• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NC1 battery cooling?

It's been awfully hot recently, with temps in the 110F +. I am wondering what type of battery cooling technology there is for the NC1, when it is parked, and when driving.

Fully electric vehicles like Tesla, Bolt, have liquid cooled systems for the batteries. The Nissan Leaf has air cooled tech which is not as good.

I'm curious how the NC1 lithium battery stays cooled during hot driving conditions, especially on the track where cooling is key.

It is not the same as you might expect for an all electric vehicle that has say a 60 kwh battery. They provide all the energy for driving and do in fact get hot. Some of the early BEV cars used air but now most all have some kind of coolant exchange. As for hybrids like ours the battery itself is pretty small under 1 1/2 kwh. I would imagine there is enough surface area to allow for cooling to occur with just a fan. In addition to the fan, cool air from the air conditioner is used to keep the traction battery at the correct temperature. And remember the air conditioner is an electric unit. The electric motors in front have a coolant pump associated with them. They also have a electric oil pump associated with them. They can run pretty hot at times. The electric motor attached to the crankshaft of the engine is cooled by coolant.

Last edited:
Back