• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Need help with a rattle

I have a metal to metal rattle in the back of my NSX somewhere. It is noticeable when I hit a bump in the road. Took out my engine cover and it is still there. I have Tein Adjustable Flex suspension. The noise is not a "thud" like Tein normally sound like. It is not an engine noise either.

Anyone out there ever have a similar rattle? It sounds like metal to metal...no clunking, no rubbing.

Rob,

Can you tell if it is coming from the interior or outside the cabin? Is the sound coming from the firefall behind the passenger seat?

It is definaately coming from somewhere in the back end of the car. I took the engine cover off and it is still there. The rattle isn't anything affecting the car...it is just effecting my mind in a bad way (LOL).

The brakes are a good thought but it sounds closer that that.

Hrmmm, this is just an idea but...

Check the panels behind the seat. Their is a wide one just below the firewall glass, and a square one behind each seat. They are held in with plastic clips that can get fragile after so many years.

How do I get the panels out?

Rob,

I can completely commisurate with you on this matter. I recently spent an entire weekend hunting down an annoying rattle.
One thing to check would be the components mounted on the rear firewall. If you remove the upper trim piece, it will expose a number of parts. The noise may ultimately get louder with the upper trim removed. If you refer to 20-37 (pg 863) of the service manual it shows the three clips that secure the upper part of the trim. By using a broad based, non-marring, pry, you can pop those three clips off.

I have found two sources of noise on the firewall. One is the ECU computer. Somehow the metal that covers the electronics alters in someway over time and begins to rattle on the ECU's primary frame. The other was the headlight motor controller. Though on this, the plastic rubbed on another piece of plastic creaking a nerve wracking noise.

What I found during my expedition hunting down the noise was that it seems some of the components start making odd noises as the plastic & metals age. Fortunately, none of it affects the performance of our cars, just our minds.

Thanks a million NSX-2k. I am going to take those panels off tomorrow and take a look. I know there is a panel that goes accross just under the glass. How do I get the larger panel off that is below?

Rob,

You have to take the upper horizontal panel off first, then the two vertically oriented panels that are immediately behind the seats simply pop up with a gentle tug. I don't believe you will need to remove those lower panels because there isn't really anything that could make much noise unless some dropped something back there. In case you are wondering, behind the lower panel on the passenger is simply sound deadening material. On the driver side is a connector to the fuel tank and sound deadening.
The part you want to focus on is the upper horizontal trim piece. Remember to address the THREE fastener at the top of the trip piece and then LIFT the horizonatal piece up to free it from the lower panels. Good luck!

Will do! Thanks a million. My e-mail is: [email protected]

You can e-mail me with any other suggestions you may think of.

Again, I really appreciate your help!

my horizontal panel itselt was rattling bc the clips turned out to be broken, so it was loose.a mechanic told me it's hard to take the panel off without breaking the clips,so you might want to have some extra clips around.there are three of them,and i got them at the dealer for a couple bucks each iirc.

Thanks a million NSX-2k. I am going to take those panels off tomorrow and take a look. I know there is a panel that goes accross just under the glass. How do I get the larger panel off that is below?

nsxter helped me take my cabin apart to have my trim refinished, and to install an iPod adapter. He really knows his stuff. I would recommend that you try to get together with us for help on some of your projects. I probably would have damaged some of the more hard-to-get parts on my car if I tried to do it alone, and I'm as OCD as you are about my cars.

Plus, I really want to see your car and the XPEL film & wheels! ;)

Well, I disassembled the entire back panel and everything is tight! No rattles coming from there!

I wonder if it is my Teins??? It rattles when I hit a bump in the road or an uneven surface.

I also had rattle noise coming from passenger side. I have Tein RA. Found out rattle was coming from rear brake caliper. Lower caliper bolt has backed out and fallen off.

Last edited:
Ka-Pow!

Took my 05 NSX to SOS after one year of putting up with the noise coming from the rear of my car. I had tried everything to locate the rattle and had no luck!

Took it to SOS this morning to find the rattle. I was fearing the worse!

Less than 15 minutes after putting the car up on a hoist, Ffej found the source....a boot on the right rear Tein shock had come loose. It was rattling up against the metal spring everytime I hit a bump. That was it...nothing else.

Ffej tightened the boot and I drove away with a huge smile on my face!

YAHOOOOOO!

Awesome, so Jeff spells his name backwards now? :eek:

Are you coming to Poker night or Cars & Coffee this weekend?

Glad to hear that you got that rattle resolved. There is nothing more irritating than an annoying rattle from such a nice car.

Yes...there are two Jeffs in the shop so mechanic Jeff pronounces his name "Fejj." Funny!

Awesome, so Jeff spells his name backwards now? :eek:

Are you coming to Poker night or Cars & Coffee this weekend?

Back