• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Confirmed!

I'm not totaly understanding this ,they are saying that they are going to replace the NSX or just make a second generation NSX?

Midnight_Raven said:
I'm not totaly understanding this ,they are saying that they are going to replace the NSX or just make a second generation NSX?
The only difference between those two concepts is the name, and they did not say anything definitive about whether the new car will, or won't, continue with the NSX moniker.

Doesn't anyone here think that Honda simply put the current v-6 in the HSC so that they don't tip their hand to the competition? why give Mazda, Nissan, or Toyota a head start?

My guess is that they're gonna do a 3.5 liter v-6 putting out 350-400hp. Wasn't the 3.0 v-6 back in 1991 waaaay ahead hp-wise from what their current line up had (if any of those cars had the 3.0)? Does anyone know if that's true? I'm looking at the 3.2 in the new tl doing 270, so wouldn't it make sense to put in the 3.5 in the nsx and kick it in the high 300's? just my 2 cents....

nsxtasy said:
The only difference between those two concepts is the name, and they did not say anything definitive about whether the new car will, or won't, continue with the NSX moniker.

it will probably not. You heard it here first...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=206646#post206646

For those who still doubt my info, at 10:45am today I posted about the imminent Press Release (earlier than anyone else on this tread):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=213997#post213997

dnyhof said:
Doesn't anyone here think that Honda simply put the current v-6 in the HSC so that they don't tip their hand to the competition?
It's quite possible. It's equally possible that they're still working on drivetrain development, and it's not ready yet.

dnyhof said:
Wasn't the 3.0 v-6 back in 1991 waaaay ahead hp-wise from what their current line up had (if any of those cars had the 3.0)? Does anyone know if that's true?
At the time that the 270 hp NSX went on sale in 1990, the next highest horsepower model in the Acura lineup (aside from the 252-hp automatic NSX) was the 200 hp Legend Coupe.

The 270 hp of the NSX was also considerably higher than most other competing models.

Or at least the same basic block. I would expect it to have a number of go-fast parts (i.e. titanium rods, more radical cams, freer flowing intake and exhaust, different heads, etc).

Taj said:
Most likely the HSC will share the same V6 with the new RL and MDX.

Not even close. Please remember that the VTEC technology was introduced in a production car thanks to the NSX. Every new gizmo and/or technology that's in Honda's R&D will be in this next Supercar. Having it share an engine with another model just doen't make sense. Same thing with the chassis. Expect the latest in Light Alloy and CB materials.

Jimbo said:
The new C6 Vette will have more than 400hp and that's the standard engine (which weighs about the same as the current NSX V6, btw). The new Z06 will have 500+ hp. Not bad for a pushrod engine that's the same weight as the 3.2L V6 in the NSX.

But I really do think Honda will up the ante for the next NSX. If they can chop 300 lbs and get close to 400hp...then all should be OK.

You're certainly right in bringing up that point Jimbo! (I'm surprised "Bulldozer" didn't jump on this one, and contrary to what he would assume my attitude is towards pushrods, that motor will be AWESOME...btw, "yo momma"-Bulldozer:) LOL) But that new pushrod that GM is going to put out is certainly going to ROCK the automotive world with its new heads/valvetrain design. We're talking about close to 500HP out of an N/A PRODUCTION, smallblock V-8 (not really what I think of a "smallblock" with all its innovations but lets just call it that) in the next ZO6's. We're talking about a ~$50K, 500HP, lightweight, mass-production sportscar here ladies and gentleman:eek::eek: (talk about GM raising the ante)

It's so unbelievable to think that just 10 years ago I was super happy with the 93' Corvette LT-1 I owned and modded that made JUST over 400BHP with a 6psi Carroll blower and borla exhuast system*** To think the C6ZO6 will start making nearly 100 MORE HP than the blown LT-1 I had out at roughly the same displacement in **N/A** and factory-stock form...is amazing. A lot of people misjudge but most modern pushrod motors are significantly lighter than their modular, more complex, quad cam counterparts* In short...if they do it for the C6Z06...you can be sure it'll be a very light-weight 500HP motor. Giving that car a HUGE advantage over its competition...powerplant-wise.

As for the next NSX : Based on the comments Mr. Fukui stated (and as I mentioned three times before in different posts) you can BE SURE it will recieve a ***100-per-liter*** minimum!!
.....With an expected "$90,000" price tag and Honda engineering lastest achievements at hand 100/per/liter would be a BASELINE. Hence, an all new 3.5 V6 can be expected to produce AT LEAST 350HP. (which wouldn't be too bad @ 3000lbs even) My fearless prediction would be just over 105HP per liter for the new Honda flagship*(Or roughly close to 370HP...at an expected curb weight of "around" 3000lbs even) Any lighter curb weight with the amenities they'll equipped the Acura with and the production costs would drive the MSRP even higher than 90K.(lighter=more $$$) Less than 100HP per liter (or anywhere near 300BHP) would be a marketing FLOP for a $90,000 sportscar...we know that, a 16 year-old knows that, my girlfriend (who still thinks my NSX is a C5 corvette knows that)lol, and Honda's multi-billion dollar international marketing department that has been following all the automotive trends for the last 30+ years certainly knows that...;)

Last edited:
Wow, I go away for the weekend and Honda announces the new NSX! I'll be staying home for the year in that case.

My wishes for the new one? Make it do to the competition what the last one did. To wit: "...advance the state of the art and radically alter the the commonly accepted perceptions of exotic, limited production sports cars."

Not even close. Please remember that the VTEC technology was introduced in a production car thanks to the NSX.

Yes, but the original NSX used the basic V6 block design from the Legend. Honda will NOT develop a completely brand new engine just for the next gen NSX. It will share as many components as possible with a production V6.

Bet the house on that.

-Jim

Not that it would ever happen...and I posted this idea before...

But it would be kind of neat seeing how GM and Honda have a engine-sharing deal in place...

If Honda could shoehorn the next generation Z06 500+ hp alum small block into the next generation NSX.

That would be kind of neat. :D

-Jim

Even with 400hp, will that be enough to keep it competitive with the current/upcoming plethora of performance cars? The NSX hallmark has always been better handling abilities, but in todays age will that even be enough to differentiate itself(ie: upcoming cars will handle so well)?

Probably not for the critics.

We'll probably never see a day like back in 1991 where there was such a realignment of the sports car world when the NSX came out.

There are so many good cars today and the competition is very fierce.

My 2 cents.....

nsxtasy said:

I seriously hope Honda retire the NSX moniker when the new car comes out. How many exotic sports car that you know of (besides Viper - if you consider it an exotic) recycles the same moniker after each successive generations? Lambo don't. Ferrari don't. And Honda shouldn't either with the NSX. To do so makes it no better than the mass-produced Corvette! Name it Futuristic Sportscar eXperimental (i.e. FSX) or whatever, that's fine with me, but please Honda, no more NSX!

Jimbo said:
Probably not for the critics.

We'll probably never see a day like back in 1991 where there was such a realignment of the sports car world when the NSX came out.

There are so many good cars today and the competition is very fierce.

Good point Jimbo. Another reason why the next Honda exotic sports car shouldn't carry the NSX moniker.

Jimbo said:
Yes, but the original NSX used the basic V6 block design from the Legend. Honda will NOT develop a completely brand new engine just for the next gen NSX. It will share as many components as possible with a production V6.

Bet the house on that.

-Jim

I've heard from other sources that Honda will, some time in the near future, produce full size pick-ups to compete against the Ford F150. If they ever do, they will most likely go the V-8 route. If such is true, The next Honda exotic sports car may even share the same V-8 block and most of the components with the Stump-Pullers.... :p

I seriously hope Honda retire the NSX moniker when the new car comes out.

If they use hybrid technology I would agree.

But if it's a worthy upgrade then it's important to keep the name.

One thing Honda has been criticized about is their lack of history. There's only one way to build a long history....and that's to keep a marque's name alive.

As long as the new car is in the same spirit and ups the ante then NSX it is!

Hybrid Notes:

I'm not convinced that the hybrid would be a complete waste, and these are my reasons:

- Most of the IMA weight today is batteries. It's obvious that a high performance car would be capacitor based for weight and duty cycle/charge time issues. We all know how much heat we put into our brakes coming into a turn- if some % of that could be dumped into an ultracap (ala the DualNote) then that's good IMHO.

- Even if the cap is discharged, the AWD system would work. The power would come from the gasoline engine as a parasitic load and sent to the front. I'd argue that for a performance car (ie a large rear power bias) that the two moderate sized motors up front instead of two more difs, a drive shaft, a big tunnel, etc. would in fact be lighter.

- Interesting active handling schemes could be developed that actually added power to the decoupled front wheels... instead of just pitching the car around with individual brake application (yaw control).

- You lose the starter motor and alternator.

Just some random thoughts. I still think they wont do it, but I think it will eventually be done by someone- hybrid power will have a place in performance cars.

-Ryan

Jimbo said:

Bet the house on that.

-Jim

What about the F20C? That was purpose built.

I'm not convinced that the hybrid would be a complete waste, and these are my reasons: - Most of the IMA weight today is batteries. It's obvious that a high performance car would be capacitor based for weight and duty cycle/charge time issues. We all know how much heat we put into our brakes coming into a turn- if some % of that could be dumped into an ultracap (ala the DualNote) then that's good IMHO.

Ryan,

It's not obvious to me.

I don't know of any present or prototyped working hybrid system that can channel any appreciable percentage of wasted braking energy back into the storage system.

Chrysler tried it some years ago, btw. See...

http://www.allpar.com/model/patriot.html

The problem is that with any current hybrid technology in use today there's no way to recapture braking energy in sufficient amounts to make up the difference.

In the end, if you drive a hybrid car aggressively (i.e. like on a racetrack) you'll quickly deplete the batteries. And then you're lugging the dead weight of the batteries, motor and controls.

Of course, Honda might come up with a dilithium crystal approach that rewrites the laws of physics....

-Jim

What about the F20C? That was purpose built.

Not really.

It shared major dimensions with the Prelude Si engine. And that means they could share expensive tooling setups.

Also...

They make a lot more S2000s than they do NSXs. ;)

Back