• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some input on this 1992 Black NSX jh4na1156nt001063

Hello fellow prime members! I have been in the NSX market for a little more than a year now still trying to find that right one. About a month ago I came across one that I was just about to pull the trigger on but someone else had gotten to it before I was able to.

However, I have come across an NSX that I have been looking at and wanted to know if anyone has seen this car or has any input on it:

1992 Black NSX
VIN: jh4na1156nt001063
Details: Car has 112k miles on it
Upgrades that the owner told me:
KW v3 Coil Overs
Replaced all rubber bushings with Urethane.
SoS Headers (installed in FEB 12)
SoS Sport Clutch (installed in FEB 11)
NSX-R Chassis Supports
NSX-R Short Gears
Asking price is $20,000
Car is located in Arizona

Now according to the owner, the Arizona title shows it as clear without accidents. But he says it was in an accident back in 1996 and the CarFax shows it as totaled. Engine and chassis were fine and what he said was called up the insurance company and they said their policy at the time was to consider the car totaled because aluminum body panels couldn't be repaired (only replaced). However, the car has done 80k miles since the accident without incident.

Owner seems upfront about things but I personally have never dealt with a salvage title car before and this would be my first NSX. I have looked through the wiki very thoroughly and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with Salvage Title NSX's, both good and bad and things I should pay attention to. Also is there anyway to know just how bad the accident damage was? Here is a picture of the car:

DSC03839.jpg

Re: Need some input on this 1992 Black NSX

There is a note in the Registry Wiki page for this VIN which confirms it was totalled but no other info.

I expect Shawn to chip in here too...

The bad is that it is a salvage title and all things being the same will be tougher to sell and bring a lower price.

The good is as a purchaser it appears you have a shot at getting what could be a very nice car with some very nice upgrades for $20k (asking price) or less.

As always do a PPI and I would recommend a knowledgeable NSX body shop take a good look at it.

If the car is near the Phoenix area I would see if SOS could look over the car.

Last edited:

Not aware of your financial situation, but most banks aren't going to loan you as much money on a salvage title (if you are going that route). Someone else on Prime just reported that PenFed will only do 50% of the average NADA cost.

Just a heads up.

I saw the ad on Craigslist too, thanks for sharing the details here. Does the seller have any photos documenting the accident and subsequent repair work? That would help greatly. Barring that, you can have SOS do a PPI but I don't know if it's possible to fully evaluate the scope of the repairs especially if some of the damage is hidden under new body panels. I would tread very carefully.

Thanks for all of the input guys! So I asked the owner and the accident occurred before he took ownership. He called up Allstate and they told him that it was their policy at the time to consider any aluminum panel cars totaled when in an accident since body panels could only be replaced not repaired, and that it was not easily done back when the accident occurred in 1996. However, he has owned the car for the past 12 years and clocked 80k miles without problems. He says that Science of Speed inspected it a few times without issue.

If I were to get a PPI though SOS, what kind of things would it reveal as far as chassis straightness/condition after the accident? The owner is currently getting the koni's installed right now at SOS so it may be convenient for me to get the PPI done while it is still at the shop.

Thanks for all of the input guys! So I asked the owner and the accident occurred before he took ownership. He called up Allstate and they told him that it was their policy at the time to consider any aluminum panel cars totaled when in an accident since body panels could only be replaced not repaired, and that it was not easily done back when the accident occurred in 1996. However, he has owned the car for the past 12 years and clocked 80k miles without problems. He says that Science of Speed inspected it a few times without issue.

If I were to get a PPI though SOS, what kind of things would it reveal as far as chassis straightness/condition after the accident? The owner is currently getting the koni's installed right now at SOS so it may be convenient for me to get the PPI done while it is still at the shop.
I would ask to see the insurance or repair shop paperwork then, if there is any, to corroborate the story. I've been on Prime for almost 10 years, and I do not recall reading talk of many instances of insurance companies totaling NSXs simply due to body panel (and no structural) damage. Maybe nsxtasy or some of the older members/owners can chime in as well. Personally I feel that if it is the truth, someone would have bothered to get documentation (photos, repair shop estimates, or whatever) for such a rare and collectible car to show future prospective buyers.

I'm not sure what SOS will be able to ascertain from a visual inspection (and with any degree of confidence), but you can ask them. As far as the owner clocking 80k miles without problems, it could simply be that he/she didn't have any accidents that would have exposed compromised areas, if any.

I know the price seems enticing, and the photo looks good, but you do not want to get stuck with a problematic car that may sour your ownership experience. Good luck!

Here is another pic of the car, to me the lower mesh grille looks weird but was probably replaced or something. Sorry I can't help you any more I know as much about it as you do. Good luck!

Attachments

• ArizonaNSX.jpg
    ArizonaNSX.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 50
Back