• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New PB at Putnam Park this weekend.

Ran with KYPCA this weekend at Putnam Park. First time at my home track with my new ARP Wing, Vented hood, ducting, and front splitter undertray with newly designed diffuser ramps for the wheels.

Results - new personal best lap of 1:19.1. I ran several laps in the low 1:19s on Friday. My previous PB was 1:19.7 and that was only once - I usually run in the low 1:21-1:22s with the occasional 1:20. All the aero mods don't work unless you use them to retrain your brain for the increased grip. What I mean by that is that I have perhaps 1000s of laps on this track and in order to increase my entry speeds I had to retrain myself.
I had been using my gas to help balance the car and keep the weight in the rear. Now with the wing, I can increase my turn in speeds and go neutral or trail brake to the apex and then get on the power at the apex or shortly there after. The hard part was retraining my brain to not brake where I was tapping the brakes.

On turn 2, it was simple a matter of saying to myself, "don't brake, don't brake, don't brake" as I approached the turn in spot. +4 mph at the apex.

On turn 4, the "don't brake" thing didn't work as I keep just tapping the brake before turn in. Looking at my dataloger, it's amazing how much speed you lose even when you barely tap the brake. So instead of going WOT all the way through 3, I would lift way early, coast and then turn into 4 without touching the brake. Then next lap I would hold the WOT a little more and coast less and still not touch the brake. I kept repeating it until I was WOT all the way through 3 and then a simple lift and then turn in. +6 mph at the apex.

On other spots I made a conscious effort to brake a little early and A LOT less and picked up a few mph here and there. And since my entry speeds were picking up, I tried to also pick up the gas as soon as I hit the apex.

Momentum, momentum, momentum!!! Looking at the datalogger, it's amazing how much faster you go if you lift early and coast vs even slightly tapping the brake.

I instruct for 5 different PCA clubs in the Midwest and 95% are good guys, I finally had a 997S guy (intermediate student) ask me in a snobbish tone "Your car is Japanese, why do you always run with all the Porsche clubs?" My response, "Well, because I guess I like passing Porsches."

Last edited:
congrats on the PB! always exciting.

In my 5 years of racing motorcycles I've always had to battle with going out of my comfort zone when I made changes in suspension, gearing or power. Its tough but once you start its so much fun to see the times drop!

It all sunk in one afternoon out at Topeka, an expert racer and I were talking about how I was stuck in the 46's (pre-repave, old configuration) and he suggested tricking myself by simply taking a tooth or 2 out of the rear sprocket. His theory was RPM's wouldnt change but speed would and it would force me into riding faster... I dropped 2 seconds over the next few practice sessions!

racing lightweight class really emphasized exactly what your are saying about momentum. With <100hp on tap I have to keep the MPH up, cant make it back up on the gas.

lol, I guess what I am trying to say is I COMPLETELY understand what youre saying there... and again, Congrats!

timmay

I think my instructor put it best. While I was riding with him in his BMW at VIR we caught a pack of cars and when we finally made it around the cause of the back up he says "how come at the head of every long line is a Porsche ?"

If I ever make it to a Mid Ohio event and you are there I would enjoy have you ride as my instructor for a session or 2

I think my instructor put it best. While I was riding with him in his BMW at VIR we caught a pack of cars and when we finally made it around the cause of the back up he says "how come at the head of every long line is a Porsche ?"

If I ever make it to a Mid Ohio event and you are there I would enjoy have you ride as my instructor for a session or 2

haha, i'll have to remember that one

Posted by CL65Captain:

I instruct for 5 different PCA clubs in the Midwest and 95% are good guys, I finally had a 997S guy (intermediate student) ask me in a snobbish tone "Your car is Japanese, why do you always run with all the Porsche clubs?" My response, "Well, because I guess I like passing Porsches."

You're answer is just "classic" and funny as hell. Never had the chance to come back with a retort like that but then again some people would say I've never passed a Porsche. :tongue: Not true however but I digress. Great read and I'm glad your efforts at downforce have proved fruitful. Keep it coming.

Al
P.S. How do you get pass registration looking like your Avatar? :biggrin::wink:

Last edited:
Back