• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New source for inexpensive NSX parts (I got 2002 headlights for $900)

Okay guys, thought I would share this with the board and also answer some inquiries from those who asked me to share if I found a cheap place to get the 2002 headlights. Sorry, I wanted to wait until this auction was over because I didn't want any of you clowns bidding against me. :biggrin: Try checking out yahoo auctions= auctions.yahoo.co.jp I think yahoo auctions is the most popular site in Japan (more so than Ebay). Unfortunately, it is a pain in the ass to register for yahoo Japan (I literallly tried for 3 weeks using babel fish to translate but I could never ocmplete my registration). So I found this company called Ok!Shon (www.okshon.com) that will bid for you, take Paypal payments in US dollars, arrange shipping in Japan and to you in the United States. They charge a premium for tehir service but I think the savings may be worth it. There's a lot of stuff on the Japanese Yahoo auctions that we just don't get over here. It's worth checking out.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k31143823

How much did you have to pay for their fees, shipping, etc? BTW, arent the Japanese headlights different from the US, in terms of the beam pattern?

808NA1 said:
How much did you have to pay for their fees, shipping, etc? BTW, arent the Japanese headlights different from the US, in terms of the beam pattern?

They say on their website that it is $80 for shipping & fees but I have to go figure it out when the invoice is sent. As for the beam pattern, that is another thing I have to sort out. As Japan drives on the Left Hand Side of the road, the beams are angled slightly to the left, so you don't blind oncoming traffic. I *believe* (from looking at other lights) that you can modify the lights so that it shines slightly towards the right, so that should take care of it. For the price savings (the set I had includes the HID's) I think it is worth a shot.

Well, $80 in total fees including shipping is definitely worth it, considering the great price you got the headlights for. Just trying to make sure, before I try and buy something, thinking im getting a good deal, only to find out the shipping and fees kills me. Thanks :smile:

Well, good luck to you. I hope everything works out. Ive got my eye on those Aragosta coilovers and that Fujitsubo exhaust.

Hey, Cool. Nice post!

How do you get a total (shipping / transaction fees) estimate before you bid? I am thinking this might be a good place to snag some rims.

My wife is Japanese and my father in law lives in Toyko...and he's a business owner, so shipping should be easy...so I'm going to get all over this. Hmmm...maybe I'll set up a little JDM NSX part shop on the side. lol

BTW- When ordering headlights and stuff from Japan, be careful of the DOT regs....if the customs guys don't like what they see, they can destroy the item.
(I'm not sure if the JDM headlights have the same DOT stamps as the US ones)

scorp965 said:
Do you have to xfer the cash to them prior to placing a bid? I signed up to bid on some taillights, but get a message telling me my 'deposit' is too low?

Yeah you have to place a deposit through paypal before you can bid. The deposit is to cover the fees in case you flake, and they have to cover the fees.

So it isn't the total amount, but rather a percentage to cover the fees? I couldn't find a clear answer for this on their site, and nobody there responded to my email from last night - let's say I want to buy an item that is 10000 Yen, do I need to transfer the equivilent of 10000 yen to my account, via paypal, or is is 10% of 10000 yen, etc.?

scorp965 said:
So it isn't the total amount, but rather a percentage to cover the fees? I couldn't find a clear answer for this on their site, and nobody there responded to my email from last night - let's say I want to buy an item that is 10000 Yen, do I need to transfer the equivilent of 10000 yen to my account, via paypal, or is is 10% of 10000 yen, etc.?

The way it works is that you can bid up to 5 times your deposit. Afterwards, once you have paid for the item you won, you can request the deposit be refunded. For example on my headlights, I placed $250 on deposit. I could then bid up to $1,250 translated into Japanese yen. On your example to bid 10000 yen, you deposit 2000 yen, and you can bid on an item up to 10000 yen. Once you win the item, you pay the auction amount plus fees. Then you can get your 2000 yen deposit back by requesting a refund.

Thanks for the info!

How do you know how much shipping/fees/duties(if any?) will be in addition to the bid price?

Chris@SoS said:
Just FYI: The Japanese RHD lights should not be used on a US car. The beam pattern is extremely blinding to oncoming traffic even with them adjusted all the way down.

take care,
-- Chris
Thats exactly the first thing that crossed my mind Chris.

We have alot of guys importing Skylines from the UK and Japan here in Sweden and the headlights has to be modified to make the cars street legal.

Anyway you should all be aware its not just plug and play(drive) with japanese headlights.
It will make your car a traffic hazard unless you can convert them to LHD standards.
Im not sure how easy it it so modify modern HID's?

inexpensive just got real expensive, lol...

RacingHeart said:
... unless you can convert them to LHD standards.
Im not sure how easy it it so modify modern HID's?

This is just a guess, but swapping the projectors, shrouds, bezels, bulbs/ballasts from right to left & left to right would be possible? Of-course, cracking open the headlights and taking apart the internals ('guts') should be left to the skilled and experienced (ie. ClearCorners guy w/ the attitude, lol... he did a fab' job on RyanITV's NSX-R project; there's also litoG).

I'm not sure if it's the projector which causes the different angle of displayed light (RHD vs. LHD vehicles), or if it's the actual headlight housing which cradles the projector that angles the beams.

Re: inexpensive just got real expensive, lol...

I have been reliably informed that to drive in main land Europe that no modification has to be made to my RHD NSX lights, certainly had no problems over there ?? So putting RHD lights on a LHD car "should" have the same effect ??

White94 said:
Hey, Cool. Nice post!

How do you get a total (shipping / transaction fees) estimate before you bid? I am thinking this might be a good place to snag some rims.

Be careful. They do not allow oversize or heavy items. If it doesn't fit in standard size postage they will return the item to the seller and charge you the fees!

simonprelude said:
I have been reliably informed that to drive in main land Europe that no modification has to be made to my RHD NSX lights, certainly had no problems over there ?? So putting RHD lights on a LHD car "should" have the same effect ??

That is a different situation... You are taking a RHD vehicle into mainland Europe! They do not expect you to modify your vehicle when you are just visiting.

In America, RHD headlights WILL shine directly into the eyes of oncomming traffic. Expect people to flash you constantly and possibly get pulled over frequently by the police.

You may get them for a cheaper price but they will endanger your life if used in a LHD country!

Not good then.

They said the beam deflectors were not needed though as it is a flat beam ??

Oh well, have fun trying to amend.

The headlight beam is setup on all cars for the low beam to be flat from about the center across the oncoming traffic side and to slope upwards at about a 20 degree angle towards the curb side. When you use headlights for RHD in a LHD car or vice versa the beam will slope up towards the oncoming traffic and will be directly in the eyes of the traffic and illegal.

My last performance car was an R32 GTR I brought to Canada myself. I still have some good connections if anyone really wants jdm parts. The guy I deal with is a Canadian living in Tokyo (went to auto salon with him in Jan and can vouch for him) who can communicate directly with you in English. He ships super fast too, faster than stuff I buy here on Prime ;) If anyone is interested you can PM me or I can post here if there's enough interest. Mainly due to his busy schedule he willl likely rather buy parts from a shop vs bidding since its too time consuming to sit in front of a PC on the deadline time. I mentioned to him that he should branch into NSX parts as the clientele is more upscale and lessof a hassle than some of the GTR kids out there :)

Regarding headlights, my rhd headlights with Philips HID almost killed all oncoming traffic! Please be aware of this fact. The are aimed towards oncoming traffic.

So how easy was it to set up the transaction, there are a few NSX models on there I wouldn't mind but navigating the website seems a nighmare.

Back