• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to DC!

OBX

Contributing Member
Greetings,

Just received the official word this week that my wife and I are both transferring to the DC area in May. I've only spent a little bit of time in the area so any advice on decent places to live would be great. I'll be working in SW DC so my initial though was the Alexandria area but we're open to other areas. The wildcard at the moment is my wifes job. We're both in the military and there's a chance she'll be working in Baltimore. We know that could mean an extended commute if we're in DC proper. Ideally we're looking for a nice townhouse or perhaps a single family home (with a garage for the NSX of course) in the $3-4k range per month.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions on where we should look?

thanks,

Matt

Ouch! Commute between Baltimore and Alexandria is rough. Is your wife working near the Ft Meade area? I got an Air Force guy that commutes to there each day. They are buying a nice single family home on the Maryland side. Ill verify for ya when i see him.

Pm me your .mil address if you want further info

Thanks, sending a PM now.

I know it's going to be a heck of a commute and we're going to look north of DC as well just to be safe. Coming from a smaller town it's tough having so many options.

I'm PCSing there in May as well. For 3-4k a month that's a nice budget. Officers? :p

best bet is north of DC in Indian head maybe or college park area. Even commute both ways until they build the 300mph bullet train

You can check Maryland too. You might get more house for the money!

I'm PCSing there in May as well. For 3-4k a month that's a nice budget. Officers? :p

best bet is north of DC in Indian head maybe or college park area. Even commute both ways until they build the 300mph bullet train

Thanks, I'll have to check out both areas. Yeah, we're both O's.
You can check Maryland too. You might get more house for the money!

Awesome, thanks man. We'll have to catch up once we're in the area!

Matt,

First off, welcome to the area!

I would say Maryland would have your bang for the buck based on budget and requirements for a garage albeit you can find some gems in Virginia and DC...I'd throw out Bowie,MD as a nice suburban area to check out...

probably point out that the DC/MD/VA area is known for it's traffic gridlock/mess; our subway system (metro) is decent but has it's hiccups as well...

good luck!

-Jason

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the area, if you need any assistance finding a place let me know. I'm a licensed Realtor and would love to help out a fellow NSXER. You can reach me directly at 703-627-9852.

The Nation's Capital, best NSX driving weather you could ever want.
by3u3e2e.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone!

LOSTNSX I'll give you a ring tomorrow to discuss some options. We found out she's definitely headed to Baltimore so we've been researching options in MD. Found a couple really nice places in the Laurel/Bowie/Upper Marlboro area but it seems pretty rural.

Yikes! I'm in the mountains of WV right now so we're looking at the same thing!

OBX, good meeting you at NSXPO! I of course would normally be recommending Alexandria or Arlington myself, but given your wife's commuting requirements I'll have to agree with your MD-leaning choices. Good luck with the move!

Evening everyone,

Once again thank you for all of the help! We ended up finding a really nice home in Laurel, MD. Plenty of room, a nice bar and theatre room downstairs and a good-sized garage so I was sold. I was able to look at several areas and while the city of Laurel wasn't my number one choice I think it provides a good solution for both my wife and myself. I drove the route to work during rush hour and i'm at about 35-40 minutes which isn't horrible.

We have a two-year old daughter so she'll be in pre-school/kindergarten during our time there. We're looking at a couple options at the moment but will probably end up going the private route for the time being.

I'm officially in the area in two weeks and should hopefully be settled by mid-April. I'm looking forward to exploring the area and finding some local gtg's. I'm currently stationed in WV and there is no car scene whatsoever!

FF, it was great meeting you as well during XPO. Hopefully I can meet up with you guys here sometime soon. Would be nice to see some other NSX's in the wild!

Matt

Cars & coffee in Annapolis & Hunt Valley. I will meet you at your bar

Nice, glad to hear there are some local C&C's. Definitely, we plan on having people over as soon as we're settled!

Back