• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MP4-12C again

The McLaren is beautiful. No doubt about it. It's way out of my price range though. It will be interesting to see how the new Lotus Esprit stacks up against the competition.

Jim

I have a deposit on one but am not sure if I really LOVE it.

Btw have you guys seen all the ruckus caused by the 1st F458 Vs. MP4 head to head comparisons. Apparently the F458 came in 200 lbs lighter than the previous test car and the MP4 wasn't able to keep up with it on the track.:eek::eek: - Lots of chaos ensued(from the McLaren camp). There excuse was the test car had Hydraulic failure of its new suspension. I call B.S. There is a 40 page thread on it in the F458 section of ferrarichat.

was this the test done in EVO Magazine?

I read that test and it wasn't just about the Ferrari 458 being faster on a track, there were more issues with the MP4-12C than that. But anyway, I feel like they've been a bit too harsh on the MP4-12C.

Of course they were harsh on the MP4-12C for the following 3 reasons:

1. it needs to be better performing in ALL areas over a Mclaren F1
2. Uneventful name
3. Smiley face (did Mazda design engineers hack into the front bumper?)

http://www.insideline.com/mclaren/mp4-12c/2012/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-vs-1995-mclaren-f1.html

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ABIpHXiOdM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ABIpHXiOdM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

1. The 12C was never intended to replace the F1. Look for the "superexotic" replacement for the F1 to come out of McLaren in a year or so. It is no secret amongst informed people that it will surpass anything on the road today including "boutique" exotics. The 12C was born to take business away from 458 and Gallardo's. A less expensive McL will aslo be out to compete with P cars.

2. The MP4 nomencalture is one of the most sacred in the racing industry. Depending on your age, you would surely remember Ayrton Senna and his legendary MP4-4 and other dashes, some of the most glorious 4 wheel vehicles ever to grace the track.

3. Estethics are subjective and not worthy of judgement (but the Mazda grin is definitely there)

Now, that's more like it.

mclaren_lm5_4-L.jpg

mclaren_lm5_3-L.jpg

mclaren_lm5_4-L.jpg

Look for the "superexotic" replacement for the F1 to come out of McLaren in a year or so. It is no secret amongst informed people that it will surpass anything on the road today including "boutique" exotics.

:wink: I cannot wait, and keep telling myself "patience is a virtue" :biggrin:

was this the test done in EVO Magazine?

I read that test and it wasn't just about the Ferrari 458 being faster on a track, there were more issues with the MP4-12C than that. But anyway, I feel like they've been a bit too harsh on the MP4-12C.

EVO and CAR.

Like I said previously I have a deposit on one, and have already specced it out. So I should be defensive about the MP4's performance. However the fact that McLaren could actually bring a car whose suspension failed is IMHO worse than the slower lap time. They fact that a suspension failed(since this is their excuse) is IMHO absolutely pathetic and inexcusable. Ron Dennis specifically said - this car will be the best sports car in the world!! When you make stupid claims like that - YOU BETTER BACK IT UP!! Hey - the least it could do is keep up with a F458(which McLaren bought, studied, dissected and analyzed for the past 2 years). Effen MORONS!!:mad:(as u can tell I am bit ticked off).

Ritesh, you'll love the MP4. I'm sure of it. Bring it up to Hallett and wring the hell out of it. :)

Shawn - I plan to bring whatever I buy to every track in Tx and OK. You are more than welcome to show me the lines at Hallett in the MP4 or whatever I get.

I sure do hope they get all these issues sorted. I really have high hopes for the car. On the bright side - it was faster than a GT2 RS to 124 MPH and faster than it at the track. Faster than Lambo SL and MB SLS(but I don't consider the SLS to be REAL competition).

The McLaren is beautiful. No doubt about it. It's way out of my price range though. It will be interesting to see how the new Lotus Esprit stacks up against the competition.

Jim

Wasn't the new esprit rumored to be like $180K?

It sure is a beautiful car but, unless I'm missing something, there is no third pedal available. Call me crazy but I want a sports car with a manual transmission. I don't care that the double clutch can shift in 1 nano second. That's one of the reasons I like the Zonda so much.

When you have a street legal car that will go to 124MPH(200KPH) in a little over 9 seconds you don't want to have to deal with a clutch pedal - you might be fighting to keep up with the car! Think of that, this car will go over 90MPH before a stock NSX gets to 60MPH. This is progress that I'll embrace. With this car I want a clutch that can shift error free in 1 nano second whether I am going straight or driving through the twisties.

Go drive a car that goes to 100MPH in 6 seconds on a deserted 2-lane street that has curbs on each side and see what I mean. The last thing you want to do is take your hands off the wheel - that's a wild ride and things happen real fast.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...ves/McLaren-MP4-12C-supercar-CAR-review-2011/

2012 McLaren MP4-12C - Tech Trickledown:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...2c-first_drive_review/tech_trickledown_page_2

When you have a street legal car that will go to 124MPH(200KPH) in a little over 9 seconds you don't want to have to deal with a clutch pedal - you might be fighting to keep up with the car! Think of that, this car will go over 90MPH before a stock NSX gets to 60MPH. This is progress that I'll embrace. With this car I want a clutch that can shift error free in 1 nano second whether I am going straight or driving through the twisties.

Go drive a car that goes to 100MPH in 6 seconds on a deserted 2-lane street that has curbs on each side and see what I mean. The last thing you want to do is take your hands off the wheel - that's a wild ride and things happen real fast.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...ves/McLaren-MP4-12C-supercar-CAR-review-2011/

2012 McLaren MP4-12C - Tech Trickledown:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...2c-first_drive_review/tech_trickledown_page_2

its not that hard to drive a fast car with a manual, been there, done that. unless you are hunting for the fastest lap, there is not really an issue... don't drive beyond your ability and you are fine. i am far from a diehard manual fan, but even i must have the real thing over a dual clutch auto...

^^^ Which street legal, late model, unmodified supercar have you driven hard on city streets that will go to 60 in 3 seconds, or to 90 in about 9 seconds?

^^^ Which street legal, late model, unmodified supercar have you driven hard on city streets that will go to 60 in 3 seconds, or to 90 in about 9 seconds?

none, because i'm not an idiot... but i have driven a rally car hard, on narrow dirt roads with hazards on both sides, that will accelerate that fast.

sure in a racing condition, a clutchless system may be faster, but for the street... a manual is more rewarding to drive, especially for people who like manuals... and you are an absolute idiot if you drive in the way you are describing.

^^^ Presumptious statement, calling someone you have no clue about an absolute idiot, really??...blow out those flames. Deep breath. Count to 10. Exhale.

It is good that you have never accelerated at WOT or driven hard on a city street in a supercar with that much power, because someone who did that would have to be an absolute idiot.

You missed my point. I wasn't talking about driving a a mid-engine rear bias exotic street legal car that handles like no other and has enormous HP and lb-ft.car at the limit on a drag straight or runway like the Texas Mile in a straight line where you have room for error and can point the car and take time to shift.

Here is what I was talking about: Driving in the real world, driving in a confined space on a city street, or in wet conditions, or on a race track with other cars is where shifting on a steering wheel is far more advantagous than moving your hand away in a car like the MP4-12C. With that much power, and all that going on, keeping your hands on the wheel and letting the car manage the shifts is the way to go.

Yes, we all enjoy shifting manual transmission on our cars. But it is a whole different world driving a car like the MP4-12C on city streets, and not many of us get to experience the world from that view on any venue.

I only have a 300 hp but I have driven a 600 hp viper coupe on track and the shifting was the least of my worries.Watching videos of Billy driving the fx time atack car and Kip racing his 550hp nsx I can see no detrimental issues with high horsepower and rowing a gearbox...in fact I rather like it,esp rewarding when you can downshift quickly ala heel/toe.:smile:

I only have a 300 hp but I have driven a 600 hp viper coupe on track and the shifting was the least of my worries.Watching videos of Billy driving the fx time atack car and Kip racing his 550hp nsx I can see no detrimental issues with high horsepower and rowing a gearbox...in fact I rather like it,esp rewarding when you can downshift quickly ala heel/toe.:smile:

I hear what you're saying. EX: I like single tracking my mountain bike which has zero suspension - no front fork or rear suspension - yes, the front fork suspension is better, blah blah blah, but crazy as it sounds I personally like how light and responsive it feels w/o suspension. The majority of folks who are buying the newest stuff want suspension bikes, auto transmissions, power hardtops, digital cameras, etc...

Those of us that like manual transmissions (3-pedal system) are going to find it tougher and tougher to find newer cars that have them at any level. Whether a new Civic or a supercar like the MP4-12C, 3-pedal systems are going the way of VHS and film.

I understand the desire to want to row through the gears but the writing is on the wall, fellas: paddle shifters are the future.

For me, the driving satisfaction is about the same for both.

well if you guys are correct and flappy is the new default then I will market a "faux" clutch pedal and dummy shifter knob,I'll be rich fabulously rich....:tongue:

EVO and CAR.

Like I said previously I have a deposit on one, and have already specced it out. So I should be defensive about the MP4's performance. However the fact that McLaren could actually bring a car whose suspension failed is IMHO worse than the slower lap time. They fact that a suspension failed(since this is their excuse) is IMHO absolutely pathetic and inexcusable. Ron Dennis specifically said - this car will be the best sports car in the world!! When you make stupid claims like that - YOU BETTER BACK IT UP!! Hey - the least it could do is keep up with a F458(which McLaren bought, studied, dissected and analyzed for the past 2 years). Effen MORONS!!:mad:(as u can tell I am bit ticked off).

Made out of carbon fiber. weighs 2,886 pounds, puts out 600 hp.

Produced by one of the most storied racing car companies in history that has previously only produced one road car - which is thought by many to be one of the greatest cars of all time.

I don't think I would be losing too much sleep if I had one on order. That is all.

0-100 in 6 Seconds
1/4 Mile 10.9 @135mph :eek:

I bet those turbo's are putting out about 12psi and that's just a wild guess.

EVO and CAR.

At least it hasn't caught fire! As noted above McLaren is a state of the art racing company and I wouldn't worry too much. Its still a stunner and not your run of the mill F-car.

Come to Dubai there's tons of 458's running around. I'm yet to see a McLaren.

Back