• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner checking in!!!

Greetings fellow NSXprime members,

I can say I am a proud owner of a '92 berlina black with a 231,000 miles on it that was previously owned by a co-worker that he originally purchased it brand new. upon reading in this forum, I found out that the tranny is in the snap ring range but since it has 231k on it, I am guessing it is either it was fixed or never had an issue in the past years. Although I did not do a PPI when I bought it due to the fact that I got it in a very good price, I can say that the car is well maintained and was sent to the dealer for services infact I obtained 30 pages of service records from the dealer. The exterior/paint is about 9/10 and the interior is about 9/10. Now i have few questions that I hope some of the experts here would know...

1. How much do you think is the worth of the car ( I know that BBK and edmunds are not that reliable although when I went to the sites it shows that it is still worth atleast 12k).
2. It shows in one of the service records that the clutch was replaced in 2005. What kind of parts i need to look at in the records if in case they fix the snap ring issue?

Thank you

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. :smile:

1) The car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. No one knows what its true worth is. The only way to find out is to put it up for sale. Sure you will get a variety of opinions here.

2)There is a search button at the top of the page and if you put in snap ring you will find lots of info. Also plenty of info in the wiki. To correct the snap ring issue the transmission case would have been replaced.

Enjoy yourself

Greetings fellow NSXprime members,

I can say I am a proud owner of a '92 berlina black with a 231,000 miles on it that was previously owned by a co-worker that he originally purchased it brand new. upon reading in this forum, I found out that the tranny is in the snap ring range but since it has 231k on it, I am guessing it is either it was fixed or never had an issue in the past years. Although I did not do a PPI when I bought it due to the fact that I got it in a very good price, I can say that the car is well maintained and was sent to the dealer for services infact I obtained 30 pages of service records from the dealer. The exterior/paint is about 9/10 and the interior is about 9/10. Now i have few questions that I hope some of the experts here would know...

1. How much do you think is the worth of the car ( I know that BBK and edmunds are not that reliable although when I went to the sites it shows that it is still worth atleast 12k).
2. It shows in one of the service records that the clutch was replaced in 2005. What kind of parts i need to look at in the records if in case they fix the snap ring issue?

Thank you

First of all congratulations on buying an NSX - it's a wonderful car. Obviously built to last!

With 30 pages of service reports I would say it has been taken care of well. I'd surely look for the timing belt/water pump/coolant hose replacement intervals to see where you stand. The interval for the timing belt is a time and mileage type of an interval - the manual says replacement should occur at 90k miles or 6 years whichever comes first. Many have exceeded that but it is not recommended. Valve adjustments and just a host of things like engine gaskets, cam plugs, etc. The clutch is one too but it sounds like that was done fairly recently. I would surely have a good shop look over the car - just because you have a lot of reciepts with this car it's always " what have you done for me lately". So check things out and give us a little more detail because just giving you a huge list and blanket answer is pretty much a waste of time.

Did you talk with the shop foreman where the 30 pages of work was done? He would be a good place to start with questions as well. Also is there anything that is not working? There is just so much that would potentially go wrong with a car like this over that many miles it's hard to know what to tell you. Obviously by now the window thingys and AC has had to have had some major work as has the stereo system. Those are obvious trouble spots.

Good luck.

How do you know it is snap ring range? If you still have the serial on the trans case that is in failure range then I believe that means the case was not changed. If the case was not changed then it was not properly fixed.

You should see a 600 or so dollar trans case in your receipts. I had to do this to my black NSX :(

Last edited:
If you have 231k miles on that car there is no problem with the snap ring. Just because a tranny is in the range doesn't necessarily mean it has the problem. If you read how the snap ring issue affected the transmission case then you'll know why you may not have the problem. There is a lot on that and it is explained very well.

As to the price of a car like this - with no photos - it's hard to tell and even with them it's a hard thing to say. That's a lot of miles and it would depend on the 30 pages of maintenance history, the overall visual appearance, and so many variables but it sounds like you have a good candidate for it being one of the very good high mile cars being a one owner! You probably did fine - is it worth 12k - I'd say yes without having seen it with 30 pages of maintenance history! Is it worth more - possibly. I would actually guess it could very well be worth more than 12k. This is subjective - a car is worth what someone is willing to pay.

You mean KBB?

LOL, Yes I meant KBB. Kinda tired last night but thank you for pointing that out.

With 30 pages of service reports I would say it has been taken care of well. I'd surely look for the timing belt/water pump/coolant hose replacement intervals to see where you stand. The interval for the timing belt is a time and mileage type of an interval - the manual says replacement should occur at 90k miles or 6 years whichever comes first. Many have exceeded that but it is not recommended.

Tbromley,

Thank you for the info. In the service record it shows that the timing belt, water pump, hoses and other belt were replace in 2006 and when it has 190k miles so from my understanding with the recomendation 90k/6years or with some that I have read is 109k/7 years, I am still good.

Did you talk with the shop foreman where the 30 pages of work was done? He would be a good place to start with questions as well. Also is there anything that is not working? There is just so much that would potentially go wrong with a car like this over that many miles it's hard to know what to tell you. Obviously by now the window thingys and AC has had to have had some major work as has the stereo system. Those are obvious trouble spots.

Unfortunately, the records that I have received only from 2001-present. I tried calling the dealer but they only keep records for 10 years ( I don't know if this is true) and since I am not the original owner, there is limited in the info they provided. The only problem that I see so far is the speakers are not working and from the research I did it might be the amplifiers on each speaker. The AC, windows, switches are all in good working condition. I own different japanese cars and I can say they will last for so many years but I also know that it is still depends on how it was maintained.

It's a great to see another high mileage NSX in great working condition! Post pics if you can. We all want to see it!

Like tbromley said, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. With all of the maintenance done it could be worth more than you think. People pay for the piece of mind.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1331166" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>How do you know it is snap ring range? If you still have the serial on the trans case that is in failure range then I believe that means the case was not changed. If the case was not changed then it was not properly fixed.

You should see a 600 or so dollar trans case in your receipts. I had to do this to my black NSX :frown: </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have checked my tranny serial number. The service records does not show any trans case but I will try to check it again. I might have missed it.

If you have 231k miles on that car there is no problem with the snap ring. Just because a tranny is in the range doesn't necessarily mean it has the problem. If you read how the snap ring issue affected the transmission case then you'll know why you may not have the problem. There is a lot on that and it is explained very well.

As to the price of a car like this - with no photos - it's hard to tell and even with them it's a hard thing to say. That's a lot of miles and it would depend on the 30 pages of maintenance history, the overall visual appearance, and so many variables but it sounds like you have a good candidate for it being one of the very good high mile cars being a one owner! You probably did fine - is it worth 12k - I'd say yes without having seen it with 30 pages of maintenance history! Is it worth more - possibly. I would actually guess it could very well be worth more than 12k. This is subjective - a car is worth what someone is willing to pay.

That's what I thought too about the snap ring issue and from the articles I have read in this forum and other forums that snap ring range will NOT affect all in that range. The only reason I brought it up is just because I want to know if there is a way to know if it was fixed previously. Unfortunately the previous owner does not remember the details of repair that was done in the car.

It's a great to see another high mileage NSX in great working condition! Post pics if you can. We all want to see it!

Like tbromley said, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. With all of the maintenance done it could be worth more than you think. People pay for the piece of mind.

Hi BlackWindEXE,

I am planning to take pics today and would love to share it with all of you guys.

I'm working mile 224,000 on a transmission that's in the snap-ring range (also on a BB '92 :) ). If the case still has a serial number in that range, then it hasn't been fixed from what I've read.

However, as others have stated, if nothing has happened by this point, it's not going to. If the belts are new, all of the coolant hoses are new (I had a hose fail before I had a chance to have them all replaced, so that is a big item), no leaks, and the ABS pump still works, then you are pretty well set mechanically.

::edit:: See if you can find a reciept for the harmonic balancer (aka the crank pulley) being replaced. If not DO IT, and/or get a balancer shield

See this thread for what I'm talking about:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75746&highlight=balancer+shield

Last edited:
I finally got the chance to take pictures of my NSX. I was out of the country for a month and had the chance to get a set of used Volks 18x8 and 18x9.5 with +45 on both front and rear. It has 231k miles on it and still runs strong. I will take better pictures in the future.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

I agree - I can't believe it - have they been replaced? That is awesome if they haven't. I would say you did fine! Drive on my man! Awesome testimony to these cars isn't it guys!

I still have in contact with the original owner at work atleast every week and and asked him too about the seats. Unfortunately he does not remember replacing them or paid the dealer for a replacement seats( I know, who would forget about something like this, I guess it will be him). If ever they were replaced I am confident the it was replaced by the dealer. BTW, Thanks to tbromley for assisting me with the size of tires I need to get. At first I was hesitant to get 18 all around but I got a pretty good deal on these volks and IMO they did really look good. I will still shop for 18/19 as a second shoes in the future.

Back