• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

My Family and I are in Chicago

What are you "Well traveled Chicagoians suggesting we take in?
We are going to the Zoo (Which one is best?)
Museums?
Lil shopping?
Sears Tower?
ect.
Where should I not go?
Thanks
Len

Congrats you made it out there! My suggestions:

Giordanos
Chicago chop house
Room and board (i remember you asked about furniture 2 blocks off the main street)

Do not go:
Walgreens on Madison/Michigan (on the big street that begins with M) ave

len3.8 said:
We are going to the Zoo (Which one is best?)
Well, you have a choice. And all three are great choices, with a nice variety of animals, in lovely settings.

Lincoln Park Zoo is close to downtown (three miles north). It's compact so you can see all of it without walking all day long. The Children's Zoo portion is new. And yes, it's free.

Brookfield Zoo is about a 35 minute drive west-southwest of downtown. It's spread out, so you'll do a lot of walking. It's more of a park-like setting, like the St. Louis Zoo (except that Brookfield charges admission).

The Shedd Aquarium has some very nice exhibits as well; it's not just fish. The Oceanarium re-creates the environment of the Northwest Coast, and the pools holding the beluga whales and dolphins look like an extension of Lake Michigan. It's also part of the "museum campus", so it's walking distance from the Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs!).

len3.8 said:
You bet! Start with the Art Institute.

The Art Institute is right next to Chicago's newest attraction, which is well worth spending an hour or two: Millennium Park. Unfortunately, the Cloud Gate sculpture ("the bean") is being repaired and not visible. But you can see the Frank Gehry-designed bandshell, and the Crown Fountain with its glass blocks showing faces of Chicagoans. It's a beautiful new park.

Note - If the weather is hot (likely, since we're having our hottest, driest summer in recorded history), the kids should wear bathing suits to Millennium Park; they can splash in the Crown Fountain.

If you like sports, go to a baseball game at Wrigley Field (preferable) or Comiskey Park (no, we don't call it by its corporate name).

For more ideas, the website for the Chicago Convention and Tourism Bureau is www.choosechicago.com.

len3.8 said:
Lil shopping?
Of course! Michigan Avenue is a good place to start.

There are TONS of great restaurants, and it all depends on what kind of food you (and your kids) like. Ask the concierge at your hotel for suggestions.

len3.8 said:
Where should I not go?
Home. :D

^---couldn't have stated it any better... :biggrin:

Thanks guys for the great suggestions... I am off to a late start this am...
We will be here for a few so I will get as many suggestions in as possible...
I am looking forward to my first time touring this city....

Len

forgot....

there's also the historical or architectural river cruise....if you want to know more about Chicago...

djskyy said:
there's also the historical or architectural river cruise....if you want to know more about Chicago...
Those are GREAT suggestions.

For more information on tours, including those by boat as well as on foot, click here. You'll see links for neighborhood tours, sightseeing boats, architecture tours, etc.

Okay Guys keep them suggestions coming... Just finished with the Adler and the Shedd Aquarium... Man it took us from 12:00 to closing just to finish the two...
I had no Idea that Lake shore drive had the views that it has... It is plain beautiful down there... We are extending our stay to take in some more scenery... We also bought the City Pass $$$$ :eek: , so I guess we will be visiting a few more places tomorrow... My kids love the Museums and Art galleries at home, so I know that we will be in them all day tomorrow... Field Museum, Art Institute and the Lincoln park Zoo are on the agenda for tomorrow...We are going to start a couple of hours early tomorrow...

Awesome suggestions guys, they suit my families interests very well..
Any exotic car dealers close are in the downtown area. Also looking for a good suggestion on a watch dealer with a very wide range of vintage and new watches...

I know I can look in the yellow pages, but I would rather not guess when I am on a limited time schedule... So if you have anymore favorites keep the coming....

Don't worry about the bars or wine joints... We don't drink at all.
Is there a historic district here, that is undergoing heavy rehabbing? i would love to steal some ideals...

Thanks
Len

len3.8 said:
Is there a historic district here, that is undergoing heavy rehabbing? i would love to steal some ideals...
If you like movies, check out the Music Box Theatre. www.musicboxtheatre.com

It was built in the 20's, and it's a pretty cool "old school" type of theatre. If you can, go on the weekend, they have an organist who plays between movies (and provides the soundtrack for silent films, when they show them). I don't think he is there during the weekdays, but it's still a pretty cool place to see movies in a historic setting. They mostly show independent films, and old movies (not just silent, they play a lot of Hitchcock and other stuff as well). If you go, just make sure whatever you see is in the "main" theater. The smaller one is a later addition and is not nearly as cool (not to mention is very tiny...it can probably only hold 50 people).

Try Bentley Gold Coast on 834 North Rush, they have a variety of exotics. For watches go to Tourneau Watch at Water Tower Place, which I believe is right on Michigan Ave.

Watches and cars go together like chocolate and peanut butter :biggrin:

Well we swam down Michigan Ave. today... :biggrin: Serious down pour and wind hampered our shopping outing... Kinda glad , didn't really want to spend any time in the women's stores anyway...Was able to get into a nice watch shop (Swiss Time ?????) Anyway they had some nice pieces, just not what I was looking for...Brocz I am definitely going to Tourneau Watch tomorrow..
We were able to hiy the Lincoln Park Zoo... good suggestion, small and quaint, just the way I like them... In and out in 2-3 hours...

We also decided to do the Lake Michigan Circle tour, we stopped after getting to Highland Park.. My daughter says there is a Silver NSX at Pauly... I didn't see it... She wanted to visit Northwestern and Franklin.. so we obliged.

The houses and the Neighborhoods up that way are very nice.. I really liked the scenery... The rain kind of kept us from doing our originally planned outing, so we will hit the Museums and Millenium tomorrow..

We also were able to go to Giordanos... It was a decent Pie, not the best by far, but very decent... The geese at the Forest preserve surely liked it... :smile:

Thanks again...

len3.8 said:
We also were able to go to Giordanos... It was a decent Pie, not the best by far, but very decent...
Did you get the stuffed pizza? Because that's what's great there - not the thin crust crap.

cover.jpg

Best pizza I've ever had. YPMV.

nsxtasy said:
Did you get the stuffed pizza? Because that's what's great there - not the thin crust crap.

cover.jpg

Best pizza I've ever had. YPMV.

Yeah we did... My wife and youngest daughter were upchucking it all last night... may have been a virus though... The little one was complaining before we actually ate... Decent but not great... I am picky though.
I would go again. I think I would order different toppings.... We had Sausage-mushrooms and canadian bacon...

Spent the day at the Field Museum... All day,,Then we were off to visit BIG JOHN, that was pretty cool... Also stopped in at the Bentley dealer on N. Rush.. They have an 02 (Imola/Tan?) with 32K on it asking 59K...

We went to Marshall Fields and shopped a little and ate at Foodlife, which had an interesting concept.
While walking back to our truck, we noticed a Red 95+ NSX parked out front at Ditka's restaurant... Chrome/Polished wheels and all...

Well tomorrow we see The Art Institue and Millenium Park... Then it is off to Minneapolis...

Back