• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

My First Intern Job..moving into the blue collar neighborhood

I just got my first intern job at a public school district doing some database programming and networking. Im one step closer to my NSX. wish me luck. Does anyone else here remember their first intern job or does anyone have any good advice to give me please. it would be well appreciated as I, myself am an inexperience lad compare to you adults (work force of course).

Tell them you don't like being late for work. When I would interview the potential applicants to work here, I would make it very clear "be at work on time". 2 minutes late means your still late. Some people here at work think 5 minutes late everyday is "okay". Trust me, management notices. Good luck, hope it works out.:smile:

Stay away from the women. They'll get you into trouble if they like you...and they'll get you into trouble if they don't like you. Hell, they'll get you into trouble even if you don't talk to em.

Impress them with what you can DO, not what you KNOW (or think you know). This is directly related to the "listen, don't talk" advice already given. Always be willing and eager to learn. Develop a superlative work ethic by going above and beyond the bare minimum required of you. When the internship is over, a glowing review will help you stand out amongst other candidates.

First impressions mean alot,try to make a good one.Remember your less than stellar begginings on prime:wink: Plus don't base your work ethic on a single material goal,ie the nsx,who's to say your wants and needs won't change in the future.Your goals should ultimately be based on many rewards like personal satisfaction.

Tell them you don't like being late for work. When I would interview the potential applicants to work here, I would make it very clear "be at work on time". 2 minutes late means your still late. Some people here at work think 5 minutes late everyday is "okay". Trust me, management notices. Good luck, hope it works out.:smile:

Remember... this internship is like a 3 month job interview =)

Wow, I can never work for you. :smile: I almost never make it into work on time and I'm typically at least 30 minutes late everyday, sometimes up to an hour.

Having said that, I often work 3-6 hours past quitting time and the occasional weekend. In fact, I average about 55-60 hours per week.

+1, with a bit of fine tuning: show them you don't like being late for work.

Pay careful attention to the work place dynamic though... and after your internship is done... you should really ask yourself.... would I actually want to work here?......

1. Listen, don't talk (already said here)
2. Don't kiss @ss, but show respect
3. Others will make @sses of themselves; let them do it alone
4. Don't drink heavily at Happy Hour
5. Try to find out who has the real power in the office - it's not always the boss
6. Most importantly - deliver results (which means, don't be afraid to ask for clarification on deliverables and then deliver)
7. Take every opportunity to help others. The others will talk about how good you are and that will get back to the bosses.

1. Listen, don't talk (already said here)
2. Don't kiss @ss, but show respect
3. Others will make @sses of themselves; let them do it alone
4. Don't drink heavily at Happy Hour
5. Try to find out who has the real power in the office - it's not always the boss
6. Most importantly - deliver results (which means, don't be afraid to ask for clarification on deliverables and then deliver)
7. Take every opportunity to help others. The others will talk about how good you are and that will get back to the bosses.

I had an internship when I was 14 but my first real internship at a tech company was last year when I was 17. Pay as a network engineer, even if it's only as an intern, is great ;-)

#1 you can ignore (depending on who you are), #3 is a yes #4 is disputable, #6 is a def yes, the more autonomous and over the top you are on EVERYTHING the better :-).I've even gotten bonuses this way...

so far i have been working on a database that i created for a day care program at the school. so far so good as that is my only project so far, maybe within this week ill be done with it. hope it gets good review.

Wow, I can never work for you. :smile: I almost never make it into work on time and I'm typically at least 30 minutes late everyday, sometimes up to an hour.

Having said that, I often work 3-6 hours past quitting time and the occasional weekend. In fact, I average about 55-60 hours per week.
LOL, you don't understand. Where I work people want to show up casually late, but will not work one minute past 5:00.:rolleyes:

My biggest advice is to NOT get caught up in the disgruntled employee crowd. Almost every company i have ever worked for has a group of people who only see the dark side of the company and they try and drag everyone else into the same thinking. Of course it is no surprise that those people are always the ones getting let go when times get tough.

I started at the bottom of every company i ever worked at and quickly moved to the top of all of them. Keep your head down and work hard and before you know it, the next time you look up everyone will be behind you. Don't let your age hold you back. I have leap frogged people with more experience and education my entire life by simply out working them all. When push comes to shove, production is ALWAYS your best asset.

My biggest advice is to NOT get caught up in the disgruntled employee crowd. Almost every company i have ever worked for has a group of people who only see the dark side of the company and they try and drag everyone else into the same thinking. Of course it is no surprise that those people are always the ones getting let go when times get tough.

+2, work hard and they'll be impressed and give you more to do. Personally I HAVE to have 2-5 things on my plate or I get bored. Surround yourself instead with the light harted people who can take a joke and you'll be much happier and have people to go to for help :-). Trogdor is a good character to know ;-).

Back