• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 2001 NSX-T silverstone with 8400 miles :)

So I think the clutch is worn out.

A week ago I did my first hard launch from a stop light and the clutch slipped horribly. For a split second at first I thought it was wheel spin but it was obviously not.

I did a normal drag race launch, not a hard abrupt clutch drop, but a very fast slip of the clutch that minimizes draivetrain shock. I revved it up to about 5-6k RPM and let it slip ever so slightly, then dropped it while going full throttle. When I did that the the clutch the slipped like crazy. I let off the gas and shifted to 2nd and the obviously overheated clutch started slipping again.

I babied it back to my friend's house and the car smelled like clutch for a day.

It's never slipped under power once it's engaged or anything, only if i launch it really hard.

I was really hoping it was just my unfamiliarity with the car and maybe a weak stock clutch combined with the stock clutch damper that may have caused the problem.

So on the weekend I installed a clutch damper delete line from Dali (great product, well made and a good price) and bled the clutch which needed to be done anyway.

I went out and tried a careful hard launch and yeah the clutch still slips if I launch too aggressively.

I'm thinking this _can't_ be how weak the stock clutch is so I think this one needs replacing. My question is: is this unheard of? A stock clutch dying at 8500 miles? I don't know how the previous owner drove but he must've been a horrible driver to do this. He was not a racer so I know he didn't abuse it on purpose.

Then I'm thinking of the oil film all around the oil pan and the transaxle bellhousing. Could a leaky rear main get on the clutch disc itself? I've had cars with seeping rear mains and they never actually oiled down the clutch itself.

Whats a good upgraded clutch/flywheel from stock? I don't plan on going FI or anything, just something that will be a bit lighter and more durable than stock?

Since its only slipping if I drag launch it, I can just not do that I'm sure and have it last for multiple years, but I do plan on tracking it, so it's something I'll need to repair at some point anyway.

thanks

Last edited:
Congrats. I made a cash offer for 52k on that car the weekend before you bought it, and the seller said he'd get back to me, but never did. Now I know what happened. My search continues. Enjoy your new ride.

I was really hoping it was just my unfamiliarity with the car and maybe a weak stock clutch combined with the stock clutch damper that may have caused the problem.

I'm thinking this _can't_ be how weak the stock clutch is so I think this one needs replacing. My question is: is this unheard of? A stock clutch dying at 8500 miles? I don't know how the previous owner drove but he must've been a horrible driver to do this. He was not a racer so I know he didn't abuse it on purpose.
Whats a good upgraded clutch/flywheel from stock? I don't plan on going FI or anything, just something that will be a bit lighter and more durable than stock?
thanks

Been there -
Your clutch is fine; I have experienced exactly what you described a few times, (once thought I set the clutch on Fire), and simply stopped doing the "launch" thing. Yes - I would say the stock clutch is "that weak" when it comes to launching at 6k rpm; but that is because the NSX wasn't meant to be a 1/4 drag racer.

If you want to upgrade to a clutch that will grab much better at a 6k rpm launch, the CT Power-grip 1 and 2 are awesome, just very heavy.

Save the $2,500 and enjoy your car; IMO - your stock clutch is just fine.

My .02

A week ago I did my first hard launch from a stop light and the clutch slipped horribly. For a split second at first I thought it was wheel spin but it was obviously not.

I did a normal drag race launch, not a hard abrupt clutch drop, but a very fast slip of the clutch that minimizes draivetrain shock. I revved it up to about 5-6k RPM and let it slip ever so slightly, then dropped it while going full throttle. When I did that the the clutch the slipped like crazy. I let off the gas and shifted to 2nd and the obviously overheated clutch started slipping again.

I babied it back to my friend's house and the car smelled like clutch for a day.

It's never slipped under power once it's engaged or anything, only if i launch it really hard.

So on the weekend I installed a clutch damper delete line from Dali (great product, well made and a good price) and bled the clutch which needed to be done anyway.

I went out and tried a careful hard launch and yeah the clutch still slips if I launch too aggressively.

Then I'm thinking of the oil film all around the oil pan and the transaxle bellhousing. Could a leaky rear main get on the clutch disc itself? I've had cars with seeping rear mains and they never actually oiled down the clutch itself.

Since its only slipping if I drag launch it, I can just not do that I'm sure and have it last for multiple years, but I do plan on tracking it, so it's something I'll need to repair at some point anyway.

thanks

Wow, Poor car! I wouldn't recommend doing that too many times. I got a chuckle at the "careful hard launch" part. The NSX is much better suited for driving in the twisties than launching it off the line.

A lot of folks have got 100K out of the factory clutch.

I too made 2 offers on that car. One @ 50k even then a week later one @ 52.5K. And you're right the owner never responded:confused:.
He bragged to me about how he and his buddy drove up to the Acura dealership and bought two new NSXes on the same day. I wonder if the other NSX is also a garage queen sitting somewhere.

As for this one, I hope it isn't abused. I would have driven it, but babied it. If I wanted a drag car, I would have bought a Viper or Vette, or a high mileage modded NSX.

Last edited:
Great looking car you picked up for yourself.

Ya got me, I was at the drag strip ripping mad smokey burnouts in the water box with 10.5" Mickey Thomson slicks
rolleyes.gif

anyway

I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a mature adult. I know how to drive. I've been participating in, and organizing track days in cars and on motorcycles for 8 years. I do all of my own wrenching and I know how a car works. I've rebuilt motors and transmissions, done fabrication and built race cars.

I bought a performance car and I'm going to use it. My question was pretty simple about the clutch and now I have my answer. It is a fairly weak clutch from the factory and I won't launch it hard anymore. I will eventually install a CT Power-grip or similar when the time comes as the stock is inadequate for my style of driving. I will replace or repair other parts when they require it.

He bragged to me about how he and his buddy drove up to the Acura dealership and bought two new NSXes on the same day. I wonder if the other NSX is also a garage queen sitting somewhere.

As for this one, I hope it isn't abused. I would have driven it, but babied it. If I wanted a drag car, I would have bought a Viper or Vette, or a high mileage modded NSX.
His friend recently died in a power boat accident so it's probably sitting somewhere, yes.
And if you want a drag car and you buy a Viper or a Vette you're no better than what you're insinuating about me.
If you want a drag car, get a live axle Mustang.

Wow, Poor car! I wouldn't recommend doing that too many times. I got a chuckle at the "careful hard launch" part. The NSX is much better suited for driving in the twisties than launching it off the line.
There's a difference between side-stepping the clutch and releasing it quickly while lessening drivetrain shock.

This NSX is the nicest thing I have ever owned by far. I take care of it, wax it, keep it in the garage and do not abuse it.
If you want to disagree, feel free to, I welcome other opinions--I probably wont respond though

Last edited:
Ya got me, I was at the drag strip ripping mad smokey burnouts in the water box with 10.5" Mickey Thomson slicks
rolleyes.gif

anyway

I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a mature adult. I know how to drive. I've been participating in, and organizing track days in cars and on motorcycles for 8 years. I do all of my own wrenching and I know how a car works. I've rebuilt motors and transmissions, done fabrication and built race cars.

I bought a performance car and I'm going to use it. My question was pretty simple about the clutch and now I have my answer. It is a fairly weak clutch from the factory and I won't launch it hard anymore. I will eventually install a CT Power-grip or similar when the time comes as the stock is inadequate for my style of driving. I will replace or repair other parts when they require it.

His friend recently died in a power boat accident so it's probably sitting somewhere, yes.
And if you want a drag car and you buy a Viper or a Vette you're no better than what you're insinuating about me.
If you want a drag car, get a live axle Mustang.

There's a difference between side-stepping the clutch and releasing it quickly while lessening drivetrain shock.

This NSX is the nicest thing I have ever owned by far. I take care of it, wax it, keep it in the garage and do not abuse it.
If you want to disagree, feel free to, I welcome other opinions--I probably wont respond though

I guess everyone has a different idea of what abusing a car is. No disrespect intended. Its your car and you have the right to do whatever you want with it.

Sorry to hear about the previous owner's friend. I have a power boat myself and always fear that someone with a cigarette boat might run over my family while cruising at the river. It is amazing how fast 60mph feels on the water...let alone over 100 that some of these boats travel.

I guess everyone has a different idea of what abusing a car is. No disrespect intended. Its your car and you have the right to do whatever you want with it.

Sorry to hear about the previous owner's friend. I have a power boat myself and always fear that someone with a cigarette boat might run over my family while cruising at the river. It is amazing how fast 60mph feels on the water...let alone over 100 that some of these boats travel.
Agreed.

cool, no hard feelings :)

So after installing the clutch damper delete I can definitely feel a lot more through the pedal.
Whereas before--the clutch felt completely smooth all of the time, and to be honest pretty numb. I've always been a fan of cable clutches for this reason, but the NSX is probably the numbest I've felt.

I installed the clutch damper delete hoping for a bit more clamping force on quick releases and a better engagement feel.

I now get a lot more feel through the clutch, but it is just the feeling of engine vibrations and even a bit of road vibrations as well. Unfortunately I don't get any more actual engagement feel.

TL;DR
The good is that it was cheap and fairly simple to install. Took about 3 hours going very, very slowly and carefully and that includes bleeding the clutch which took a while.
The bad is that it increased vibration and feel through the pedal, but just the bad stuff you don't want to feel. It doesn't improve actual engagement feel at all.

So my verdict on this mod is "don't bother"

Congrats on the 2001 purchase

Keep it stock as possible and keep all parts if you do mods
(even though I really want you to sell me those OEM wheels)

You will thank yourself and enjoy the car's value in about ten years

Grab a set of STMPO chassis bars, you'll like what it does for your targa stiffness

So my verdict on this mod is "don't bother"

Good choice! No need to spend $2,500 if the current clutch is in good shape.
I had this same dilemma early-on with my '02 because I had the CT Power Grip installed on my '93 and really liked how hard it would grab off the line.
I will install the CT Clutch after the clutch in my '02 is "done" but...after 60k miles, the stock clutch still performs just fine. :)

Cheers!

Back