• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mount Palomar Drive

I'm not suprised at all, being it's the last drive of the year.:biggrin:

It's a drive not a game.:rolleyes: Sorry but could not resist.

It's all a game to me hehe. When your turbo, it's a waiting game. You dust everyone till the timer goes off and boooom, game over bullet proof engine haha. Last time I somehow hit 11.2 psi for what must have been milliseconds....... The game gets more intense each run :p

On a side note Jc, do you have a summer tune and a winter tune? I think I might have to reload Bisi's tune from march as it was colder and driving at night the car doesn't feel as smooth with the tune now. How's your turbo doing :)

My system is "set it and forget it". I totally support the KISS principal. I have way too much other stuff on my plate to have to think about what temperature it is outside and how much boost do I have or should I have to worry about blowing up the motor? I turn the key and go and go and go and.....

On a side note Jc, do you have a summer tune and a winter tune? I think I might have to reload Bisi's tune from march as it was colder and driving at night the car doesn't feel as smooth with the tune now. How's your turbo doing :)
Your ECU should compensate for different ambient temps. However, turbos are more inconsistent in general. It's their nature which also makes them more efficient at building more power but they will spike at times etc. Properly designed turbos will run more consistent. Superchargers are the most consistent since the ratio of the impellers spinning is always the same as the engine but as you know they have their downsides too.

You shouldn't need a different tune based on weather. You will want a different tune based on gasoline/boost type but generally not weather.

Check your boost controller. Turbos need a very good boost controller for them to be consistent. Have a consistent turbo then Bisi can give you a consistent tune. If the boost or other parameters keep changing/spiking then it's anyone's guess. Your ECU can only compensate so much.

As with all things in life, a compromise. It just depends on what you are willing to gain compared to what you are willing to put up with shortfalls. Me? I'm happy right where I am.

Your ECU should compensate for different ambient temps. However, turbos are more inconsistent in general. It's their nature which also makes them more efficient at building more power but they will spike at times etc. Properly designed turbos will run more consistent. Superchargers are the most consistent since the ratio of the impellers spinning is always the same as the engine but as you know they have their downsides too.

You shouldn't need a different tune based on weather. You will want a different tune based on gasoline/boost type but generally not weather.

Check your boost controller. Turbos need a very good boost controller for them to be consistent. Have a consistent turbo then Bisi can give you a consistent tune. If the boost or other parameters keep changing/spiking then it's anyone's guess. Your ECU can only compensate so much.

Nicely put Ryu, very informative. I believe that Jason's situation lends itself to these issues mainly due to the fact that his tuning is done via a piggyback instead of a standalone EMS which further limits the abilities of the stock ECU to properly compensate for varying conditions. Not saying you can't have a solid tune with piggyback, I'm just saying they're less capable of that fine tuning that makes driving a highly modified car much more "turn key". (in my experience)

You try and tell kids these things, but sometimes they just need to fall down and learn on their own :tongue:

Nicely put Ryu, very informative. I believe that Jason's situation lends itself to these issues mainly due to the fact that his tuning is done via a piggyback instead of a standalone EMS which further limits the abilities of the stock ECU to properly compensate for varying conditions. Not saying you can't have a solid tune with piggyback, I'm just saying they're less capable of that fine tuning that makes driving a highly modified car much more "turn key". (in my experience)

You try and tell kids these things, but sometimes they just need to fall down and learn on their own :tongue:

And sometimes they just don't learn.:tongue:

^I'm impressed, Jonathan! You write well and know the difference between there their they're. :biggrin: How refreshing. That's on top of the killer massages. :wink:

I am going to try and make this one.

Last edited:
And sometimes they just don't learn.:tongue:

I will always learn......just tweak the results till i get it right. There isn't a right/wrong way for me. Even bisi's tune i tweaked to fix the rough start. Every thing is a compromise......power over perfection it seems.....or the compromise of go on an epic drive, only to be behind my stench lol. What do you do, deal with the burning eyes or stay home haha.

^I'm impressed, Jonathan! You write well and know the difference between there their they're. :biggrin: How refreshing. That's on top of the killer massages. :wink:

Seriously, that's one of my biggest pet peeves Patty. However, did you think I wouldn't know the difference?

Seriously, that's one of my biggest pet peeves Patty. However, did you think I wouldn't know the difference?

Jonathan, it seems to me only old farts (like me :redface:) usually know the difference. I think my daughter (25 years-old) would, but my son (24 years-old), computer wizard that he is, well, I'd give him a 50/50 chance.

No go for me. Will be in San Francisco for the weekend. NSX is currently out if commission as well. Would have brought the MR2 if I was in town. Drive safe & have fun!

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it and that the NSX is down. I have taken a peek at the weather for the weekend and it is supposed to be gorgeous. May have to make this run topless:biggrin:

Randy (FuryNSX) has a great route planned for this drive that will take us to the top of Mount Palomar and take short break. Then down to Julian for about a 30 minute break to walk around the town and maybe pick up a pie or 2 at their famous pie shop.:biggrin: Then to Pala for lunch.

Looking forward to this drive.

Oh man...this might sound like I'm kidding but might as well have Nick build that Stroker for you!

That was a serious consideration, but after lengthy conversations with Coz last weekend I've decided to go low boost SC in 2014. Looking to build to 380-400 @wheels and call it done.

Randy (FuryNSX) has a great route planned for this drive that will take us to the top of Mount Palomar and take short break. Then down to Julian for about a 30 minute break to walk around the town and maybe pick up a pie or 2 at their famous pie shop.:biggrin: Then to Pala for lunch.

Looking forward to this drive.

Sounds great! :smile:

Back