• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My keyless entry system is not working...ARGH!! HELP!!

Okay, so I took my car to the Acura dealership to get the positive battery cable replaced (which is a HUGE cable and job, by the way), and when I picked up my baby NSX from them today the keyless entry did not work! The little red light on the remote comes on, but nothing happens with the doors. Yes, it worked just fine before all of this happened.

Some background on this. Last weekend I washed the car and noticed that there was smoke and a sizzle coming from under the hood. The smoke was coming from the positive battery terminal. I disconnect the ground, then try to disconnect the positive terminal (both of which had a lot of corrosion on them), and the circular end on the positive terminal separates about 3/4 of the way, leaving a significant crack in the circular end. The dealership says as long as there is a connection, I can drive it in. I go to start it, barely any power (the battery is fairly new, so this strikes me as odd). I try to jump it, and the positive terminal turns red and smokes. I disconnect the terminal immediately, and go in the house for a drink. After a few days, I call a tow trunk and have it flatbedded to the Acura dealer where the replace the cable and brings me to right now, with no working keylss entry. All of the fuses in the box under the hood seem fine. Where else should I look? What could it be? I just had to shake my head and growl. :frown: :mad:

I'd like to see the outcome of this. My fact. keyless entry works most of the time but there are still times when it does not work. Batts. are fresh so thats out. If I play with it a little eventually it unlocks.:confused:

I was thinking that it might be a battery problem. I know you said it was new, but not charging.

well, I would try swinging by and see if they can reprogram them in the driveway... not sure what year you have but I know on alot of our owners cars we just do a 2 sec procedure to learn the remote(I work for a honda service dept.) and off they go smiling, the sad part is we do stuff like that for free and people still complain!

well, I would try swinging by and see if they can reprogram them in the driveway... not sure what year you have but I know on alot of our owners cars we just do a 2 sec procedure to learn the remote(I work for a honda service dept.) and off they go smiling, the sad part is we do stuff like that for free and people still complain!

Thank you for the reply. That was one of the first things I asked them, was if I needed to have the system reprogrammed, and they did not seem to think that was it. How can I do it myself? I may just try it today to see if it works since they cannot get my car in again until Thursday.

There should be no need to re-program taking off the power doesn't do anything to the programming of the carunit.
If it did work before and not after, It must almost certainly have to do something with the work done.
I would say that during the work they probably damaged/perhaps disconnected a wire (connection) of the entry system wiring.

Change the FUSE !!!

the fuse often blows when the battery is changed(or battery cable removed)
The fuse is under the glove box.

Change the FUSE !!!

That is what I thought too, but they said they checked those. I will go check it myself. Is there only one set of fuses under the glove box to check?

There should be no need to re-program taking off the power doesn't do anything to the programming of the carunit.
If it did work before and not after, It must almost certainly have to do something with the work done.
I would say that during the work they probably damaged/perhaps disconnected a wire (connection) of the entry system wiring.

Yes, it has worked fine for the several years I have owned the car, and now it is not working. The frustrating thing is now if I lock it with the key, the freaking alarm still goes off if I unlock it with the key!! At least it did today when I went to the grocery store, unlocked the trunk...it was fine...I unlocked the door...BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! It was frustrating. :mad:

Change the FUSE !!!

Thank you sptrader and NSX Prime!! I followed this lead and went downstairs, into the garage, removed the under tray that has the keyless brain on it, followed the wire to the fuse, changed it, and....VOILA!! Keyless entry works like new again!! :biggrin: :smile:

The kicker is that when this happened I asked them if it could just be a fuse, and they said they checked and it was not. Not only that, but the dealership has (2) NSX Master Techs, and neither one even thought about the fuse in the keyless entry system itself after an hour of toying with the car to try and make it work. These are the stories that make me nervous for NSXs that go in their needing more serious and complex work diagnosed and performed. Especially since they were having me come back Thursday for an entire days worth of diagnostic testing to figure this out! :eek:

sptrader...it must be a Grand Prix White thing that helped out. LOL!! Thank you for the help. I owe you.

Congrats Mitch ! The reason that I said to check the fuse , is that when I bought my car last Oct, my fuse was bad too. I love the keyless entry !

My Keyless entry's range steadily decreased until it totally stopped working, since 2004. I thought it was the battery in the key fob, but changing it out with a fresh one made no difference. I also checked the fuse under the dash and rechecked it when this thread came up, but is doesn't work.:confused: I suspect faulty capacitors in the receiver unit, actually took out the controller with the intent to open, inspect and repair the unit. But alas, I just use the key.:frown:

Miner

It was the Fuse! Thanks for this thread. I've been trying to
get the keyless entry to work for a while.

Here is the "How-to":
Under glove box, remove two smaller phillips head screws.
Not the big ones that actually hold the receiver.
The "under panel" pops out down {and a little towards you} and is held in place by
three body clips. The fuse is a ways up the wire and has a clip
to hold it in. It is a 3 amp standard blade auto fuse.
See pics. At the top of the pencil is the fuse holder, at the bottom
is the little cap that holds it in place.

Attachments

• _DSC0004.jpg
    _DSC0004.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 266
  • _DSC0005.jpg
    _DSC0005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
You have to love NSXPrime. People on this site know more about our cars than the dealers that are authorized by Honda to work on them. (and the dealers charge you for their limited knowledge)
Be sure to thank Prime for its wisdom, community, and for the people that just want to help, with nothing in return.
You can thank prime here: http://www.nsxprime.com/members/member_central.htm

I have an issue where I can open the doors remotely, BUT I can not lock them and arm the security system. So I must use the key to lock the door, but I can use the remote to open it. Any ideas ? None of the doors or trunk lids appear to be open.

It was the Fuse! Thanks for this thread. I've been trying to
get the keyless entry to work for a while.

Here is the "How-to":
Under glove box, remove two smaller phillips head screws.
Not the big ones that actually hold the receiver.
The "under panel" pops out down {and a little towards you} and is held in place by
three body clips. The fuse is a ways up the wire and has a clip
to hold it in. It is a 3 amp standard blade auto fuse.
See pics. At the top of the pencil is the fuse holder, at the bottom
is the little cap that holds it in place.

I wish i saw this thread sooner than later, it took me couple frustrating hours to find this 3amp fuse hiding inside that electrical tape (doubt the dealer can find this). Replaced now & works. I just save $$$$ from thinking of maybe getting a new module. BIg thanks to the Prime community for sharing.

Regarding the initial problem that happened way back in '08:

I have corrosion problems on my positive cable, but just plan to replace the connector. I wonder why they didn't do this for Meeyatch, instead of the much more extensive complete cable replacement?

I just bought a 91 Nsx and i only got 1 key with the car and no remote after a few days of locking and unlocking the car with the key only the security light in the door came on when i unlocked the car to drive it and the alarm is going off now with headlights flashing and horn! i can not turn it off now nor can i use my car now, does anyone know how i can fix this issue so i can disable the security system so i can use the car?? Thanx guys.

Did you try locking and then unlocking from the passenger door?
Sounds like you have a bad door key switch.

Mike

I had an embarrassing incident with my aftermarket alarm system last night. The battery in my fancy remote (with LCD display, door and trunk opener buttons) died suddenly, so I tried to disarm the system using the key. However, that did not work from either the driver or passenger door, and the alarm kept going off off. It wasn't until my brother brought me a fresh battery that I was able to finally disarm the system using the remote. The system was installed by Utimate Electronics, which has since gone out of business. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back