• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some LAST Minute HELP with my 02 Conversion

GPW_NSX

Well, I stopped by the bodyshop today and WHOA :eek:
'
I saw all the 02 parts I had ordered last week and it was like Christmas all over again.

Anyhow, I had a question or at least the bodyshop did.

Do you need the 02+ Bumper Reinforcement beam?

I got the 02 Bumper Mounting bracket piece..however it doesnt bolt on to my 92 5 mph beam.

Thanks for any help

GPW_NSX said:
Do you need the 02+ Bumper Reinforcement beam?

That depends.

The real reason it exists is that in the event of a minor collision, the front bumper beam serves to reduce repair-shop time and cost.

Extruded aluminum front and rear bumper beams were actually at the fore-front of crash technology at the time- allowing for a rigid, light-weight design.. and the energy-absorbing characteristics of the system were foremost designed to prevent expensive damage to structural components in a low speed collision.

Depending on the application, driver, and usage you may or may not justify either retaining or removing it. There is always the risk of an SUV in the parking lot backing into your car and taking the whole thing out, although the NSX sits so low the I've noted the damage is typically higher up the hood line in these types of 5mph incidents.

From a performance perspective, even on the later models, it is likely the heaviest component front of the wheels towards the extreme end, which is not ideal.

If you are planning on track/race prepping the vehicle I would suggest removing it. If it is otherwise a daily driver it may be a better idea to retain it for some users- just use discretion knowing your own application and circumstances.

MiamieNeSeX said:
The beam is the same. But there are aluminum support brackets that are different with the newer style bumpers.

Armando

Armando

I bought the new 02+ upper bumper support alluminum piece..but I cant figure out how it bolts to my 92 Bumper support beam :frown:

Am I missing something?

The aluminum peices do not bolt to the beam, the beam attaches to the car at the frame rails(2) the aluminum pieces frame the new bumper and act as connection points to the fenders.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
The aluminum peices do not bolt to the beam, the beam attaches to the car at the frame rails(2) the aluminum pieces frame the new bumper and act as connection points to the fenders.

Armando

yah, but what does the alluminum bumper bracket bolt to then? the bumper beam?

as seen in these pics

DSCF0223sm.jpg

DSCF0224sm.jpg

Im confused :frown:

Did you ever finish your conversion? I would love to see some pics and if you think it was worth it....

what DF and another nsx member told me is that conversion only needs 02 bumper, headlights, 3 sets of brackets, wiring. for front bumper, it may need to do some work, i dont know exactly. but they told me that conversion doesn't require new front bumper support.

Back