• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some software help

A business friend of mine uses a proprietary program running on Unix for his distribution business. I currently use Peachtree for Windows and I'd like to change but don't have a clue what I have to do. I've tried searching online but all I come up with is businesses offering consulting services.

Is a proprietary program something like a custom designed software program to fit an individual's business? How do I go about changing systems? Do I have to purchase a new computer?

Proprietary programs, generally speaking are software programs developed by the business using it. If you are a business operating without a large IT shop, I would highly recommend using a packaged application. Support and versioning are taken care of for you. ONe could argue that support is not the greatest from outside vendors though. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, the right solution for you changes with every variable. If you want to be more descript, I would be happy to give my two cents.

skim83, not sure what you are trying to do - do you mean you would like to use another accounting program besides Peachtree? If so, no other computer system is needed. If you are looking for accounting software - your accountant would be a good source of recommendations followed by contacts within your industry, friendly competitors, trade associations, trade magazines, etc. Peachtree's support sucks, IMO. Post again if you need more.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Back