• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My "New" Beater Car

Well, after 4 months of enjoying my 1993 NSX, I'm getting ready to put her away for the winter. I have done a tune up, fuel filter and an oil change before the end of the driving season.

I just picked up my winter "beater" and I have a few questions:

I bought a 1999 Acura CL 3.0. It has 220,000 miles. How closely related is this engine to the NSX 3.0? I've lucked out on both my Acuras as the timing belts have both been done within the past 5 years or 90,000 miles. (NSX was done at 23,000 miles and now has 35,500)

Does anyone have a 99 (other than the NSX) with the 3.0L engine? Are they reliable? Anyone have any ideas what I should look for? The dealer says the tranny fuild was done in 08 as well as all oil changes.

She runs perfect but there is a noticable "jerk" when the automatic tranny shifts into second but the rest of the gears are smooth.....thanks for your input. Wow the 3.0 seems to be quite quick and torquey for a Honda engine!

Well, after 4 months of enjoying my 1993 NSX, I'm getting ready to put her away for the winter. I have done a tune up, fuel filter and an oil change before the end of the driving season.

I bought a 1999 Acura CL 3.0. It has 220,000 miles. How closely related is this engine to the NSX 3.0? I've lucked out on both my Acuras as the timing belts have both been done within the past 5 years or 90,000 miles. (NSX was done at 23,000 miles and now has 35,500)

Does anyone have a 99 (other than the NSX) with the 3.0L engine? Are they reliable? Anyone have any ideas what I should look for? The dealer says the tranny fuild was done in 08 as well as all oil changes.

She runs perfect but there is a noticable "jerk" when the automatic tranny shifts into second but the rest of the gears are smooth.....thanks for your input. Wow the 3.0 seems to be quite quick and torquey for a Honda engine!

I don't get your post.It says you already bought a car but then are asking if any 99 model car with a 3.0 engine is reliable.

I did buy the '99 Acura CL. It was so cheap I didn't think twice about the purchase. Now I'm just trying to find out if anyone has a similar car or knows about the 3.0l engine that's in it.

Thanks, light is always good but I have to say I liked the idea of the V6 over the 4 cylinder because I thought the heavier engine would be better in the snow. Now that I know it's so light, I'm not sure!

I have an 02 TL-s, which is the 4 door version of the CL. A good car, although the models with the 5 speed auto have some significant gearbox problems. http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/ is my forum of choice for TL issues.

Miner

and sadly the TL's are ALL 5 speed autos (except the older ones which came in a 4 speed auto too). The 03 CL-S is available in a 6 speed, otherwise they're all auto. My original transmission died at like 49k miles. Every time my car shifts funny I think it is about to go again. It is not cool at all.

I have an 02 TL-s, which is the 4 door version of the CL. A good car, although the models with the 5 speed auto have some significant gearbox problems. http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/ is my forum of choice for TL issues.

Miner

The OP bought the first (previous) gen CL, which is mechanically very similar to the 5th gen (94-97) Accord. The 3.0CL powertrain is the same as that of the 6th gen V6 Accord ('98-02), so if you have questions about it I would start there.

The OP bought the first (previous) gen CL, which is mechanically very similar to the 5th gen (94-97) Accord. The 3.0CL powertrain is the same as that of the 6th gen V6 Accord ('98-02), so if you have questions about it I would start there.

My bad. I remember driving a CL in '99, but it must have been a 2000 model. The 2nd gen TLs first (99) came with the 4 speed auto, and then the 5 speed thereafter. The 4 speed doesn't have anywhere near the problems of the 5 speed. http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/ is still the place to look.

Miner

Last edited:
My bad. I remember driving a CL in '99, but it must have been a 2000 model. The 2nd gen TLs first (99) came with the 4 speed auto, and then the 5 speed thereafter. The 4 speed doesn't have anywhere near the problems of the 5 speed. http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/ is still the place to look.

Miner

You scared me for a sec! The car has over 220,000 miles. The Acura dealer it was serviced at said the timing belt was done at 146,000 in mid 2004. The tranny fluid was done in 08 and the oil changes were kept up with. It really is a nice driving car.

Only thing I noticed is the somewhat "harsh" 1st to second gear shift in the automatic transmission. I'll go easy on it. It doesn't seem to slip or anything like that. Is there a preferred tranny oil for "older cars?"

I was reading the Acura archives, maybe it has something to do with this:

"The system's superior clutch engagement accuracy allows the transmission to use sophisticated logic to smooth operation under all conditions. Working in concert with this system is a canceler mechanism built into the first and second gear clutches that "cancels" out the detrimental effects of rising fluid pressure caused by centrifugal force."

Last edited:

My 99 Accord EX V6 (3.0) had an abrupt 1-2 shift too- but only after cold start. I used to take it easy until the engine temps came up, and then it was fine. Great car, as reliable as any 4 cylinder Honda I have owned.

P

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds like exactly what happens with my car until the engine warms up...this makes me feel much better.

Thanks, light is always good but I have to say I liked the idea of the V6 over the 4 cylinder because I thought the heavier engine would be better in the snow. Now that I know it's so light, I'm not sure!

I'm not sure why you would want a heavier engine for snow.

Lightweight engine/vehicle is better in snow IMO.

Back