• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motorcycle opinions?

I'm thinking of picking up a relatively inexpensive bike for the summer (assuming I can get this past the wife). It's been a long time since I've ridden and back then I was a kid who only wanted a rice rocket. My requirements have changed and I have no idea what sort of bike I want.

Requirements:
  • Reliable - I don't fix squat on my own, if it needs even a screwdriver, I want nothing to do with it.
  • Comfortable - None of the crouched over the handlebar stuff, my lower back is in enough pain all the time, though I probably won't be putting much in the way of miles on it. Work and back for the most part and that's about 15 miles round trip.
  • Seats two (without a side car :))
  • Powerful enough to get up and go with a 220# fat-ass
  • Used is preferred, I'd like to get into something for a couple grand if possible..

This doesn't look bad, but I know nothing about it:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/319163286.html
1996 YAMAHA VIRAGO XV535SH LOW MILES+++ - $2000

Honda Rebel - not sure if it's enough engine for my big butt
2005 Honda Rebel Motorcycle - $2000
Practically new. Only 1658 miles. Purchased in spring '06
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/317322819.html

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robr, You need to spend a bit more to get reliability and definitly 500-600cc or more to have some getup and go. Espescially if you are riding 2-up. Lots of bikes out there $3000 and less. Jeff 2006 Honda vfr with Vtec...

i've had plenty of bikes in the past but i always wanted a yamaha zuma. very cheap and great on gas. sure its a 50cc's but you could always upgrade the motor to go 75 mph

Cute, but not quite what i was thinking. besides i dont think they are legal to take on the highway.

Rob, look at your avatar and decide if you really want to get a motorcycle. I think that motorcycling is a safe and great means of transportation, but if you can't live with the risk of losing your life then don't do it.

Rob, look at your avatar and decide if you really want to get a motorcycle. I think that motorcycling is a safe and great means of transportation, but if you can't live with the risk of losing your life then don't do it.

Already considered, thanks. There's a risk in everything we do, all we can do is do our best to be careful and in this case, ride defensively and be aware of our surroundings. I thought about it when I recalled the Prime member who lost his life not long ago on his bike.

Already considered, thanks. There's a risk in everything we do, all we can do is do our best to be careful and in this case, ride defensively and be aware of our surroundings. I thought about it when I recalled the Prime member who lost his life not long ago on his bike.
rob,

i'm a long-time honda guy that has owned too many honda mc's to mention, but my sense (from the "fat butt" comment) is you'll want at least 750 cc's and a nice saddle to make it all a bit more enjoyable. my suggestion is to take your time, do good research - read up / check out some rides in person / find an old guy like me that has pampered their ride - and buy the one you want. i'd be surprised if you can't find something you like for commuting / light riding for 2-2.5k.

pm me if you'd like to chat / discuss in more detail... in any event, be safe.
hal

How about a good old Nighthawk CB750. I've got one and thought about upgrading to an ST1300 or Goldwing but for the money (and considering I don't do a lot of highway cruising), it works for me.

You should definitely get at least a 600cc bike. A 250cc bike will not have enough power to get you out of trouble. I've had bikes from all four major Japanese motorcycle companies (Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda), and Honda has been by far the most reliable. I would probably be still riding today if my motorcycles didn't keep getting stolen.

As other posters have warned, street motorcycle riding is very dangerous. I've had some close calls while riding. You could be the safest rider in the world, but all it takes is one careless driver to cripple you or kill you. I have friends who have been seriously injured by other drivers. It's really not a matter of if you will get into an accident, but when. I'm not trying to discourage you from riding; I think there's no experience like it in the world. I just hope you realize that one accident can change your whole family's life forever.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xZtetIzIW4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xZtetIzIW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I've had my fair share of sportbikes. I'm looking into other exciting motorcycles like the, BMW X moto, BMW X challenge, Suzuki DRZ400S, KTM Duke II. Now those will get ya into lots of trouble without even breaking the speed limit....well sorta...

I've had sportbikes forever......but recently a friend got a Yamaha Warrior.

It's a fun ride, not cramped with a relaxed seating position, great power, inverted forks, R1 brakes, ect

07warrior_dksilver_3_824ecb6c.jpg

I had a 94 Honda Magna a while back. Sport Cruiser is what they call it and it handles very well compared to any overfed cruiser (Bigger Honda Vtx for instance). 4 cylinder (older 750CC VFR engine) revs to 8k. Upright seating position, very easy on yoru wrists (which was a must for me as I was recovering from a broken wrist).

The only problem with that bike is that after a while you want to lean it more and more and you start scraping the exhausts. It also has rear drum brakes which can be a pain if you like to go fast! It has a huge fan following, enough chrome, plenty of power, a high revving motor and symetric 4 exhausts. Try it, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I sold it to get my VFR which I sold too after I took a spill. Decided my concentration levels were not up to the mark. However I am now itching to get the fat lady herself. A used Valkyrie.

-vamsi

How about a good old Nighthawk CB750. .

I think this is a great suggestion. Reliable as hell, plenty of parts available, comfy riding position, and enough power to get out of it's own way.

My first bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 500R (basically a 500 EX) and I think that's another great suggestion.

A 250 rebel, IMO, is dangerously under-powered (at least for the freeways here in S. CA).

Two other pieces of unsolicited advice. If you've already made the choice to accept the risks of riding a bike then:
- Get the training. The MSF courses are excellent choices.
- Spend the money where it counts. Spending a ton of coin on a gussies up, shiny, pretty bike doesn't make anywhere near the sense as spending the money on quality protective gear (read helmet, leathers, etc.).

thanks for all the suggestions and just to clarify, im not a first time bike owner. i grew up with dirt bikes (kx80, kdx200) and used to ride a zx7 which i had to dump to avoid crashing head first into an idiot that pulled out in front om me. thankfully i didnt have a scratch thouigh the bike was totalled.

I've been around the block with several different types of bikes.

For you, I'd seriously* consider the Suzuki Bandit 1200cc and Kawasaki ZRX 1200. I've owned the Suzuki and loved it for the exact reasons you provided above. The ZRX is a similar bike that I plan on owning in the near future and IMO is the best valued motorcycle presently available in the used market.

The suzuki was the most reliable, durable, and toughtest bike I've ever owned including some [new, and lower miles] Hondas.

An older FJR is also a great bike, as well as the Honda VFR [the older ones are actually favored by many more than the newer ones].

Honda CBR1100XX!

Its a GREAT bike.

Nate in DC

Attachments

• camera1_062.jpg
    camera1_062.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 55
for $2k? how reliable are italian bikes anyway :).

For $2k, unfortunately you will not find a reliable Italian bike, Only UJM will meet the price point, OTOH, Ducati's, Aprilia's are pretty reliable for weekend toy. I would not want to ride a bike for daily commute. Besides, the only thing matters if you are having fun, buy what ever bike that put a grin on you face. For me, only a Ducati will do. :smile:

Back