• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MP4-12C again

Such a beautiful car:

McLaren_MP4-12C_Road_Test_12.jpg

It's number one on my list of "cars I want and could theoretically afford at some point".

GAWD! This McLaren is the NSX all over again for me. I'll keep an NSX in the garage and try to save for one of these.

Such a beautiful car made by a F1 racing team. Love it in the Orange color for sure.

I don't think the MP4 is nearly as drop-dead sexy as a Lambo but this is really everything the 2nd Gen NSX could have been and, hopefully, can still be!

I can really appreciate the efficiency of design. The 25mpg is simply a byproduct of that effort. I like this... "Cake possessed and consumed simultaneously." haha

Gordon Murray loves the NSX and actually used it as a basis for the F1... i'm sure its inspiration carried onto this car as well, but i see some 300ZX TT in it too... :biggrin:

It sure is a beautiful car but, unless I'm missing something, there is no third pedal available. Call me crazy but I want a sports car with a manual transmission. I don't care that the double clutch can shift in 1 nano second. That's one of the reasons I like the Zonda so much.

It sure is a beautiful car but, unless I'm missing something, there is no third pedal available. Call me crazy but I want a sports car with a manual transmission. I don't care that the double clutch can shift in 1 nano second.

exactly, then again, these days we are seeing self-parking cars, blind spot warning systems, radar-based cruise controls along with twat ticklers, back massagers and coffee warmers because thats what our brilliant society gravitates towards- a complete lack of responsibility and involvment.

I have an aftermarket twat tickler installed in the NSX. On a side note, it also warms coffee.

hmmmm....you can have the first cup:eek:

It sure is a beautiful car but, unless I'm missing something, there is no third pedal available. Call me crazy but I want a sports car with a manual transmission. I don't care that the double clutch can shift in 1 nano second. That's one of the reasons I like the Zonda so much.

Many of us feel this way but you really cant stop evolution. It is said that no other than Sterling Moss ( if you're as old as me you would know of him) and many of his contemporary racers and car people strongly objected to the introduction of disc brakes stating that drum brakes were the real thing, a manly way to feel the braking power thru your leg muscles and that disc brakes were for sissies and did not allow real feel. History proved them wrong and will prove us just as wrong too.

well i don't really love the styling... it sure doesn't hold a candle to the NSX or 300ZX TT. performance is undeniable, though. i only try to keep my old cars competitive to these new supercars as my bank account allows. new technology is cool, but it really is nice to just jump into a car and drive. i can honestly say that if i won the lotto i'd simply build my cars up... only reason i would get a modern supercar is for a reliable daily driver, haha.

I keep thinking that there's really no better deal out there than a clean, used NSX. I mean for $30K-$40K you can really get a beautiful exotic car that's drivable, dependable, rare, affordable to maintain, etc. What else can you buy for $35K that is as much of a bargain today?

Doesn't exist. A car that's labeled a "supercar" like the NSX that's under $100,000 used that's also reliable? Doesn't exist.
You could maybe argue a used Porsche 911 Turbo is kind of a supercar, but I can't imagine putting 300,000 miles on a 911 motor. I imagine a 911 would need 4-5 engine rebuilds to hit 300,000 miles.
If you go more expensive, I would think a Ford GT would maybe be reliable???

dodge viper fits the bill for bargain supercar... but i test drove one and i got an NSX... so yeah. :wink:

I have a deposit on one but am not sure if I really LOVE it.

Btw have you guys seen all the ruckus caused by the 1st F458 Vs. MP4 head to head comparisons. Apparently the F458 came in 200 lbs lighter than the previous test car and the MP4 wasn't able to keep up with it on the track.:eek::eek: - Lots of chaos ensued(from the McLaren camp). There excuse was the test car had Hydraulic failure of its new suspension. I call B.S. There is a 40 page thread on it in the F458 section of ferrarichat.

I have a deposit on one but am not sure if I really LOVE it.

Btw have you guys seen all the ruckus caused by the 1st F458 Vs. MP4 head to head comparisons. Apparently the F458 came in 200 lbs lighter than the previous test car and the MP4 wasn't able to keep up with it on the track.:eek::eek: - Lots of chaos ensued(from the McLaren camp). There excuse was the test car had Hydraulic failure of its new suspension. I call B.S. There is a 40 page thread on it in the F458 section of ferrarichat.

Yeah, I've read that whole thread. Definitely some chaos. I saw the Mclaren on the road the other day. Was dirty as heck, but still looked great driving by.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/mclaren-planning-to-invest-1-billion-to-introduce-13-new-models/

I keep thinking that there's really no better deal out there than a clean, used NSX. I mean for $30K-$40K you can really get a beautiful exotic car that's drivable, dependable, rare, affordable to maintain, etc. What else can you buy for $35K that is as much of a bargain today?

An EVO X MR. Adds AWD, DCT, three more seats, a real trunk, OE navigation and gobs of power to be had for little $$ comparatively. I sold a 600whp EVO VIII for my NSX so clearly I'm with you guys, but the EVO X MR is a helluva car for the money. The VIIIs and IXs are a little too boy racer for me now but the X is a different story. My wife will have one soon so I can possess my cake and consume it simultaneously :)

Tom

The GT3 version is gorgeous.

img_car.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C-GT3-22.jpg

Yes, that's more like it.

Why can't they just come that sexy for the consumer market?

Mclaren street version cars just looks too conservative as compared to a Zonda or the new and sold out Aventador (now that's a sick as car)....

An EVO X MR. Adds AWD, DCT, three more seats, a real trunk, OE navigation and gobs of power to be had for little $$ comparatively. I sold a 600whp EVO VIII for my NSX so clearly I'm with you guys, but the EVO X MR is a helluva car for the money. The VIIIs and IXs are a little too boy racer for me now but the X is a different story. My wife will have one soon so I can possess my cake and consume it simultaneously :)

Tom

The EVO X MR might be a great car with the needed performance but it's a 3,600 pound 4 door sedan made from steel. It's hardly a sports car.

Last edited:
The EVO X MR might be a great car with the needed performance but it's a 3,600 pound 4 door sedan made from steel. It's hardly a sports car.

If you haven't driven one, you should. It will surprise you.

The new McLaren makes me excited the same way the NSX did 20 years ago. Maybe if I wait another 20 years I'll be able to own the MP4-12C :)

Tom

If you haven't driven one, you should. It will surprise you.

The new McLaren makes me excited the same way the NSX did 20 years ago. Maybe if I wait another 20 years I'll be able to own the MP4-12C :)

Tom

No, I'll stipulate that the EVO is a fast, nice handling sedan. Just like the 335i which isn't that much more expensive.

But it's not a sports car. If I was looking for an affordable new sports car I'd rather go with the Miata.

2 seats, 2 doors, RWD or maybe 4WD, light weight, fun to drive, excellent handling, not neccesarily with Gobs of power. That's a sports car.

Back