• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need LOUDER Horns.

I've been looking for louder horns for my NSX since I got it, and came across the Hella Twin Supertone horns.
62089.jpg

Looks good, but I wanted to hear them in person. My wish was granted at a local autoX today, wher I found a driver of a WRX with a set of these. I asked him if he would please honk the horn so I could get a feel for it. He said, "Sure, but you may not wanna be standing right in front of the car for it."

"Whatever, let me have it"

Well, they damn near ruptured my eardrums. Claimed 118 decibels, and I firmly believe it now. I'm ordering a set next week :biggrin:

I replaced the two stock horns behind the bumper with a set of PIAA electric horns. They out 115db and are available in either a 400HZ/500HZ or a 500HZ/600HZ combo. I have the former. They are nice and loud and produce a great tone. http://www.autobarn.net/piaasportshorn.html

With the car on jackstands or a lift it was a pretty easy swap. They bolt on where the OEM horns were and the spade lugs from the factory harness fit.

Those 2 rectangular things just inside the horns are the front tranceivers for the Passport ZR3 Laser Shifter. And yes, I've had my nose repainted since this pic was taken. :smile:

bumper1.jpg

Hugh, Looks simple based on your desription. Was the wiring/connectors easy to deal with? Did you have to do any modifications to the wiring?

Simons2k said:
Hugh, Looks simple based on your desription. Was the wiring/connectors easy to deal with? Did you have to do any modifications to the wiring?

I installed them just over 2 years ago when I first got the car. The same 2 wires that attach to the OEM horns are used for the PIAAs. I just can't remember if the factory connectors were the right size for the new horns' spade lugs. If that is the case it's very simple to cut them off and crimp on the right size. No other modifications are necessary. As these are electric horns the current draw is probably close to the factory ones. I've never blown a fuse.

They're considerably louder than stock and a hell of a lot easier to install than air horns which need a relay wired circuit due to the current draw of the compressor.

I'm looking for whatever fog horns they used in the space ships in War of the Worlds. They sounded pretty menacing. If Harbor Freight gets them in, let me know :biggrin:

Seriously, I think this guy on nsxfreak has this problem covered..

23.jpg

I replaced the two stock horns behind the bumper with a set of PIAA electric horns. They out 115db and are available in either a 400HZ/500HZ or a 500HZ/600HZ combo. I have the former. They are nice and loud and produce a great tone. http://www.autobarn.net/piaasportshorn.html

With the car on jackstands or a lift it was a pretty easy swap. They bolt on where the OEM horns were and the spade lugs from the factory harness fit.

Those 2 rectangular things just inside the horns are the front tranceivers for the Passport ZR3 Laser Shifter. And yes, I've had my nose repainted since this pic was taken. :smile:

bumper1.jpg

I'm going to revive this thread because I think I'm going to get those 400/500hz ones. The 500/600 sounds too wimpy IMO, even if they use them on "expensive european cars". Thanks Hugh.

Anyone else replace their wimpy NSX horns recently? Someone cut right in front of me this morning on my way to work so I let rip with the horn but the results weren't all that impressive. If you've found a brand that installs easily and produces a good sound then I'd be interested in getting more details....

Back