• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New AP-X exhaust systems

Hello everyone! I am currently working on a couple of new designs for N/A and S/C exhaust systems and would like to get some feedback on what the people would like to see asthetics wise as well as sound wise.

I am thinking along the lines of this:

AP-X ver. 2 - a much quieter simpler system that is maybe along the lines of a comptech or HKS (single cannister) this will also be a very cost effective system due to simplicity.

AP-X ver. 3 - a system similar in sound to the ver. 1 although it will look more exotic (using angled cannisters and possibly the inclusion of 1/4 wave resonators to produce a high pitch sound)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
How about an exhaust system which has an aero undertray or functional diffuser built in? Some OEMs shape their mufflers to be aero friendly and keep a reasonably clean flow along the underbody. The NSX is pretty clean up front and in the middle, but then things go to hell under the engine and where the muffler is.

The diffuser does not have to be aggressive or complex--even just presenting a nice clean face to the airflow would be an improvement.

How about an exhaust system which has an aero undertray or functional diffuser built in? Some OEMs shape their mufflers to be aero friendly and keep a reasonably clean flow along the underbody. The NSX is pretty clean up front and in the middle, but then things go to hell under the engine and where the muffler is.

The diffuser does not have to be aggressive or complex--even just presenting a nice clean face to the airflow would be an improvement.

I see the idea, like the 350Z has, that's an interesting idea.

I think single walled exhaust tips are a must rather than double wall.

Single walled tips can be requested with all of my exhausts, although the double walled tips are designed to keep the outer polished tip from getting discolored due to heat and most people like them since it gives a distinctive look.

Have you removed your inner wall yet? It is super easy to do, about 5-10 min per side.

Single walled tips can be requested with all of my exhausts, although the double walled tips are designed to keep the outer polished tip from getting discolored due to heat and most people like them since it gives a distinctive look.

Have you removed your inner wall yet? It is super easy to do, about 5-10 min per side.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but will before Spring for sure. :)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome!
The AP-X ver. 2 sounds good to me. My personal preferences for a new muffler, in descending order of importance, would be:
  1. Does not hang down lower than the rear valence. That way I can tuck my rear diffuser all the way up to the valence so that it practically cannot be seen, which I cannot do with a muffler that hangs down as low as stock.
  2. Is made of high enough quality materials that I should never need to replace any tubes, sheet metal, or packing materials even if I drive over salty roads in the winter and at full throttle in the summer. (A4 aka 316 grade stainless steel throughout including the steel wool? Ceramic wool packing?)
  3. Mounts to stock 1991 catalytic converter locations and allows me to mount stock-looking oval tips (maybe from an Audi RS6) in the stock pre-facelift location (i.e. they shouldn't stick out as far as the 2002+ tips).
  4. Produces a nice, deep tone (not high-pitched and F1-like) with a volume similar to my current HKS muffler.
  5. Is fully or at least mostly straight-through to minimize backpressure, blends the exhaust streams from both banks to make it sound good (X-pipe or just a central chamber with two bellmouths welded to the exhaust side?), and is equal-length if possible.
  6. Saves weight.
I don’t know whether other people have similar priorities, but that’s what I’m looking for in a muffler and expect I’m going to have to have one custom made.

I'm interested in something similar to a hybrid ver 1 and ver 3. Would like the inclusion of the resonators (mainly to rid of any drone), but I don't really care too much what the mufflers or design looks like, since I'm all about hiding the mufflers with flat-black paint.

All I really care about is the tips. I really want the ARC aggressive angled Single tips. If you could make a version without tips (or make the tips a separate bolt-on-able piece), that would be awesome. I could then add whatever tips I want or have a muffler shop make me some.

I'm interested in something similar to a hybrid ver 1 and ver 3. Would like the inclusion of the resonators (mainly to rid of any drone), but I don't really care too much what the mufflers or design looks like, since I'm all about hiding the mufflers with flat-black paint.

All I really care about is the tips. I really want the ARC aggressive angled Single tips. If you could make a version without tips (or make the tips a separate bolt-on-able piece), that would be awesome. I could then add whatever tips I want or have a muffler shop make me some.

I can make you a Ver. 1 with custom tips like that - just pm me and I can set you up

The AP-X ver. 2 sounds good to me. My personal preferences for a new muffler, in descending order of importance, would be:
  1. Does not hang down lower than the rear valence. That way I can tuck my rear diffuser all the way up to the valence so that it practically cannot be seen, which I cannot do with a muffler that hangs down as low as stock.
  2. Is made of high enough quality materials that I should never need to replace any tubes, sheet metal, or packing materials even if I drive over salty roads in the winter and at full throttle in the summer. (A4 aka 316 grade stainless steel throughout including the steel wool? Ceramic wool packing?)
  3. Mounts to stock 1991 catalytic converter locations and allows me to mount stock-looking oval tips (maybe from an Audi RS6) in the stock pre-facelift location (i.e. they shouldn't stick out as far as the 2002+ tips).
  4. Produces a nice, deep tone (not high-pitched and F1-like) with a volume similar to my current HKS muffler.
  5. Is fully or at least mostly straight-through to minimize backpressure, blends the exhaust streams from both banks to make it sound good (X-pipe or just a central chamber with two bellmouths welded to the exhaust side?), and is equal-length if possible.
  6. Saves weight.
I don’t know whether other people have similar priorities, but that’s what I’m looking for in a muffler and expect I’m going to have to have one custom made.

You pretty much listed what the exhaust will be. Although the tips are an optional thing that you will need to discuss at the time of purchase.

Single tips with F1 sound.

F1 Sound.......please!

I've once had AP-X's and now I have Pride V2 on my NSX. The reason for changing it was because of the drone when the engine is hot. However i really loved its high pitch sound @ WOT. It gave me much more high pitch than my Pride exhaust. One thing I want to mention to Angus is that when engine and exhaust is cold, drone is there but much less than when the engine is hot. I hope you consider this change of drone according to change of temperature when building new version of this already perfected exhaust system. As a sound guy, i think AP-X is by far the closest to F car sound. :cool: i have no doubt that i'll seriously consider to purchase new version if the drone is taken care of and high pitch gets more pronounced.

Last edited:
I dont understand why NSX exhausts are so horrendously expensive. I know the volume made is alot smaller, but for $400 you can get brand new full stainless greddy, apexi, etc exhausts for a host of other cars, and NSX is $1200 for less piping, a single muffler and some random tips.

If you make a simple, decent sounding exhaust, and can price it around $500 I think you would sell every single one you made.

I dont understand why NSX exhausts are so horrendously expensive. I know the volume made is alot smaller, but for $400 you can get brand new full stainless greddy, apexi, etc exhausts for a host of other cars, and NSX is $1200 for less piping, a single muffler and some random tips.

If you make a simple, decent sounding exhaust, and can price it around $500 I think you would sell every single one you made.

NSX Tax. Comes with the exclusivity of the vehicle. Look into exhaust systems for Ferrari's and Lambo's.

I like my GTLW for the lightweight but the sound is a bit loud and not exotic. I wouldn't mind if it was loud and exotic but its not.

I like the F1 sound but doubt it can be done since we don't have a flat crank and missing two cyl. I don't think an exotic sound is possible with 6 cyl.
I will buy a new exhaust if its lightweight and a quieter sound.
I don't mind the Comptech quiet sound but its too heavy.

Last edited:
Lightweight, deep tone sound, not sound raspy, not too loud, no drone, not too restrictive for sc or turbo cars, exhaust tips dont hang too low, big burnt tips like the newer ark v3 exhaust. Can it be done?

Last edited:
This is awesome. Cant wait to see these new versions.

One recommendation I'd make, is to be sure that whatever design you do for future variations of the exhausts, will still maintain enough clearance for various diffusers (i.e., the Difflow unit). My v1 design was pretty close, the v3 design you're doing intrigues me but I'm concerned on potential clearance.

Just a thought. :)

I like my GTLW for the lightweight but the sound is a bit loud and not exotic. I wouldn't mind if it was loud and exotic but its not.

I like the F1 sound but doubt it can be done since we don't have a flat crank and missing two cyl. I don't think an exotic sound is possible with 6 cyl.
I will buy a new exhaust if its lightweight and a quieter sound.
I don't mind the Comptech quiet sound but its too heavy.

You should buy the new Comptech exhaust then:

Racing inspired design is lighter than the original, with a slightly more aggressive tone

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/CT-Engineering/exhuast/

Drone is so 1995.

Great sounding, high pitch (see F1 threads), no drone, free-flowing, and LIGHTWEIGHT.

I'll settle for the last three.

AP-X ver. 3 - a system similar in sound to the ver. 1 although it will look more exotic (using angled cannisters and possibly the inclusion of 1/4 wave resonators to produce a high pitch sound)

Angus- When you say high pitch, do you mean Ferrari/Lambo-esque? I would much rather hear an exotic growl like these cars, as opposed to a ricer (sorry, there's no better word for it) giant-bumblebee sound.

Angus- When you say high pitch, do you mean Ferrari/Lambo-esque? I would much rather hear an exotic growl like these cars, as opposed to a ricer (sorry, there's no better word for it) giant-bumblebee sound.

We're 4-6 cylinders short of achieving that sound...

Ther will be no bumlebee sound.

I will keep teh sound as "exotic" as possible.

I have a V.3 that is just about ready for testing -

I've once had AP-X's and now I have Pride V2 on my NSX. The reason for changing it was because of the drone when the engine is hot. However i really loved its high pitch sound @ WOT. It gave me much more high pitch than my Pride exhaust. One thing I want to mention to Angus is that when engine and exhaust is cold, drone is there but much less than when the engine is hot. I hope you consider this change of drone according to change of temperature when building new version of this already perfected exhaust system. As a sound guy, i think AP-X is by far the closest to F car sound. :cool: i have no doubt that i'll seriously consider to purchase new version if the drone is taken care of and high pitch gets more pronounced.

Just wanted to note that not everyone gets the drone and there are two ways to eliminate it:

1) have the y-pipe updated with the crossover pipe I designed (retains the high pitch sound)

2) add my resonated test pipes - this will increase flow and sound as well.

Back