• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Addition to the Family... what vehicle to get?

Well, my wife just gave me the news today!

So our dilemma is that both of our cars are 4-seaters (a Z28 and an Element). The Honda's gotta go, and we want to move into something that will accomodate our soon-to-be 5-person family. My wife expressed that practicality and passenger capacity were her top priorities :)rolleyes: ... women...).

Anyway, what high capacity vehicles have you guys owned or driven extensively that you really liked?

Another consideration is that we like to explore "the back woods" a few times a year, and we live in a 4 seasons area, so AWD/4WD would be a big selling point.

The absolute MINIMUM requirement is a 7 seater vehicle, which closes the door to a lot of options.

Oh yeah... budget is about $15k.

And just to clarify... independent research is easy enough, which will be ongoing up until the day I buy the car. I'm hoping to get as much first hand feedback as possible, which is why I'm posting on the forum (and hopefully, people who share my passion can recomend somthing that is enjoyable to drive as well as meets the family's needs).

Last edited:
Whats the budget?

Honda Pilot
CX-7 / 9
Ford Edge

EDIT: Congrats!!!

I found the previous generation Toyota Highlander to be quite versatile and unthreatening. It has 5 usual seats and an optional 3rd row seat to accommodate extra 2 people if need to.
And Congrats!!!
Steve

Congrats on the new addition.

A first generation MDX might be a good vehicle to consider. All wheel drive, seating for 7, Acura build quality and dependability.

I replaced my 2001 MDX with a 2008 and found them both to be excellent.

Best of luck,

Matt

We recently needed to replace our totalled car. We don't have five people, but we wanted something useful for shlepping our dogs around and able to deal with bad weather. $15K would have been stretching our budget, as we were shooting for $12K. We ended up with a 2004 MDX. More on pricing in a moment.

At first we were leaning towards the Honda CRV. But what we found when we looked at prices is that an MDX with comparable mileage was typically only a couple grand more than a CRV, even though the MDX cost roughly twice as much when new. Compared with the CRV, the MDX provides a lot more room (including a third seat, perfectly adequate for kids) and a lot more luxury features. And we already know all the people in the dealer service and parts departments.

Apparently a lot of MDX owners decide to get rid of it when the car reaches 90-100K miles, which may be because they perceive its value as going down when it hits 100K, and may be because they're facing a major service (the timing belt is recommended for 105K miles or 7 years) and they decide they'd rather trade it in than put money into its maintenance. As a result, there are many, many MDX's on the market with this mileage range, and they are mostly 2003-2005 models, mostly listed with asking prices in the $13-15K range. Prices vary a lot more with mileage than with model year; it's not unusual to see models from these years with under 75K miles with $17-18K asking prices.

I recommend avoiding the 2001-2002 MDX, as there were some serious transmission issues with those years. There are lots of improvements made each year. In 2003 the transmission redesign was accompanied by a 20 hp increase to 260, and improvements to the chassis, suspension, and brakes, and a new rearview camera for reversing. In 2004 they increased hp to 265, refreshed the front and back slightly, and added side curtain airbags and a tire pressure monitoring system. 2005 added XM and a larger fuel tank.

There are two basic models and each is available with or without a navigation system (Nav) and a rear entertainment system (RES). About 75 percent of MDX's include the Touring package, which adds an upgraded stereo, roof racks, dual power front seats, and a lot of other nice luxury features (memory for two drivers including seat and mirror adjustments and radio stations, an outside mirror that tilts down when reversing). The Touring package, nav, and RES don't affect resale value a whole lot, so I recommend looking for one with the Touring and nav, and the RES if you would use it. If you're looking for those features, you may find it helpful to identify which features are included by looking at the VIN (click here).

The usual caveats apply for any used car, of course. A maintenance history will tell you a lot about how well it's been kept; a few cars have it in their Carfax, although most don't, but sometimes you can see from the Carfax where it's been located and can ask the Acura dealer there if they have records. Inspect it for condition and accidents. You know the drill.

I bought mine at a distance. When I went to pick it up, I noticed scrapes on both bumpers. Apparently this is not unusual; I guess the corners of the MDX are hard to see from the driver's seat. You can get both bumpers repainted, typically for $500-700, so this was not a dealbreaker for me.

HTH - if you decide to consider the MDX, feel free to ask more questions, either here or via PM. There's an active MDX forum website at mdxers.org.

We recently needed to replace our totalled car. We don't have five people, but we wanted something useful for shlepping our dogs around and able to deal with bad weather. $15K would have been stretching our budget, as we were shooting for $12K. We ended up with a 2004 MDX. More on pricing in a moment.

At first we were leaning towards the Honda CRV. But what we found when we looked at prices is that an MDX with comparable mileage was typically only a couple grand more than a CRV, even though the MDX cost roughly twice as much when new. Compared with the CRV, the MDX provides a lot more room (including a third seat, perfectly adequate for kids) and a lot more luxury features. And we already know all the people in the dealer service and parts departments.

Apparently a lot of MDX owners decide to get rid of it when the car reaches 90-100K miles, which may be because they perceive its value as going down when it hits 100K, and may be because they're facing a major service (the timing belt is recommended for 105K miles or 7 years) and they decide they'd rather trade it in than put money into its maintenance. As a result, there are many, many MDX's on the market with this mileage range, and they are mostly 2003-2005 models, mostly listed with asking prices in the $13-15K range. Prices vary a lot more with mileage than with model year; it's not unusual to see models from these years with under 75K miles with $17-18K asking prices.

I recommend avoiding the 2001-2002 MDX, as there were some serious transmission issues with those years. There are lots of improvements made each year. In 2003 the transmission redesign was accompanied by a 20 hp increase to 260, and improvements to the chassis, suspension, and brakes, and a new rearview camera for reversing. In 2004 they increased hp to 265, refreshed the front and back slightly, and added side curtain airbags and a tire pressure monitoring system. 2005 added XM and a larger fuel tank.

There are two basic models and each is available with or without a navigation system (Nav) and a rear entertainment system (RES). About 75 percent of MDX's include the Touring package, which adds an upgraded stereo, roof racks, dual power front seats, and a lot of other nice luxury features (memory for two drivers including seat and mirror adjustments and radio stations, an outside mirror that tilts down when reversing). The Touring package, nav, and RES don't affect resale value a whole lot, so I recommend looking for one with the Touring and nav, and the RES if you would use it. If you're looking for those features, you may find it helpful to identify which features are included by looking at the VIN (click here).

The usual caveats apply for any used car, of course. A maintenance history will tell you a lot about how well it's been kept; a few cars have it in their Carfax, although most don't, but sometimes you can see from the Carfax where it's been located and can ask the Acura dealer there if they have records. Inspect it for condition and accidents. You know the drill.

I bought mine at a distance. When I went to pick it up, I noticed scrapes on both bumpers. Apparently this is not unusual; I guess the corners of the MDX are hard to see from the driver's seat. You can get both bumpers repainted, typically for $500-700, so this was not a dealbreaker for me.

HTH - if you decide to consider the MDX, feel free to ask more questions, either here or via PM. There's an active MDX forum website at mdxers.org.

Interestingly enough... I found mdxers.org through a google search and the first thread I opened was one you posted in. I wondered if it was the same nsxtasy, and then I saw the pics of your recent purchase... And now here it's come full circle. It's a small internet, afterall.

Looking at the MDX, it does seem to meet all our requirements, and you've certainly done your homework... so I will gladly stand on your shoulders and use what you've learned in my search. :smile:

Did you check the news on oil prices today? This summer gas prices will be at $4.00 minimum. If that matters to you at all, another alternative to the MDX is the older generation Highlander Hybrid. It drives very well, seats seven, and gets 30+ MPG in the city versus the MDX at like 15. I am pretty sure if you look around you can find a clean one for 15K'ish. It is all wheel drive but the rear wheels are driven by the battery. It accelerates hard because it has a lot of torque at 0 RPM. I believe it is around 270 combined HP. It isn't really a serious offroad vehicle but it will get around in the snow and slight dirt, no problem.

Otherwise, I would get a minivan. You give up a lot of space and gas milage with an SUV. An element is fairly roomy. I am not sure how much you are gaining going to an MDX. Not much... a minivan on the other hand will give you LOADS more space, drives better, is a lot safer than an SUV, and gets better gas milage. Sienna's come in AWD too, but they are all good in the snow with a set of tires.

Congratulations!

I guess I'll be the only one to recommend a minivan :rolleyes:

Minivans are the most practical :wink: and offer right at the highest passenger-carrying capacity :wink:.

As early as 2004, the Toyota Sienna was available in AWD too.

Power sliding doors and the sheer interior volume compared to SUV's just can't be beat, especially with three kids! Plenty are available in your price range.

Good luck,

Dave

2nd to vote minivan.

My brother finally caved in and traded in his H2 for a Honda Odyssey. They have 3 boys. His wife refused to get rid of her Escalade and drive a minivan. So, he finally caved in and did it. Although minivans get a bad rap, they are the most useful and easiest to use for his family.

What's funny is that I was thinking about adding a post suggesting a minivan, and I see that others have done so while I was thinking about it.

We didn't give minivans a whole lot of thought, because my SO wanted 4WD and we preferred to stick to Honda/Acura based on our experience. A minivan definitely has the advantage of additional room over an SUV. OTOH the MDX has a lot of luxury features (too numerous to mention - you can easily find them listed on various websites), a lot more than most minivans you will find. So those are the trade-offs. A quick glance at Autotrader shows that Sienna AWD prices for a comparable older year and mileage are similar to those for the MDX.

Incidentally, the MDX is EPA rated at 17/23 mpg city/highway; so far our around-town mileage is less (14-16) but winter mileage tends to be worse. I understand from other owners that long-distance mileage is typically around 25.

Last edited:

Nice job NXSTACY and you are spot on on your observations and assumptions.

Last year I traded in the wife's 04 MDX (it was quickly approaching 100K miles). We loved the luxury of the MDX, it drove well and it looks good. However we began to realize that it was a little small for our needs. 2 kids and 2 dogs (and all our crap) and we travel to LA and back (800mi RT) often. We needed something larger so I traded it in for a Honda Ridgeline (of course). The wife loves the RL and there is plenty of room for the kids and dogs (but not room for 7).

However one thing you failed to mention about the MDX which I think is very relevant in these times is the horrible gas mileage. Perhaps due to the AWD system but that thing could suck down a lot of gas for a small SUV and Premium gas too.

I was going to suggest minivan to the OP as well. Some guys (I suspect whom are insecure about their manhood) say they could never drive one but they are extremely practical as a family hauler. And Honda makes the best minivan out there.

Some guys (I suspect whom are insecure about their manhood) say they could never drive one but they are extremely practical as a family hauler. And Honda makes the best minivan out there.

I bought a new 2005 Sienna in my mid 20's - what does that say? My DD is a 2010 Prius. But I refuse to wear pink shirts or carry my wife's purse.

Dave

2 kids and 2 dogs (and all our crap)
We have two dogs and we wanted to be able to keep two crates set up in the rear. The MDX fits two of these behind the second seat.

As it turns out, we lucked out and it also came equipped with a tow hitch. We got an Otto Step which fits in the tow hitch and allows the dogs to step in and out of the MDX without having to jump all the way up or down. I highly recommend it for any vehicle, including your Ridgeline!

Well, this early in the search, it's impossible to make a commitment, but the Sienna and the MDX are looking like the best options. As for fuel economy, the Element gets slightly worse mileage than my Camaro (despite my heavy foot on back roads and on-ramps)... go figure. My wife also does not do a lot of driving. Usually no more than 5 or 10 miles at a time, and certainly less than 100 miles per week.

So, we can live with less than optimal fuel economy, but less money spent on gas (or anything, for that matter) is always nice.

Incidentally, I had to drive the Honda to work today, because it is snowing quite profusely here and my car's 275s could not find any traction....:frown:

Another consideration is that we like to explore "the back woods" a few times a year, and we live in a 4 seasons area, so AWD/4WD would be a big selling point.

I'm a little concerned with recommending a minivan to explore the "back-woods". . I would think the ground clearance would be an issue. .

Unless you mean "explore" as in park the minivan in a parking spot and backpack the woods. . .
If you mean "off-road" explore, then I would expect the MDX to be better suited. :smile:

Well... the more "exploring" we can do in the vehicle, the better. I agree that the clearence and the suspension set up on a minivan would be far from optimum for actually driving off-road... still, for unimproved roads or more-or-less flat, even dirt/mud, the AWD would be better than 2WD. But, yes... I agree: the SUVs are far better suited toward the purpose of exploration... the limits of our vehicle will determine just how mild/wild we can get with the exploring.

Back