• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need plates for US crossing??

hello, I have been surfing the prime site as most guys have for a while and have finally decided on one to purchase. Its a 1991 and in beautiful shape. the former Prime owner did a geat job looking after it and made my desicion to purchase easier.
I am in london, Ontario and the car is currently in Cincinatti, Ohio. We met halfway in Toledo, Ohio and checked out the car and finalized a deal.
I think i have a handle on bringing it back to Canada in regards to customs and duties required.
I would really like to drive the car back as the previous owner was willing to meet me halfway again.

So heres my question : Can i use his existing plates and drive to the border as long as I have the proper bill of sale, ownership, insurance documents.......
or do I have to get a temp permit form Ohio and then drive back.
i dont really want to get a car carrier or trailer or use a broker.

have any of use canadian guys done something like this....

(sorry my question mark does not work)

im looking at picking up the car in about 10 days

many thanks to all the prime members for all the posts i have been reading as everyone has been very informative!!!

looking forward to being part of the nsx community:wink:

eddy

This is what i had to do when I drove my car from Washington to BC.

I had to buy temporary insurance from our insurance company in BC. It's called a binder of insurance here. Not sure about Ontario as I believe you guys have a lot of private insurance companies? I had to carry that with me when I was driving the car in Washington. It covers me if anything happened while I was driving in Washington. Although, the insurance was bought in BC, it's not valid in BC.

Are you only driving in one state? If your car is not fully registered, some states require you to buy a trip permit. Washington is one of these states. I had to bring the title and receipt of sale to their DMV and purchase a trip permit. $25 for three days. That's their minimum. If the police pulled me over and didn't have the permit, they could have impounded the car. Even if I had insurance. Quite a few people aren't aware of this step or some choose to ignore it. I didn't want to take a chance as the Washington State Patrol are quite friendly. If you are driving through more than one state, you may need a trip permit for each one.

Next, cross the border and pay taxes and duties. So, once that was done and i was back in BC, the binder of insurance was no longer valid, so I had no insurance at that point. Three options:
1. Leave car at the border lot and bring all my paperwork to the insurance company so they can register my car and l can buy temp insurance for the day. Then back to the border and get the car.
2. Take a chance and drive the car to the nearest insurance place and buy temp insurance then drive it home.
3. Take a really big chance and just drive home with no insurance. You know what consequences are if you drive with no insurance.
4. Get it towed from the border. (usually for non-driveable cars)

I took option 2. I think most people do that. Some take option 3. All in all, I had to pay three fees, binder insurance, trip permit, and insurance again when I was back in BC. Keep in mind that these things take time. Be sure to do this early. Maybe buy the binder of insurance a day or two before.
The line up at the DMV was long for the trip permit. I nearly didn't make it back in time across border to process the import paperwork. Cut off time at the BC crossing to import cars is 330pm.
Not sure if Ontario is the same. I made it with 3 minutes to spare. Here is my experience for that day if you have time to read: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134758

So check with your insurance company with what the process is. And check the state if you need a trip permit.

Hope this helps. Congrats on the car! Pictures please!

Last edited:
contact your agent they will know. In manitoba we can insure and register the car for the trip home and it is insured and legal in all states. We have public insurance,or governmet, whatever you want to call it. You can go to riv.ca and it will give the info you need to import and export the car . You must export the car from the US before you can import it into Canada.I have imported many cars into Mb. If you need more info you can pm me and I will give you my phone number and any info that you need.

Spilled the beans, huh? All I can say is IF you are purchasing Blaine's red NSX (cybernsx on Prime) congrats, you are acquiring a beauty! :wink:

If it was me, I'd try to drive it home on his OH plate (if he'll let you...) with some sort of ins binder by your ONT insurance company. But I realize you have to go through the USA export/CA riv import process.

I am less than one hour N of Toledo, and 35 minutes west of the Ambassador Bridge/Tunnel crossings, so if you need anything (like somewhere secure to park it for a day or two) just PM me.

Hope everything works out!

thanks for the advice guys, still sorting out my best plan of attack but I can't wait to get her!!
will keep you posted on my progress.

eddy

Eddy,

First, lots of Prime members here in greater Detroit area that will help you out if you need us (that obviously includes Neal (alum04) and yours truly).

Second, I have exported a number of Acura TLs and a Nissan Maxima to my Dad in Toronto and for sure my Dad had insurance coverage placed on the cars before he came over here to pick up the cars I sent over to him. This IMHO is a no-brainer.

In addition, I obtained a temporary tag (in both OH and MI it takes the form of a piece of paper/cardboard that in MI is taped to the inside of the rear window and for temp tags issued in OH I believe they are displayed where the rear license plate would otherwise reside) for my Dad. There was no issue clearing through Canada Customs with the temp tag or driving in Ontario with the temp tag and the paperwork from Customs pending his RIV inspection and acquisition of Ontario license plates. I'm not sure I would want to explain to the OPP why I was driving a car with an Ohio license plate that I just bought and brough over the border -- don't think its customary in Ont for the plates to go with the car when sold and not sure the officer wouln't give you a hard time about this.

I think you are exempt from the RIV Inspection due to age of the NSX you are buying but I suspect Ontario motor vehicle safety certificate/inspection will be required.

I hope the above helps. If you encounter any issues/need any help when you are headed back to Ontario feel free to contact me. If you want my contact info such as cell #, etc. send me a PM. Hopefully Neal and I won't have to rescue you at the border (LOL)! It has been my experience that if you are well prepared at the border and cordial/friendly/cooperative with the Canada Customs folks things go pretty smoothly (I did attend at the border with my Dad all 3 times we did the export gig and upon presenting Canada Customs with a complete package of what they needed things went very smoothly and the experience was actually pleasant).

Best of luck.

Jeff

Hi,
I just bought a pristine NSX 4 weeks ago in Illinois.

-You need tempory plate of the state where you buy it. Good for 30 days.
-Call you insurance cie to tell her you go buy a NSX in US. They will cover you during you bring back the car.
-Send all paper 72 hrs to the border before crossing the car (original title, copy of title, back and front and original sale contract)
-No RIV for you

With that, you are all set to run the car in US and in Canada.

After your arrival in Canada, you dont need tempory plate of your province. You have the one of the state and keep the form 1 in your vehicle.

After that, inspections and your province plate to get.

Last edited:
hey guys, do i have to be present to get a temp tag? or can the current owner get one for me?
i plan on going down Sunday night and then driving back monday morning and wanted to get an early start that morning and didnt want to wait for the office to open if i didnt have to.

much appreciated advice guys!
thanks
eddy

Eddy, note what jeff_s2k said about depositing certain paperwork at the border 72 hours before you intend to drive the car from the US over bridge or through tunnel to Canada. This is a US Customs requirement -- if I recall correctly has something to do with US Customs running some checks to ensure that the car is not stolen and being exported to Canada. If you are not totally familiar with the requirement jeff_s2k mentioned below is a helpful link to riv -- once in, click on #2 for further info. Kind of sounds to me like you are going to need to spend a few days over here or head home and come back once US Customs clears the vehicle.

<CITE>www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx</CITE>

Yes, you will need to stay in US couples days before crossing the border.

-You can arrive sunday night at your hôtel.

-Monday morning, look and test drive the car, make a mecanical inspection (optional), go to the DMV to get your tempory plate and finaly send all paper by Fedex to the Customs (around 30$ for overnight shipping). Paper will arrive tuesday, so you will be able to cross borders friday.

- Now you can leave for Canada with your NSX. Take you time, you have 3 days...

Otherwise, if you do not want wait 3 days in US, you can ask the seller if he are interested to send is title before you arrive in US. But I dont think so it will be interesting, sending signed title mean car is sold.

Good luck !

Eddy, feel free to PM me as I have done this with US Customs 3 times in last 8 years and happy to help you navigate this. I seriously doubt that seller is going to let go of his original title before you go to OH and pay him/pick up the car. There is no need to FedEx title, etc. to US Customs -- best to hand deliver at Ambassador Bridge.

Best,
Jeff

Hi Eddy,
If you are in a hurry,you can ask the owner to drive across border(bridge) and you take over and drive home and send him a licence plate back to him in the mail.That is how I got my NSX.

ok guys, so I have faxed over the ownership, bill of sale and us customs export sheet. I spoke to a customs officer who indicated a fax copy was fine for the check and to make sure that i bring the original when I actually cross. I plan on crossing next week Monday the 9th. I have a buddie driving me to ohio and then I will get an ohio temp tag for 30 days that Monday morning and drive to the us border sometime in the afternoon. The export office closes at 8 pm in Port Huron so i should be good for time.

i think thats it, is there anything im missing???
eddy

Eddy, when you say "Ownership" do you mean the title? Here in the US that document is typically called "Certificate of Title". I know that in Ontario the ownership looks different (small piece of paper) but over here its typically 8.5 X 11" and something that we keep at home or better yet in a safety deposit box. This document is distinct from what we call the "registration" which is what our secretary of state (like the Ontario Ministry of Transport) issues to us when we get our license plate tabs (and this is a smallish piece of paper about the size of the Ontario ownership you carry in your car.

Clear as mud? Anyway, my recollection is that US Customs needs the "title" deposited with them so just want to make sure that when you say "Ownership" that's what you really mean.

Good luck!

Back