• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 engine swap into a 2003 NSX is this possible?

Hello everyone, i own a 1991 NSX that has seen better days however it is mechanically solid. I've come across a 2003 NSX shell that has had the engine and transmission removed otherwise a complete car. I see this as the perfect oppurtunity to get into a NA2 for relatively low cost. My main concern would be if swapping my engine and tranny into the NA2 would be possible and what concerns/problems could or will arise aswell as anything else i should be aware of. Please let me know if this has been done and if its worth doing or just a nightmare! Thanks!!!

Honestly that's one of the silliest things I've ever read on prime. I've seen na1's with na2 engines rarely. But an na2 with an na1 engine now that's just completely ironic. Its posswise, but not wise.

but your NA2 will not be an NA2 it will be an NA1

as the body style is not refered to by that

NA1 = 3.0L engine, not body style
NA2 = 3.2L engine, not body style

there are NA1 1991-2005 NSX's out there. and they are automatics

so you would have an 02+up body with an NA1 engine. thats funny.

the ammount you spend on this complete shell and the ammount of Retro fitting needed to do this you could have just purchased a real 2002-2005 Body style NSX

post your build if you plan on doing this

Hello everyone, i own a 1991 NSX that has seen better days however it is mechanically solid. I've come across a 2003 NSX shell that has had the engine and transmission removed otherwise a complete car. I see this as the perfect oppurtunity to get into a NA2 for relatively low cost. My main concern would be if swapping my engine and tranny into the NA2 would be possible and what concerns/problems could or will arise aswell as anything else i should be aware of. Please let me know if this has been done and if its worth doing or just a nightmare! Thanks!!!
A few NSX owners have swapped in an NA2-6spd. into their previously NA1-5spd. NSX-coupe/NSX-T (ie. '91-'94/'95-'96). Other than the drive-by-wire throttle, ECU/OBD2, and other minor things, I don't see any issues w/ swapping in an NA1-5spd. into a formerly NA2-6spd. NSX-T (ie. '97-'01/'02-'05).

It's worthwhile to check w/ Science of Speed as they are very well versed w/ the minutiae changes w/ regards to the NSX platform over the years.

FWIW, I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor. Though it depends on how much of the labor you can do yourself (or get hooked-up w/) along w/ how much the '03 NSX-T rolling-chassis costs.

You already have (assumed) a clean title/history NSX that seemingly just needs some TLC & light reconditioning. NA1-5spd. NSX-T's are generally $27.5k - $32.5k (+/- $1.5k depending on mileage), and occasionally ones w/ the '02+ front/rear updates pop-up in the marketplace. Ditto for '97-'01 NA2-6spd. NSX-T's which are generally $36.5k - $41.5k (+/- $1.5k depending on mileage).

I don't believe you'd be able to recoup any appreciable amount of investment w/ this project, other than to perhaps have a more attractive offering than others in the $20k - $25k price strata if/when you ever are compelled to sell it. Namely, a prospective buyer may likely choose your NA1-5spd. powered '03 NSX-T over another NA1-5spd. equipped '91-'94 NSX-coupe / '95-'96 NSX-T for more-or-less the same asking-price. But not for a notable premium. Again, this is just my insight!

Last edited:
thank you for the feeback!! i will definetly take it into consideration.

PAYAM- yes, thats the NSX im talking about, do you know anything about it or have you seen it? Im in Canada so all i have are pictures to go by and to expect the worst.

Last edited:
Possible yes, not even that hard since you have a complete NA1,

Although still a wired combo but... if you where to modify the C30A (stroke it?) and add a 6 speed you might be able to partially silence the sceptics.

Still a perfectly do able swap just a bit unconventional.
Please do keep in mind your not just swapping in a engine tranny combo,

Your also going to need to ether install drive by wire or convert the NA2 back to cable operation.
Likely you will also swap over the exhaust system since there slightly different on the NA2.

Lastly you might run into emissions trouble installing a OBD1 engine in to a OBD2 car.

Last edited:
If you get the 02 shell cheep enough, you could take what you need and part the rest. If I came across a situation like this thats what I would do. Might be a cheep way to upgrade the body to newer style.

What condition is your car in now? Mechanically you have issues or cosmetically?

Most all of the parts are interchangeable like the ABS, Larger brakes, electronic power steering, newer style interior, taillights, + the 02 headlights, side skirts, rear valance. If you were to upgrade all that stuff on an older car it could get pricey. But if you could get the shell cheep enough you could get all that stuff part the rest maybe make a lil, or at lest brake even.

You have to look at it this way. Down the road people are not going to want an +02 car with a 3.0. It will be more difficult to sell then an older facelifted NSX.

Lastly you might run into emissions trouble installing a OBD1 engine in to a OBD2 car.
QFT. you could put a +02 exhaust on the 3.0 you would need the ECU and the drive by wire as well. Will the 3.2 software work for the 3.0? I don't think it will. Then you're going to need to address that as well (AEM)? (custom tuning)?

Last edited:
Three things jump out at the moment:

1. You will need to swap all the electronics, ecu, harness, etc.

2. You will need to use the throttle cable from the earlier car:).

3. You may have an issue with inspection, since the newer car is an ULEV, and the earlier drivetrain is not. Particularly, Cali will be tough;). Adding the air pump is not going to happen for an early NA1 engine that does not have the ports in the cylinder heads, so figure that out first, could make this all moot.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Financially :
it doesn't make much sense to do it from a market value perspective.
Osiris_x11 makes some valid points on that.

I'd sell the earlier car
buy the 03 shell if its good shape and priced right
then find yourself a good NA2 engine/trans
perhaps kick that motor up a notch with some mods while its on the bench
enjoy

Suppose it depends, what is your end goal?

thank you for the feeback!! i will definetly take it into consideration.

PAYAM- yes, thats the NSX im talking about, do you know anything about it or have you seen it? Im in Canada so all i have are pictures to go by and to expect the worst.

ive only seen it online like you, but cars like nsx's dont usually go cheap in auction no matter what

HeySkippy, I know like my post stated

" there are NA1 1991-2005 NSX's out there. and they are automatics "

But if you have the shell sitting there, and the other NSX sitting there swapping wouldnt be hard.

but why not just swap the 02 parts onto the pop-up light NSX.
wouldnt even need to paint it then instead of a 02+ up NSX with an NA1 engine, you would have a pop-up light NSX with the FULL 02+up convertion. seems dumb to go the other way. if you already have the shell in front of you. inless the Shell is missing lots of parts. is there any pics of this shell available?

thats true even wrecked fliped crushed NSX's sell for top dollar I have seen destroyed one go for 19K
and even newer NSX's sell for over 25K LOL trust me I know..
so these guys thinking they can get a wrecked one for 3-5K they are mistaken,

Last edited:
Heyskippy, no prob I do the same thing 99% of the time LOL
but mine in the morning is Cherry coke and MM peanuts

If you can get a good rolling chasis - is the wiring harness still in place?

What I would suggest looking into is this. Buy the chasis. Sell your car for whatever it's worth. Take the money and buy an NA2 engine and tranny. You can find them. Put the NA2 engine and tranny in the 03 - keep it and drive it - man - get a new car with the engine and tranny that is at least supposed to be in the car!

The other way you are going to have a total bastard that no one would buy! Nobody would want an 03 chassis with an NA1 engine and tranny. Not only that - who the heck is going to want an NA1 rolling chasis with a ton of miles on it. You could part it out and wait FOREVER to sell the parts - not smart. Sell the car you have - get whatever you can get - buy the new chasis and find a late model engine and tranny as they come up from a dismantler. That's the only thing that makes sense!

You will be much happier working that out. It's still going to be a bastard but it will be a correct bastard. If you intend to drive it and own it - there is no way I'd end up with two total turkeys out of the deal.

If you haven't got the bucks to do it right - DON"T DO IT. Save your bucks for the RIGHT engine and tranny. Whatever it takes but don't compound your errors by creating a total Frankestien.

My 2 cents

Back