• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New BMW Z5 Roadster

2018 BMW Z5 is back on the street for more testing

Next year, the G29-generation BMW Z5 will replace the current, and aging, E89 model. The G29 BMW Z5 will be built alongside the upcoming Toyota Supra, as it’s part of the joint sports car venture between the Bavarian and Japanese brands. There’s quite a lot of hype about this car and as we approach launch time, more and more spy photos surface on the interwebs.

The heavy camouflage continues to hide the fine details, but a few things can be observed from these spy shots. The new headlights seem to squint a bit more and seem a bit more aggressive. Out back, BMW has kept the classic roadster proportions intact. While this new Z5 does look like it’s going to be a bit longer than before, it still has the long hood and short rear deck.

We also see dual exhaust pipes, one at either side of the car. This tells us that this is likely the BMW Z4 M40i variant, using the new B58 turbocharged 3.0 liter I6 engine. Most four-cylinder BMWs have two exhaust pipes side-by-side on the left side of the rear.

The new BMW Z5 will be built in Graz, Austria, by Magna-Steyr.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/31/2018-bmw-z4-back-street-testing/

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-1.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-4.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image.jpg

2018-BMW-Z4-Z5-image-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More BMW Z5 Ruminations

The best thing about BMW Z5 is that it so well disguised that there are virtually no clues to how it will actually appear.

But close up photography shows such details to reflect its now intentions. Such as very low nose and wide kidney grille.

But yes Z5 will be a serious sports car. It will have a Carbon content that will shame high end sports cars as well as a weight advantage. Hence why a soft top roof has now been adapted.

A benefit of pooling resources between BMW and Toyota in which costs shared over materials allows increased implementation.

The car exercises a very light and minimalistic cockpit, important for a sports car but still current with modern technology and luxuries.

Of course as for this car engines will be familiar,but the outputs will be exclusive and a manual will be available for the more enthusiastic driver. The Z5 will receive a four cylinder and a six cylinder but the output will be exclusive to this model. Therefore retaining the lightweight philosophy but for high performance. That is what the new Z cars will offer.

Z5 M Version?

Z5 is an unknown quantity as its being placed a little higher than the current car, mainly against the Jaguar F-Type. So it is a full relaunch of a new model aimed at enticing more Sports car owners from the more accessible Z4. That is why there is an advanced programme of development with Toyota on the new car as both companies can pool resources on one car. BMW see the relaunch of the Z series similar to the BMWi cars with a new genre of sports cars using a lightweight philosophy although aimed at performance rather than sustainability. Should the car initially be successful? Then we will see progress.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278921

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I never really wanted a Z3 or Z4, but I admired their dedication to the roadster proportions with the looooong nose. Looks like they're de-emphasizing that.

You lost me at,"Rag Top."

Looks a bit bigger than the Z3-Z4. I would have confused it for a 6 series convertible if not for the title of the post.

The front resembles the new M8 which I really like but the rear is a wash, same with the M8. I’d still pick the M5 over the M8.

Last edited:
Back