• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner - 1991 Formula Red/Black in Southeast

Hello Prime,

I am finally joining the NSX club after a year-long search for “the one”. I am the proud owner of a very clean 87,000ish mile Formula Red ’91, VIN JH4NA1156MT000896. The original owner from new was in WI (delivered 12/31/90!), and the 2nd owner had only had the car about 6 months in Cincinnati before he contacted me saying he was getting ready to sell. I’m proof that posting a WTB thread works! Also, I want to give a special thank you to Brian and the crew at Source1, and my former coworker Yinzer for all his time and advice.

I lucked out that Source1 was able to perform a PPI and give it a mostly clean bill of health. Although it’s a well-cared for example, she needed a little bit of work out of the gate. The ABS system was shot and needed to be bypassed at the very least. That, a little bit of other minor work, and a somewhat overdue TB/WP service was taken care of by the capable crew at Source1. She’s all stock save for a short fixed antenna, and now the stainless brake lines.

I planned to take care of the required maintenance items and then get started on the slippery slope of modifying the car into my mountain machine. I will probably start a build thread once I start to work on the car in earnest, even though I’m confident that I won’t be doing anything that hasn’t been done a million times already. I just want to document the build on this one since I didn’t do that on my last car.

Speaking of other cars, she will be sharing her bunk space with my other longtime toy and project, an RB25-swapped ’95 Nissan 240sx that I built with my dad while I was in college. Hopefully they’ll get along.

If anyone finds themselves in East Tennessee and wants to take a trip into the mountains near The Dragon, Cherohala, and other great roads in the area, I’m always game (assuming I'm home, that is). I’m excited to continue meeting more of the great people on here and get deeper into the NSX world!

Now for the pictures!

Picking her up from Source1:
20150523_115951_zpsrguekxi0.jpg

The bridge from Cincinnati to Newport, KY:
20150523_124257_zpsczfbf4i2.jpg

The view from the chase car:
IMG_20150523_135521_267_zpsap1hn3jl.jpg

Nestled up with her new bunkmates:
20150523_193821_zpst4qbzxxc.jpg

Attachments

• 20150523_115951.jpg
    20150523_115951.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150523_124257.jpg
    20150523_124257.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 20150523_193821.jpg
    20150523_193821.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20150523_135521_267.jpg
    IMG_20150523_135521_267.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Congrats! bummer that cincy lost another car though. Enjoy!!! looks great. A friend of mine has a cabin near the dragon and we are planning a trip in October!

Last edited:
Congrats! bummer that cincy lost another car though. Enjoy!!! looks great.

Thanks! I definitely plan to enjoy every mile.

A friend of mine has a cabin near the dragon and we are planning a trip in October!

That's awesome! Definitely let me know via PM when/if you all come down. I'm getting married and going on my honeymoon in mid-October though, so we may be otherwise occupied. :biggrin:

Congratulations! Nice clean car! I am new too the NSX world and believe me, you won't be disappointed!

Welcome!

I loved that first drive home in mine last year. As your picture attests, there is nothing like the view out of the windshield of the NSX.

Thanks!

I loved that first drive home in mine last year. As your picture attests, there is nothing like the view out of the windshield of the NSX.

It was a mix of nerves and excitement for sure. I am quite enamored with that view. I can't wait to log some night hours in that seat as well.

Welcome to the forum. I'm from Knoxville as well and sold my last NSX to a Primer here in 2009, then I moved away with the military, but Tennessee will always be home. There are several owners in the Knoxville area that I still keep in touch with, but they don't come out as often as they used to. I just purchased a Honda in Japan, so maybe we can have a get-together when I make it back after this tour. Good to see Brian has another satisfied customer, and I'm looking forward to the progress.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I'm from Knoxville as well and sold my last NSX to a Primer here in 2009, then I moved away with the military, but Tennessee will always be home. There are several owners in the Knoxville area that I still keep in touch with, but they don't come out as often as they used to. I just purchased a Honda in Japan, so maybe we can have a get-together when I make it back after this tour. Good to see Brian has another satisfied customer, and I'm looking forward to the progress.

Thanks! Congratulations on your purchase as well. Black will always be beautiful, but I had to introduce a little color into my stable since my S14 is black.

I think I spoke to your brother a little bit early in my search! Haha. He put me in touch with the owner of a high-miles BB in town who I spoke with for a while, also early in my search. Definitely look me up when you get back stateside. I miss the regular get togethers of yesteryear back in FL when the S-chassis crowd was a little older and cared more for a quality build than the current trends hit.

Thank you for your service.

Thanks! Congratulations on your purchase as well. Black will always be beautiful, but I had to introduce a little color into my stable since my S14 is black.

I think I spoke to your brother a little bit early in my search! Haha. He put me in touch with the owner of a high-miles BB in town who I spoke with for a while, also early in my search. Definitely look me up when you get back stateside. I miss the regular get togethers of yesteryear back in FL when the S-chassis crowd was a little older and cared more for a quality build than the current trends hit.

Thank you for your service.

Ah cool. Yeah I think you're talking about Richard, "R13" on here. He purchased his car about a month after I did back in 2008 and has had it ever since. Put a lot of good seat time in it too as he tracks it fairly regularly. Impressive with the miles.

I just returned to Japan after taking a bit of leave back in Knoxville, but I'll be back in September for a week (and the Tennessee Oklahoma game). I've been mostly beating around in my old white 240Z fixing this and that, and Jonathan will soon be driving my (now his) GT-R, but it will be nice to get the NSX back to the beautiful East Tennessee area. I will look you up when I get back.

Ah cool. Yeah I think you're talking about Richard, "R13" on here. He purchased his car about a month after I did back in 2008 and has had it ever since. Put a lot of good seat time in it too as he tracks it fairly regularly. Impressive with the miles.

That's him. Haven't heard from him in a good while though. He provided alot of solid inital learning knowledge for me, which I am very thankful for.

I just returned to Japan after taking a bit of leave back in Knoxville, but I'll be back in September for a week (and the Tennessee Oklahoma game). I've been mostly beating around in my old white 240Z fixing this and that, and Jonathan will soon be driving my (now his) GT-R, but it will be nice to get the NSX back to the beautiful East Tennessee area. I will look you up when I get back.

Sounds like a plan. I'll definitely be making a couple trips home in September. I work down in Augusta most of the time except a couple weekends every month. My fiancee, our home, and my cars are back in Knoxville. So I totally understand wanting to get back.

Nice! A resurgence in the Knoxville community would be great.

Oh also, did you get a titanium key for your NSX? If not, do you want a brand new blank to have your own cut?

The dealer originally told me the car didn't come with the original titanium key, so I bought a blank to have cut, but they found it!

I totally agree. Not being home much, I have found it tough to make ties with (or even find) the guys in the area who actually have quality cars and go out and drive them. I would definitely like to integrate into a solid community.

I did thankfully, but mine is a little nicked up and spotted. I would be interested in picking up another to have a fresh one cut. Just let me know how much you're wanting for it.

Big congrats, it was worth the time, effort, and wait, wasn't it?? Love this picture, was this from the first day, or after the work was done? Always glad to hear stories from another happy new owner, those never get old!

attachment.php

Grats! I'm glad you finally found your car, 'looks like a winner! Sorry we could never connect between my personal travel and your work travel, but I'm sure we'll run into each other (figuratively only) at some event or another. I'm out in CO for a while (253,000 on the clock after the 20 hour trip), but should be back in Knoxville periodically.

Enjoy!

Big congrats, it was worth the time, effort, and wait, wasn't it?? Love this picture, was this from the first day, or after the work was done? Always glad to hear stories from another happy new owner, those never get old!

Haha. Yeah, I would definitely say it was worth my time and effort. Patience is a virtue, but it's never been an easy one for me.

That picture is from the day I picked it up from Source1 the Saturday before Memorial Day. That's the bridge over the Ohio river between Cincy and Newport, KY.

Grats! I'm glad you finally found your car, 'looks like a winner! Sorry we could never connect between my personal travel and your work travel, but I'm sure we'll run into each other (figuratively only) at some event or another. I'm out in CO for a while (253,000 on the clock after the 20 hour trip), but should be back in Knoxville periodically.

Enjoy!

Thanks Richard! I am too. I totally understand, since I too have switched jobs and moved to yet another state (although still only temporarily). Definitely keep in touch and let me know whenever you head into Knoxville just in case I happen to be home.

Enjoy your time in CO!

Awesome! Im over the hill in Asheville, if you make it over here let me know! You dont happen to work near Rae's Creek in Augusta?

Will do. I really only pass though there when I make my trips home from work and back, but I wouldn't mind running the NSX through the I40 tunnels. Haha.

I do not. I work south of Augusta proper on the Plant Vogtle construction project.

Congrats and welcome. She's a real beauty. Couldn't help but also notice that Cashmere Silver Metallic gen 2 Acura Legend in the background of the first pic too...

John

Glad to hear you had a good trip home.
I know Brian/Source1 made sure you had a safe drive back.
How was traffic during the holiday weekend?

Congrats on the purchase again!
She is a beauty.

And do let me know if you ever bring the car down to Augusta, I will drive up to hang out.

How was traffic during the holiday weekend?

Actually it wasn't too bad since it was in the middle of the day. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the trip went.

Congrats on the purchase again! She is a beauty.

Thanks!

And do let me know if you ever bring the car down to Augusta, I will drive up to hang out.

I definitely will. I'm hopeful I can get it down here at some point to do a little driving down this way, but the next couple months look pretty busy. Haha.

Back