• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My take on the BBSC

Ok Ive read a lot of talk about people wanting input on the BBSC.Ive driven mine for a few good days.Some days really hard,some easy.Just so you guys know,my powergrip 2 clutch was starting to slip before the install and this power increase has just about finished it off.I havent had a chance to dyno(due to clutch) but my feeling is that this car is every bit as fast as my Supra was when it was BPU+.The car pulls so hard in first that it lights my brand new yokohamas up at 5500.There is no doubt that if my clutch were good,it would smoke the tires through second gear as well.The power comes on so smoothly that I have to really pay attention to how fast Im going now.Im aware this is a work in progress but if I get anymore power through additional tuning or higher boost,Im gonna have a real monster here.I hope this helps some of you understand just how great this BBSC is.Theres no doubt in my mind that with the new program and aftercooler this car will be a Viper killer if it isnt already.My new clutch will be here in a few days and after break in,Ill dyno and run it at the local drag.I predict high 11's with a 118 trap.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

Joe, Thanks for the review! I am so excited! I will have the aftercooler and most recent software here in 2 weeks so I will have a before and after dyno as well! Looking forward to the track times! Talk to ya soon!

------------------
Jason

Yea Jay,you know the power of the BPU Supra.This is every bit as fast.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

Joe,
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup. Sorry to hear about your clutch but I guess that's the "pay for play" factor of this drug we call speed. Enjoyed meeting you at Fournier's and hope to see you and your yellow beast at another get together soon,
Scott McKay
'94Green/Black/BBSC

nsxbadboy:

I know that the gas mileage on my normally aspirated 95 NSX has decreased significantly after replacing the OEM exhaust (20-24 mpg) with a Tubi (18-20 mpg). It's probably lower because I push the rpms higher now, but I don't know the cause for sure.

A number of months ago, Chris at SOS was running a beta version of the BBSC, and he reported very high mileage numbers (~24-26 mph I think?), but I'm now guessing that his car was running too lean, because he did not have the current larger injectors, fuel management Hondata software, etc. of the more finalized version.

Although I know that some may not care about such practicalities, but I just can't help asking .... What are your gas mileage numbers before and after the BBSC?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

NSXY,
I have a 3.0L with the BBSC bolted on. Like you, I am running headers and exhaust. Before BBSC I would get about 20-21 on the highway and I recenly logged 600 miles and averaged 20 post BBSC. It may improve once I get the newest fuel mapping software upgrade from Mark Basch as the car is currently running rich to the point of stinking.

When Chris told me he got 24-26, he said that was highway, off-boost.

In my car (NA 91 with headers and exhaust), I get 18-20mpg city, from aggressive driving, but get 25+ highway.

-Mike

TJ,

Im getting another powergrip 2.I logged about 16k on the last clutch
frown.gif
but Comptech says they may warranty it out if it wore prematurely.I still had to pay for a new one and I imagine Ill get the shaft.

Ive noticed a slight drop in gas mileage but Im still getting about 20 mpg.This could also be from the fact that Ive been driving the car harder.Right now,Ive got some 100 octane unleaded in there and it feels STRONG.I dont think the mileage on this tank will be any good.
biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

nsxbadboy:

Where do you get such high octane? I've been to Kragen's Auto Parts, where they sell 1 gal. cans of toluene that may be used as an octane booster, but it's about $14/gal. I'd be happy with 92 octane that can't be found anywhere around here; only 91 is available. Product suggestions.......?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
nsxbadboy:

Where do you get such high octane? I've been to Kragen's Auto Parts, where they sell 1 gal. cans of toluene that may be used as an octane booster, but it's about $14/gal. I'd be happy with 92 octane that can't be found anywhere around here; only 91 is available. Product suggestions.......?

I run half and half:93 from shell and the spur station located on hercules blvd in clearwater has a seperate pump away from the others that sells 100 octane its simply labeled race gas on the pump.if you have a spur station in your town check there,also the local race track if you have one will sell it. on thing I pay 4.50 a gal so thats why I half and half it down to to 96.5 octane.its more expensive then running nos.
best regards david.
ps when I finally get around to installing a bbsc I will go to full 100 al the time

Yup,I have 2 Speedway gas stations here selling Cam 2 100 octane unleaded for 3.79/gal.Thats all I run in my Supra.It feels like 40 rwhp and ooohh it smells so good.
biggrin.gif
.Its my understanding that higher octane can be found at Sonoco's on the west coast.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

[This message has been edited by nsxbadboy (edited 03 July 2002).]

Joe, I know what you mean about the race gas, the supras love it. Any adverse effects on the NSX if ya run it consistently? Cats?Obviously stay w/the unleaded. Just curious, I got to find out where to buy it around here these days.

------------------
Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason Weaver (edited 03 July 2002).]

Originally posted by Jason Weaver:
I know what you mean about the race gas, the supras love it. Any adverse effects on the NSX if ya run it consistently?

For a long time I was using race gas (100 to 105 octane unleaded) on my mostly-stock NSX. I didn't notice any adverse effects on anything other than my wallet. I didn't notice any benefits, either.

At the last NSXPO (Road America) I did try race gas in my stock NSX and I did notice a difference in performance.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

......Theres no doubt in my mind that with the new program and aftercooler this car will be a Viper killer if it isnt already.....
Joe

[/B]

NSX IS ALREADY a Viper killer, bone stock, in handling and cornering speed, non?
smile.gif

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
NSX IS ALREADY a Viper killer, bone stock, in handling and cornering speed, non?
smile.gif

Non! I've spent time autoXing a Viper GTS/ACR and it's an extremely competent car and has a much quicker steering ratio than an NSX. Driven well, it's a great track car, both in terms of handling and corner speed. And yes, I've driven a 360 RWHP Zanardi NSX for comparison...

From my experience,as long as you stay with unleaded you dont have to worry about ruining your cats or o2 sensors.In fact,If Im not mistaken,premium unleaded in Japan is 96 or 99 octane.Hence,wouldnt the NSX be designed from the factory to run on this?

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
If Im not mistaken,premium unleaded in Japan is 96 or 99 octane.Hence,wouldnt the NSX be designed from the factory to run on this?

I'm not sure whether Japan uses the same formula of (Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number)/2 to measure octane that we do in the States. You can read more about this formula here.

The North American market NSX is designed from the factory to run on 91 octane fuel.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 July 2002).]

I too have the BBSC just recently installed. Has anybody else noticed a sound out of the exhaust of a possible misfire. My father pointed it out to me the other day and now is has me a little worried. Could just be he hasn't heard the car for a while and now it has been enhanced. The car was at idle so it wasn't on boost or anything.
Just wondering?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by Enzo:
in Switzerland the premium unleaded is 98 octane.

I'm not sure whether Switzerland uses the same formula of (Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number)/2 to measure octane that we do in the States.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 July 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm not sure whether Switzerland uses the same formula of (Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number)/2 to measure octane that we do in the States.

Nsxtasy,

I think you are right, it seems that we don't use the same formula to measure the octane rating here in Europe .

The octane number displayed here should be just RON !
frown.gif

Back