• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

My 97 is looking like it has the dreaded failed Climate Control Board problem...

Well, my 1997 with only 10k miles on her has decided to not run the blower motor on anything but the top two fan speed settings (top two clicks). The display is still fully operational, and the AC compressor kicks in corretly, but no low blower speeds. I guess this is another example of how its not just the mileage, but the years passing by which require you to perform maintainece.

I have a couple of questions though, that I hope a few of you can answer. In my research on taking care of this problem here on Prime, I noticed that most of the threads which talked about this problem were on early 91-92 NSXs. This is common to all years isn't it? Anyone else with a 97+ had their climate control unit fail?

Let me know if your CC head has failed. I just acquired a 1997 CC unit which is in great working order. I got it because I thought my 92 one was on its way out. Im pretty sure that its only my freon level which is causing my hot air problem. I hope thats it anyway. Good luck to you.

Mine failed on a 94 - it is a heat related problem. As I understand it, this is inherent to the design, and is on all NSXes. Not to worry, it is an easy and cheap fix.

White94 said:
Mine failed on a 94 - it is a heat related problem. As I understand it, this is inherent to the design, and is on all NSXes. Not to worry, it is an easy and cheap fix.

I'm going to do the capactor replacement fix this weekend. Its probably that one right next to the transistors that I've seen in the threads on this, but I'll replace them all just to be sure. Hopefully that will do the trick, but there is always that nervous feeling hanging over until after things are good again. So I hope its just the caps.

The cc board on my 97 also failed. Good luck and careful not to scratch the dash while taking it apart.

hlweyl said:
The cc board on my 97 also failed. Good luck and careful not to scratch the dash while taking it apart.
Thanks Hlweyl - I feel better now knowing that I am not the only person with a 97 who's CC board failed. So how/where did you scratch the dash so I can try to avoid making the same mistake.

NetViper said:
Here is one on ebay. I have no realtion or knowledge of the seller.
That one is being sold by BrianK here on Prime. He repairs these boards on the side and does great work from what I have heard. If I can't repair the board myself I'll go that route, but if its just a set of Caps and maybe a trace repair or two, then it should be a pretty streight forward fix.

I know the parts place I use here in Melbourne should have most of the capacitors I will need to repair this board, but I would like to pick them up or order them all tomorrow before I start ripping my console apart.

Now, I could have sworn that there was a thread that listed all the capacitors (uf and volts), that were required for this repair that I saw somwhere on Prime a while back, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Anyone have the link to it?

Thanks

my 97 blew also, briank has done excellent work at a reasonable price on these. you may want to pm him.

dnicho05 said:
Thanks Hlweyl - I feel better now knowing that I am not the only person with a 97 who's CC board failed. So how/where did you scratch the dash so I can try to avoid making the same mistake.

Fortunately, I was very careful while doing the various prying and didn't scratch anything on the dash. I read many posts about the subject before attempting it and there were many comments made about scratching the dash. It seems to be quite delicate.

The little silver ring on top of the shift boot is also very delicate, I did put a small mark on that. There are tabs at 6 and 12 o'clock that have to be pushed in then the boot gets pulled down.

good luck

Back