• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Member, New Owner

Hello Everyone. I am thrilled to be a new member of the NSX Prime community. I finally purchased my first NSX over the weekend :biggrin:. A one owner, silver 2001 NSX with 66,000 mi. JH4NA21661T000116. I had the pleasure of driving her from San Diego to San Francisco and I can honestly say that the trip did nothing but solidify my LOVE for this car. Balance, handling, cornering, acceleration, exhaust note, comfortable seats and great gas mileage to boot. My only question is... what took me so long to buy an NSX?

I actually sold my '07 BMW M5 to buy the NSX and I must say, I don't miss the 500HP V10 or the Nav, active seat bolsters or other interior gadgets a bit. Not to knock the M, I had an '01 M5 before the '07 and they are fine automobiles :smile:.

Big thanks to NSX Prime for all the NSX purchasing guidance I found on the forum and for the 'checklists'. Also, big thanks to Jerry at Greenlight Auto for the PPI and for the insight into the inner workings of my new motor.

I look forward to meeting everyone and to attending future events. I will post a few pics as soon as it stops raining in NorCal.

Congrats
Wellcome to community
Now post pic!! u know the rule u can't just hi and not show pics

Zaid

+1 pics! Welcome and kudos for the nice find! I hope you will be able to drive her as much if not more than the last owner!:cool:

Congratulations on your new purchase! I still remember how great it felt to realize that I owned such an amazing car. Sad to see a NSX leave SD but, keeping it in Cali works-maybe I'll get to see your NSX some day when I go up to Nor Cal to visit my family in the Bay. Hope it stops raining so you can enjoy it (just remember, you can always wash it and she'll handle very well in the rain too-so don't be afraid to drive her).

Funny how you sold your M5 for the NSX...I was actually between both of those cars when I was shopping around but ended up with my long time dream car since the M5 is not really a car that I can see myself holding onto forever! :biggrin:

welcome and congrats on the last year of the popups.....:biggrin:

would it be rude to ask all new owners how much they paid so that the wtb learn the current market value to help educate ourselves

Congrats and welcome. We have a good group of owners up here in Nor-Cal. Seems to be a lot of new owners all of a sudden.

I think the next big meet will be the one in downtown SF for the Japan disaster fund raiser.

This rain sucks but don't be one of those owners that think their NSX will melt if rain water touches it.

Isn't it funny that an 01 honda is on the same boat as an 07 m5. Figures you havnt seen to many nsx owners switching to one of them. It makes me giggle inside that new style m5 is same value as an na2nsx. The early m5's I have to bow down to. Those were ahead of there time. That was the sedan of the century. Hands down. Audi go to heal with your boat where you managed to stick a lamborghini engine into.

Good for you - nothing like driving it home too. You have to let us know all the specifics of the car - as in how it was maintained - what's been done - what was deffered that you may have to do and it's always nice to know that and the price of the car if you care to share that. It helps us all build our own knowledge and keeps us current with pricing on the NSX.

The only thing I've ever thought I might do is sell mine to buy a later NA2 model just like the one you got - last of the pop ups. I just think the car looks better with pop ups. I like em all but I'm just a bit partial to the pop up style.

I know you'll love it and you ought to know too that it's the fastest color - ssssshhhhh - don't tell anyone....:biggrin:

don't forget to drive it like you stole it, 8000RPM sounds great in Honda doesn't it? I love the NSX more for the precise handling rather then the power, it should've gotten a V8 or a V10, because the handling sure was built for it! But welcome to PRIME! :smile:

Well, the sun finally made an appearance in NorCal so I had a chance to take a few photos of my new baby...

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4253.jpg
    IMG_4253.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 69
Nice, I want the last year of the pop-ups, it has all the goodies,
3.2L engine, 6-speed tranny, EPS, and the best front end ( the pop-ups )

glad to see you got a manual tranny, all of them should have been manual.

nice color, great choice.

BMW are great cars, but you see them every where,
you see Lexus everywhere
you see Porsche everywhere
you almost never see NSX's

so YES its an Exotic, imported High-end sportscar

have fun and drive her daily dont Garage Queen it
like most of the OLD FART owners do. drive it

Last edited:
would it be rude to ask all new owners how much they paid so that the wtb learn the current market value to help educate ourselves

It probably is, but the asking price at the dealership was public record, and that was something like $39,900. I remember this one distinctly (San Diego 116) because it's my "dream" NSX. A super-clean, one-owner, bone-stock, no issues 2001 in one of my colors. I lusted heavily after it, and believe me, if I was still looking for one, would have been on a plane immediately with a wire-transfer ready to go, no haggling required.

Glad to see OP has brought it into the Prime community... congrats! When do you think you might want to sell it? ;)

don't forget to drive it like you stole it

If you bought it at what the dealer was asking, or less... you DID steal it IMO.

have fun and drive her daily dont Garage Queen it like most of the OLD FART owners do. drive it

Hey, I resemble that remark! Although when it's in the garage it's because either a) it's too cold (Direzza + 32 degrees = trouble), or b) it's on stands getting wrenched.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Just wanted to take a minute to try and answer a few of your questions. My new ride is a one owner NSX that has been in San Diego since the original sale in 2001. All maintenance prior to my purchase was performed by an Acura dealership in SD and I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of all maintenance records. Maintenance items performed by the dealer that are worth noting include timing belt/water pump in ’08 at 53,000 mi., torn roof molding on drivers side replaced at 53K (no, it does not leak), replaced O2 sensor at 38,000 mi. The rest of the maintenance was standard stuff (oil changes, 30K, 15K service, etc.)

My PPI was performed by Jerry at Greenlight. The only things Jerry uncovered were a leaking clutch master cylinder, battery in need of replacement, torn front spoiler lip and bad trunk struts. My maintenance in NorCal will be done by Jim at Belmont Car Care. Last week Jim replaced the clutch master, trunk struts and battery. Jim also noticed I’ve got a small crack in the right front turn lamp (not sure how I missed that) Oh yea, the aspirator fan is a little noisy (I just crank up the RPMs and the noise goes away:smile:). Jim concluded the car was very clean and the engine was tight.

The wheels have a bit of curb rash which I will deal with at some point in the near future. Interior and exterior are damn near perfect. The purchase price was $39,888 and I was perfectly happy with the deal. I plan to hold on to my baby for the long haul! Funny, I don’t miss my E60 M5 a bit…

To V.lats97nsx… you are right, the E39 M5 was a wonderful car. I had my ’01 M5 for six years and sold her with 118,000 miles. Those sedan’s were way ahead of their time.

A beauty! congrats! enjoy it in good health! and welcome to the community!

Hello Everyone. I am thrilled to be a new member of the NSX Prime community. I finally purchased my first NSX over the weekend :biggrin:. A one owner, silver 2001 NSX with 66,000 mi. JH4NA21661T000116. I had the pleasure of driving her from San Diego to San Francisco and I can honestly say that the trip did nothing but solidify my LOVE for this car. Balance, handling, cornering, acceleration, exhaust note, comfortable seats and great gas mileage to boot. My only question is... what took me so long to buy an NSX?

I actually sold my '07 BMW M5 to buy the NSX and I must say, I don't miss the 500HP V10 or the Nav, active seat bolsters or other interior gadgets a bit. Not to knock the M, I had an '01 M5 before the '07 and they are fine automobiles :smile:.

Big thanks to NSX Prime for all the NSX purchasing guidance I found on the forum and for the 'checklists'. Also, big thanks to Jerry at Greenlight Auto for the PPI and for the insight into the inner workings of my new motor.

I look forward to meeting everyone and to attending future events. I will post a few pics as soon as it stops raining in NorCal.

Congrat.....

Not sure if the NSX and M5's are comparable. They are both great cars, but very different. However, I am sure you will save lots of money on maintenance down the road with the NSX. The maintenance cost on the Bimmers is a joke.

In term of driving experience, the NSX is just awesome. The shifter is so wonderful and the BMW manual shifters are pretty bad.

Back