• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX is not selling? it's overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely take the NSX over the R8. R8 just looks old and tired.

I'd have to drive them both to decide. The nsx was pretty awesome to drive. The old r8 gt was impressive to ride in, but didn't drive it.

I'd take a 650s over either of them.

p.s. maybe if all the people who originally said they were gonna buy the NSX did, they'd sell better?

I sure agree with you on this point.
Early on there were lots of posters who came roaring on to the forums announcing they had signed up to buy an NSX, were first in line, were going to modify it to make it fast etc. etc.
Then most of them disappeared with a lot less noise than they made coming on.
It's usually best to make a big noise after you've taken delivery no?

I'd have to drive them both to decide. The nsx was pretty awesome to drive. The old r8 gt was impressive to ride in, but didn't drive it.

I'd take a 650s over either of them.
And you'll be spending most of your time in the shop. :p

McLaren... WORST... CAR... EVER!!

I would imagine the gap closes quickly when you adjust for average joe driving the car.

I check this section of the forum every once in a while and I am amazed at the amount of effort people who dislike the car put into trolling.

Do do they have anything worthwhile going on in their life?

I've loved the R8 since it came out and was super bummed when I saw the styling of the new one--- a step backward IMHO. Mechanically, the new R8V10+ seems awesome, and I'd love to own one, but the decision to go with the new NSX was pretty easy. Just more forward-looking in appearance and design. No regrets, and I saved a few bucks versus the Audi.

in terms of exterior looks, i'd say i agree. the new R8 doesn't look bad (and certainly looks much better in person), but i don't think it's spectacular either...

p.s. i prefer the look of the old R8 to either. saw one going down the road in Sydney yesterday, and it's presence is commanding.

And you'll be spending most of your time in the shop. :p

McLaren... WORST... CAR... EVER!!

To that effect, I chuckled at the liner notes in your sig file, even greying out the font accordingly.

I didn't want to promote the bashing.

My understanding is that the car will be close to $450K.

It will be interesting to see if there are bails outs amongst the 1000 selected buyers.

The production run will be 4 years so a lot of good stuff will come out prior to many folks getting their cars.

Shmee (the UK based blogger) noted that you have to pony up 50% 9 months prior to delivery.

Let's say the car is slightly better than the current suspects 675LT or 488.

We already have a bonkers price premium for it and the interior is nothing compared to what Ferrari is offering.

The P14 is supposed to smoke the 488 so the Ford GT will also soon be left behind.

I gotta believe something to replace the Aventador will be around within 4 years as well.

For collectors, it won't matter, but the latest and greatest crowd might fade away from the Ford GT.

Does it come with filet of caribou?😎

I am sure the car will sell out.

I am just saying 4 years is a long time to wait and you have to expect some bail outs.

Also, how many of those 8000 are actually financially able (i.e. some had to be kids doing it for a laugh).

I am just saying 4 years is a long time to wait and you have to expect some bail outs.

Also, how many of those 8000 are actually financially able (i.e. some had to be kids doing it for a laugh).

I don't see too many folks backing out. It's just too iconic and will be an instant collector car.

People are willing to wait what will more than likely be 4 years to get a Tesla Model 3, people will wait that long for something much cooler than that.

How long have you been waiting for your new NSX? I believe it has been a good 5 years since it was announced and then they evetuallly did that commercial with Leno and Seinfeld.

Chris H seems to like it a lot compared to the R8 apart from the interior is not the greatest and you cant beat the NA sound
http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...honda-nsx-vs-audi-r8-v10-vs-porsche-911-turbo

bloody hell the R8 is fast, but the Porsche 911 "it's not even the S model!" Turbo. geesus! :eek:

that car will sell out. i personally know several people who tried to get on the list and didn't, and they could buy the car with cash without blinking.

what are the numbers? producing 1000 which are already spoken for, and 8,000 more buyers on standby?

i don't see a problem here...

I saw my first gen 2 NSX earlier this week at a dealership in DFW. Black/black. Carbon fiber throughout. $199,000 sticker. Sales manager's third so far. Well....maybe it was the black/black combo. Maybe it's the ridiculous cost for options that took it to $199K. Maybe it's no drive it before you buy it. Maybe it's the "noisy" nose/absurd engine cover/overall powertrain and subsystems complexity/lack of ground-breaking technologies...it really doesn't matter. It's a Honda. I was disappointed. It has no "it" factor that's so hard to quantify. I looked it over and over again hoping to get that feeling I get from my NA1. Nope...nothing, emotionless. Maybe it was bad timing/bad marketing/no need to make this car again (but did....eventually...anyway). The new NSX has no draw like Senna, no recent F1 Championships with McLaren, no "in your face" challenge to Ferrari like the first had. Honda makes conservative, well designed/produced cars for the cost-minded masses. The new NSX may be fast and fun to drive, but there are far too many other offerings with the prestige and pedigree and most important to many... "it". At current MSRP, the new NSX lacks "it".

Check out some other colors if you get a chance. With all the black trim on the car, there are other colors that look sharper to me. I find black wheels on everything out there is getting old. I'd want the Y spokes in a nice shade of silver or light gray if I was getting one. Take a pass on most of the expensive carbon fiber, spec the steel rotors, and the price would come down substantially. Reality should soon be returning to dealers, so a discount off of MSRP should be available also.

[MENTION=27897]Dr. JL[/MENTION]: You are not alone. Approximately 99.99999% people on Earth will choose to *NOT* buy (or can't afford) an NSX this year.

hopefully it is a reasonable enough success so Honda are encouraged to bring out 'other' variants which opens it up to more potential buyers, a lighter and a bit more raw-er version would satisfy some of the detractors here of the current version including myself and a better interior to address some of the shortcomings that have previously been mentioned, it doesn't really have to be faster being lighter would make a huge difference.
lets face it they cant leave it untouched like the last model that doesn't work anymore there has to be updates or variants otherwise it will stop selling at some stage and all that investment in the factory will be wasted

In one of the interviews with Turd, he noted the need to keep up with the market offerings and that the longitudinal configuration of the Gen2 car allows that

i am more concerned that getting a targa or a hard top vert will be Undoable because there is no place to store a roof panel or to fold up a roof

i was told by my local exotic dealer that almost all of the Mclaren 650s customers opt for the convertible

Last edited:
I saw my first gen 2 NSX earlier this week at a dealership in DFW. Black/black. Carbon fiber throughout. $199,000 sticker. Sales manager's third so far. Well....maybe it was the black/black combo. Maybe it's the ridiculous cost for options that took it to $199K. Maybe it's no drive it before you buy it. Maybe it's the "noisy" nose/absurd engine cover/overall powertrain and subsystems complexity/lack of ground-breaking technologies...it really doesn't matter. It's a Honda. I was disappointed. It has no "it" factor that's so hard to quantify. I looked it over and over again hoping to get that feeling I get from my NA1. Nope...nothing, emotionless. Maybe it was bad timing/bad marketing/no need to make this car again (but did....eventually...anyway). The new NSX has no draw like Senna, no recent F1 Championships with McLaren, no "in your face" challenge to Ferrari like the first had. Honda makes conservative, well designed/produced cars for the cost-minded masses. The new NSX may be fast and fun to drive, but there are far too many other offerings with the prestige and pedigree and most important to many... "it". At current MSRP, the new NSX lacks "it".

no surprise here, but i fully agree with Doc JL.

@Dr. JL: You are not alone. Approximately 99.99999% people on Earth will choose to *NOT* buy an NSX this year.

hopefully it is a reasonable enough success so Honda are encouraged to bring out 'other' variants which opens it up to more potential buyers, a lighter and a bit more raw-er version would satisfy some of the detractors here of the current version including myself and a better interior to address some of the shortcomings that have previously been mentioned, it doesn't really have to be faster being lighter would make a huge difference.
lets face it they cant leave it untouched like the last model that doesn't work anymore there has to be updates or variants otherwise it will stop selling at some stage and all that investment in the factory will be wasted

so the next question, and an excellent point to bring up. the NSX is obviously not selling well at all, so what is next?

can't imagine Honda is making anything but a loss on these cars currently. will they decide to spend more money and develop a lighter/barer/faster car in the hopes that it will sell and bring some prestige? or will they simply do what they did the last time with the generation one NSX an leave it as it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back