• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New to prime

Hello, this is my first post. I drove to PA this weekend to test drive a 91 black on black NSX. I love the look of the car!
My issue is I'm a bigger guy, round and tall lol. So at 6'3" and the seat all the way back my head was jammed into the roof. So I moved the seat up, and laid the back back and could just rub my hair on the roof. So then I go to push the clutch and my leg had to angle around the steering wheel. Just a very uncomfortable situation, especially when this is the car I've always wanted....

So I didn't even drive the car and left. Afterwards I've been thinking with a auto I can eliminate the clutch leg movement.
So hear comes the question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to.
If I get rid of the power seat bracket, can I gain a few inches of head room? And if do is there an kit to do this or something I would need to fab?

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and any other resolutions.

Thanks in advance for any info on this situation.
BrianB

Not sure if it helps Brian but my NSX has a sculped head liner where some have a flat headliner. This gains best part of an inch of headroom. I am 6 feet 1 inch and have owned a manual and now own an auto. I have changed my steering wheel to a Momo Tuner which comes in either 350 or 320mm and was original equipment on the NSX R. The standrad NSX wheel is 360mm I understand so another small saving to be had. Also you can adjust height and rake on the NSX so I don't know if you tried this when you sat in the car but it should accomodate you.
If all this fails you could buy an after market seat which may lower your seating position or play around with the original, it shouldn't stop you owning an NSX.
Good Luck

This is probably a obvious question... Have u adjusted the tilt and slide of the steering colulm? Also I'm sure if u swap out the factory seats for an aftermarket bucket seat with some low down rails it should be fine... Good luck..

ScottG
This one did have the headliner that went up. Height and rake? Is that on the seat? All I noticed was the front and back and seat back switches. It was a personally owned car do no salesman walking me thru the car. The owner said that was the only adjustments. But if there was a seat up/down option I didn't check to see where it was set. The owner was like 5'5" tall
I probably lose a inch or two from my physical size also. But I've had several 2 door cars and fit fine. But none that were 2 seaters. How does the auto compare to the stick? Acceleration and solid shifting wise?

S2kvee
I didn't adjust the wheel, it was up about as high as I would want. If it was auto I would of been ok, but still would rather have more head room. And I've had auto and stick cars and don't mind looking into a auto. But being a sports car I know stick is preferred.

I have the same problem as you. I'm 6'5" and 40" waist. I sat in a 02+ Targa with the top off and if I wasn't slouched just right ... my head would hit the B pillar and roof brace. I also sat in a early model coupe which had the sculpted headliner. I might be slightly taller than you and my head was brushing the headliner. Either way, getting a thinner seat cushion is a commonly known +2 more inches of head room. Although for my 40" waist ... the lower I sink into the seat, the more uncomfortable it becomes. If I could shrink down to a 36" waist MAX and install a thin seat cushion I think it's doable.

Last edited:
ScottG
This one did have the headliner that went up. Height and rake? Is that on the seat? All I noticed was the front and back and seat back switches. It was a personally owned car do no salesman walking me thru the car. The owner said that was the only adjustments. But if there was a seat up/down option I didn't check to see where it was set. The owner was like 5'5" tall
I probably lose a inch or two from my physical size also. But I've had several 2 door cars and fit fine. But none that were 2 seaters. How does the auto compare to the stick? Acceleration and solid shifting wise?

S2kvee
I didn't adjust the wheel, it was up about as high as I would want. If it was auto I would of been ok, but still would rather have more head room. And I've had auto and stick cars and don't mind looking into a auto. But being a sports car I know stick is preferred.

Hi Brian,

The steering wheel rake and height is what I was refering to not the seat I am afraid. You should try another NSX and play with this as it may help.
On the subject of manual and auto I loved the 3.2 targa I owned but needed to release some money to do some improvements to my house so I traded down. The auto represents great value for many as they are less desirable but I still love the car. It is a little slower in accelerating but still plenty quick enough but I just stick it in drive and leave it there as manually changing up and down is a bit clunky.
If auto is your best option because of your height go for it as you will still own an NSX and thats something special manual or auto

Nobby,
I just checked out the seat cushion from Dali. That seems like a great solution. Does anyone have this part installed? I wonder if there's still enough padding there to be comfortable.

Colslaw87,
Yeah I'm 6'3" with a 42" Waist, 40" inseam. And let's say heavier than I'd like in the top half, which is do to a back injury/surgery that had me inactive for over a year.
This is another reason that being somewhat comfortable had to be important.

scottg,
The auto trans is a almost must have for me I think for comfort wise now that I've been in a stick. But the seat cushion is interesting and would help either way. I had the first turbo Rsx in the US on the cover of turbo mag back in sept 02 and it was auto. But the tranny broke and had to do a level ten upgrade to hold the power. But I figure the nsx auto had to of been engineered to handle more power and torque... I'd hope.

So far everyone has been very helpful thanks!!
I just wish I had thought to ask about this before I went to test drive that one. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive to get there and I thought I had all the info I needed. The closest auto for sale from me is in Ohio. So from Delaware that's about 7-9 hours.

Back