• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My attempt at a DIY cabin air filter

Like many of you, the absence of a filter between the cabin and the Great Dirty Beyond has caused me considerable consternation. And, like many of you, I’ve been interested in a simple, OEM-maintaining (or at least, a non-OEM-destroying) solution. Keep in mind that this is for a 1991 NSX, I don’t know if it applies to later years. Here’s what you’ll need:

FRAM CA 9115 air filter
Tape measure
Heavy shears (I used trauma shears, a wire cutter would work too)
A knife (take your wife's best kitchen knife, she'll give you a great big hug)
An Ethicon medium titanium clip-applier (or I guess, if you had to, tape would work too)

The CA9115 air filter fits perfectly width-wise into the intake duct, but it’s exactly 3 inches too long. To keep it’s nice oval shape, I elected to remove 3 inches from the middle and pull the sides together. Downside is that the filter would be interrupted (i.e. gaposis), upside is that it would fit flush.

DSC_1215.jpg

First, I removed the black rubber gasket which comes with the filter. Next, after measuring carefully, I used the shears to cut through the thick plastic ring at opposite sides of the filter. The knife was used to cut the filter element itself. I chose apposing apices of the folds of the filter element; this would allow simple re-approximation later. If you hold the filter so that you’re looking at the underside (the side with the longer filter-folds), you can count 18 folds. The simplest thing to do, is to remove 6 of those. I chose the 6 immediately around midline, but I guess it doesn’t matter. Last, I trimmed the gasket and did this in an off-set fashion to preserve as much function as possible. The pictures will explain better.

Here’s the removed pieces. Note that there are 6 complete folds on the table-side (that’s the filter’s long side...bad picture) while there are only 5 complete filter-folds and 2 half-folds on the up-side (shorter part) of the filter.
DSC_1214.jpg

Putting it back together was pretty straightforward. Heck, with the gasket in place, the thing almost holds itself together. Here it is from the underside:

DSC_1212.jpg

I didn’t even bother gluing the gasket to the filter, there was no need. To deal with the gaposis on the filter element itself, I chose the handyman’s secret weapon: an Ethicon Medium Titanium Clip-applier. I’m sure you all have one sitting around the garage....

DSC_1224.jpg

A strip of masking tape would suffice. Here’s the result (sunnyside-up):

DSC_1211.jpg

It drops in (without any chance of falling in). It fits snug. It’s reproducible. It’s easy to make. It cost $14.00 at Checker. It gives you something to do between beers on a Friday night. I’d say it’s a pretty fair solution to a problem I didn’t even know I had.

Just for completeness-sake, I made sure that my fan blew as usual, and it does. That’s key, of course, in this God-Forsaken desert in which I currently live.

I’m happy to help if anyone cares to give this a go.

Best of luck,

Uecker

Sure, ANY filter will work if you cut it down properly.

Based on that thread, I went to Checker and looked at the FRAM filter for a 98 Buick Regal GS. I may have misread or it may have been mis-boxed, but the one I found was both too wide AND too long. After a brief hunt and using a template I made of the intake duct on my '91, I found the CA9115. It requires less prep and has the added benefits of already being oval and including a gasket.

Uecker

Got a pre-chopped filter picture of the one you used? like a before/after.

I'm anxious to try this as it's a CHEAP alternative to the new high dollar part coming out now.

Hello, Can you post some pictures of the filter installed in the car.

I like your solution !

Thanks. Bram

Here yah go.

Even though I didn't experience any appreciable difference in fan strength, the serpentiginous pathway outside air had to take to get to the fan, the narrowed apperature secondary to filter-fold proximity to the plastic cowl-thing, and the remote possibility of fan motor burn-out from increased resistance, led me to make an additional quick mod:

I cut 2 cm off the plastic oval-shaped the filter rests on.

Yeah, I did it. I used a razor blade. And, I know, it goes against my "don't do anything you can't undo" axiom, but there you have it.

Attachments

• DSC_1227.jpg
    DSC_1227.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,214
One more thing: the picture was taken before I cut the plastic thing down. It looks just the same now: imagine it 2 cm further from the camera...

Uecker

I think this is a perfect solution, simple, easy to install and the part is readily available. No major drawbacks that I can forsee.

I will do this project on my car.

Thanks for sharing.

Bram

Here yah go.

Even though I didn't experience any appreciable difference in fan strength, the serpentiginous pathway outside air had to take to get to the fan, the narrowed apperature secondary to filter-fold proximity to the plastic cowl-thing, and the remote possibility of fan motor burn-out from increased resistance, led me to make an additional quick mod:

I cut 2 cm off the plastic oval-shaped the filter rests on.

Yeah, I did it. I used a razor blade. And, I know, it goes against my "don't do anything you can't undo" axiom, but there you have it.

10blade,
Are you a Ethicon rep??
I don't think that cost $14.00, you didn't account for the cost of the medium titanium clips. :)

Great idea and great execution but is there any reason you went with an automotive filter vice a HEPA filter?

Thanks. I found greater variation in sizes with the automotive filter and was very happy with the fit with that particular FRAM product. A little work on the right HEPA filter would work like a charm. Hell, a piece of cotton and a rubber band would work. :biggrin:

HPV100:
Yeah, I bet those go for 2-300$ each. It's a disposable unit unused from a recent surgery. I'm a surgical resident 9 months away from being unleashed on an unsuspecting public. If I hadn't snapped it up, it'd be in the trash.

BRAM:
Sounds great! You don't NEED to take 2cm off the oval-shaped plastic intake under the cowl. I did it to give allow slightly more clearance, and, theoretically, a wider mouth, as things are pretty tight in there (even without any mods...I can't believe it's engineered like that.) And, as my remark to HPV100 makes clear, when I encounter a problem, I often resort to the knife.

Uecker

I'm impressed - As a new member to Prime, you've done a great job researching old threads on your own instead of asking the same old questions. The old Forums Nazi would be proud!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/member.php/4428-Forums-Nazi

HAHA - thanks! I was spoiled coming from the M3 world where the forums are much more active. Fortunately, I've found there's just as much info on the NSX...just need to go back in time bit.

Easy mod is to use a NAPA #6646 cabin air filter. Drops right in with one or two fins outside the frame on the ends. Half-hour job, and the pins that hold the panel in place are easy to deal with.

Last edited:
As I approach 18 years of ownership, I may have to do this mod.

A big benefit is how much less dust gets into the interior, stays much cleaner longer.

I used the Napa 6646 filter. I used the right side frame and then cut the left side to fit. I pressed it on and then left one fin on the left outside and taped it in place. Seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Is there an alternative from FRAM. This should be easier to get by in Europe.

The Fram CA 9115 was only used on the '00-05 Toyota Echo and the 04-06 Scion XA / XB. If those cars were imported in to Europe you may be able to find an equivalent filter from a European supplier. Otherwise its cut and measure. Oops, I meant measure and cut.

Back