• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Confirmed!

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04595978

Honda confirms it: Acura NSX sports car will be replaced

By YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News

The HSC show car is "a realistic proposal" for the next-generation NSX, says Honda President Takeo Fukui.

TOKYO - The 13-year-old Acura NSX sports car will be replaced soon by a car much like the HSC concept coupe shown at the Tokyo Motor Show, Honda President Takeo Fukui disclosed last week.

"I want to bring it out soon," Fukui said in an interview for the annual Automotive News Talk from the Top series. "Everybody is waiting for it. It won't be in a year, though."

Fukui called the two-seat HSC concept "a realistic proposal" and said the production NSX would not change much from the show car. The HSC concept, which had a 300-hp V-6 under the hood, is shorter, wider and lower than the current NSX.

"I like the overall proportion of it," Fukui said. "Its compactness is attractive."

The NSX, which has a small but passionate following among performance enthusiasts, has not been fully remodeled since it debuted in 1990. Reflecting its age, worldwide sales last year totaled only 364, with the U.S. market accounting for 233.

The car's worldwide sales peaked at more than 4,500 in 1991.

"This is not a volume car, so it has be aimed at the global market," Fukui said.

The replacement for the nearly $90,000 vehicle is part of Honda's move to shore up the Acura brand. The automaker also will update the Acura RL, due out next fall, by dropping front-wheel drive.

Agreed.

Hopefully they'll be able to get close to 400.

And if the HSC is truly "compact" then that might bode well for a significant weight reduction.

-Jim

Crap Jimbo... you beat me to the post. Didn't see yours in there... oh well..

My thoughts are again.. a 300HP V6 is PATHETIC. Infact, they should have brought out a 300HP V6 back in 1991.

If you look at the story at the top it is the new Pontiac GTO. A 30K sports sedan with a 350HP V8. If a $30,000 car can have a 350HP v8, why can't a $90K exotic have something more than a 300HP V6. And I still think a hybrid is a complete waste of weight.

I guess we will see.

300 hp? :rolleyes:

From what Fukui says, "the production NSX would not change much from the show car," I guess we're stuck with 300 hp.

If so, time to shop for another brand.

I really do expect more than 300hp. I think the 300hp engine in the HSC was just a placeholder. Heck that's what the current engine puts out.

You're right about the GTO. The new C6 Vette will have more than 400hp and that's the standard engine (which weighs about the same as the current NSX V6, btw). The new Z06 will have 500+ hp. Not bad for a pushrod engine that's the same weight as the 3.2L V6 in the NSX.

But I really do think Honda will up the ante for the next NSX. If they can chop 300 lbs and get close to 400hp...then all should be OK.

From what Fukui says, "the production NSX would not change much from the show car,"

I think Fukui was talking about the styling and not the engine.

It would be really sad to come out with a car that is just a complete flop simply because it doesn't have any HP.

The HSC is a truly gorgeous car, but giving it 300HP is just killing it before it even makes production.

Surely Honda can see that? Can't they? If not, someone please tell them! The NSX is a total sales flop and why? Is it because it is a HONDA? I don't think so. If you ask any car guy what they think about the NSX.. what do they say? "Its a nice car, but it needs more power". Everyone in the industry thinks it is a "nice car, but needs more power".

I don't think ANYONE who was considering buying a ferrari or porsche would say ... hmm.. I will take on of those new HSC's instead and get smoked by all my competition on the track and strip.

I will be happy-- for now -- if it has 400HP, but even 400 is going to look weak compared to the next gen ferrari and the current Gallardo. If the stradale already has 425HP, I can imagine the next version of the 360 will have at least 450HP. Jimbo already pointed out the next vette will have a 400HP engine in a 40K car...

If anyone at honda reads this site, PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS and give the car an engine it deserves....

NetViper said:
If you ask any car guy what they think about the NSX.. what do they say? "Its a nice car, but it needs more power".
This has been true of the results of the surveys that American Honda has done of NSX owners. I can assure you that all the executives at American Honda are familiar with this perception. Have they passed it along to their counterparts in Japan? Highly likely. Will the NSX replacement have significantly more horsepower? We'll see, but don't bet against it.

nsxtasy said:
This has been true of the results of the surveys that American Honda has done of NSX owners. I can assure you that all the executives at American Honda are familiar with this perception. Have they passed it along to their counterparts in Japan? Highly likely. Will the NSX replacement have significantly more horsepower? We'll see, but don't bet against it.

Isn't the point of a concept car to gauge interest in making a production car? Wouldn't you want to show off what you can do? Why only put a 300HP engine in it. If anything, that hurts the image of the concept. I guess I am confused by that. Why not put a 500HP v8 in there if for no other reason than the increase public interest in the car?

nsxtasy said:
I can assure you that all the executives at American Honda are familiar with this perception. Have they passed it along to their counterparts in Japan? Highly likely. Will the NSX replacement have significantly more horsepower? We'll see, but don't bet against it.

I hope your right b/c in its current HP state I'm not buying!

Re: 400hp/ awd

brucewinter said:

Lightweight materials will be a prerequisite for a good power-to-weight ratio. Also, the typical Honda characteristic of good handling requires a low kerb weight. This implies that a relatively small V6 engine, not more than 3.5 litres, is likely. The power plant of about 350 hp stays in its mid-ship position but will be enhanced by a light, compact electric motor to lower emissions and fuel consumption.

As there is little space left over in the engine compartment, the IMA or integrated motor assist with about 50 hp will be located up front. It will drive the front wheels, thus making the next 400 hp NSX an all-wheel-drive car with semi-automatic paddle shift transmission.

The HSC's use of cameras for rearward vision will probably be replaced by simpler door mirrors.

The huge Brembo brakes also won't make it to production and the tyres will be smaller and the car should have better ground clearance. Overall, the next model will be wider and higher.

Why would the production car not have the brembos?? Makes no sense...

And how can you call it AWD if the electric motor powers the front wheels.... after two laps of a track.. it will only be RWD as the battery will be dead.

I guess I really just don't understand honda anymore..

If the NSX replacement has IMA/Hybrid technology then it won't be a NSX.

There's NO way I'd consider a hybrid NSX.

:mad:

There's nothing wrong with sticking with V6 provided that it has the power needed. I'd much rather see Honda go the turbo or supercharged V6 route.

Keep the hybrids for the people movers, econoboxes and the SUVs.

stop acting like crybabies

/Stef

Not until the car is out.

I don't think we can make any judgments on the car until it is in production. Everything beyond the basic shape of the car is just speculation at this point (some more informed than others). When the car hits the street, when the magazines get ahold of it, and when I can take it for a test drive -- then I'll decide.

AGENT948 said:
So, what do you guys think the consequence of this will be to current owners as far as values and potential re-sale?
For the past few years, the value of older well-maintained NSXs has been very stable, typically selling in the low thirties. New NSXs depreciate fairly quickly, often losing $20K in value during their first 3-4 years (sometimes more, depending on how good a deal the original owner got when buying the car). Assuming the new car sells in roughly the same price range as the old one, I don't think the pricing is going to change all that drastically for anything other than the very newest current-gen cars.

I have one big question.....

If I-VTEC is so great.... why isn't the HSC using a V6 with I-VTEC? Doesn't BMW's Double Vanos use similar tech on the M3 I6?

Thus far isn't only the TSX and RSX using it? I thought it was the next gen. engine from honda?

Did I miss something?

I don't understand, he (Mr. Fukui) wants to release the NSX
replacement soon, but not within a year. Seems like it was only months between the prototype photos of the TL to the showroom
(and it was remarkably true to the prototype). If the HSC was released tomorrow with 300 hp and a lower price it would sell.
If it isn't released for 2 more years and at the same or higher price than the present NSX it won't sell unless it has a lot more horsepower. Stop teasing us and build it!

NetViper said:
If anyone at honda reads this site, PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS and give the car an engine it deserves....
I would guess that the NSX development team is (and has been) aware of the relevant posts about the next generation NSX (X2) on NSXPrime. Especially the discussions concerning the HSC horsepower.

Remember Karnack?... nsx1 predicts - 396hp :cool:

For those that put a deposit for the '05 HSC, I think you've been had by the dealer. Looks like it won't debut until '06 based on the article.....

Back