• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

new venues for USGP?

Not sure why my original thread starter was hijacked, but it involved the remote possibility of the Indy USGP leaving the F1 calendar and some of the other possible tracks that may or may not replace it.

Some of the possibilities that have been brought up are back to Long Beach or Watkins Glen. Any thoughts on this?

svalleynsx said:
Not sure why my original thread starter was hijacked
Perhaps yours was one of the four (!) different topics that were about the USGP fiasco, that were merged into a single topic (as they should be).

svalleynsx said:
Some of the possibilities that have been brought up are back to Long Beach or Watkins Glen. Any thoughts on this?
After last weekend, I doubt that anybody else would want it.

Yes, I see the merge into the "Michelin boycott" thread now.

I disagree about nobody wanted it after Sunday's fiasco though. People tend to have short memories. Look at the baseball strikes and how people came back to the ballparks after they brought in inter-league play. Now hockey may be a different story :wink:

actually, i heard during last years season that they intended to add ANOTHER usgp (florida), so it'll be 3 races in america.

i think it'll be lucrative for other cities to host. i spoke with a few foriegners when i attended the usgp last year, and they said it was much cheaper to fly to usa and book hotel/tickets etc etc.. then it would be to attend a grand prix in europe. and i beleive them.

Last I heard the FIA was interested in adding another GP in America but, after the '05 USGP, that idea was seriously under question. The sites were Las Vegas, Long Beach, or Watkin Glens. Heard nothing about South Florida. I think another East Coast (West Coast guys think anything east of Colorado is "East Coast") event is highly unlikely. I wouldn't bet on that though!

Right now F1 does have a serious black eye here in the states and don't think any track is too anxious to jump on the band wagon.
It is going to take a long time, if ever, for them to be able to recover what they did. It is always going to be in the backs of people minds that until that green flag of the race starts, anything can/will happen.
I howeve will remain a fan of the sport but don't think I would be willing to drive up there for the chance to see those guys.
Now if it comes to FL.......

I think they should bring it to laguna seca.

Re: new venues for USGP? No problem

“Right now F1 does have a serious black eye”

Agreed. This killed their immediate short-term growth potential against the NASCRAP juggernaut.

“don't think any track is too anxious to jump on the band wagon……. It is going to take a long time, if ever, for them to be able to recover……. ”

I would have to disagree if we’re talking about just maintaining the status quo as the sport has done in the states for a very long time. I say this mainly because there are virtually no casual F-1 fans. Casual fans of anything, whether it’s NASCAR or (insert reality TV or whatever’s lame but popular) just want to be part of the crowd. Casual fans at this race probably didn’t spend a lot of time and energy to get there, and definitely won’t be back. For the future casual fans, their memories only go back to last week (the kidnapping or shark attack story de jour). So, they won’t spend a lot of time wringing their hands about F-1 history or even how good a race the next one will be. They’ll be there for the spectacle of it all.

But F-1 and all of open wheel racing is almost a cult and one event is not going to change their fans’ love of the sport. For the hardcore fans who were there, that race was a huge disappointment at the moment, but they will have a story to last a lifetime. And precisely because that was such an historic event, they will take center stage and describe “the debacle” over and over again to whoever will listen. They will be back because they know that whatever happens, an F-1 race is special, even when it doesn’t happen. And the track owners know it. They’ll clamor for an F-1 race.

vtecNSX1 said:
I think they should bring it to laguna seca.

"Sweet" thought, but one that will probably never happen. Keep in mind, Seca is a "counter-clockwise" run track, whereas all the F1 racetracks run "clockwise", including Indianapolis. Now if FIA was willing to compromise, and we all know how flexible they are(NOT), and allowed it to be run in it's normal configuration, then who knows?

It's certainly a gorgeous racetrack. Good weather, world class garage and press areas, great history(Can-Am, CART, ALMS, Monterey Historics). Ferrari was the theme car for last year's Historic races and it was just an awesome sight seeing the factory test driver coming down the "corkscrew" in M. Schumacher's 2003 winning F1 car. :smile: :cool:

Re: Counter clockwise is not normal?

all the F1 racetracks run "clockwise", including Indianapolis. Now if FIA was willing to compromise

Tell me more about this FIA commitment to clockwise. You're suggesting it's not just coincidence?

Damn, does that mean they'll never come to beautiful Thunderhill and the wild town of Willows? :biggrin:

svalleynsx said:
It's certainly a gorgeous racetrack. Good weather, world class garage and press areas, great history(Can-Am, CART, ALMS, Monterey Historics). Ferrari was the theme car for last year's Historic races and it was just an awesome sight seeing the factory test driver coming down the "corkscrew" in M. Schumacher's 2003 winning F1 car. :smile: :cool:
I know I was there :biggrin:

I guess the main arguments against Laguna Seca for the F1 would be the insufficient safety or runoff zones and the lack of length. Laptimes should be around 1:15 or more and I'm pretty sure F1 cars would be faster there.

I guess the length could be a problem but doesnt it seem like monaco has even less runoff than laguna seca?

NSX-Racer said:
I guess the main arguments against Laguna Seca for the F1 would be the insufficient safety or runoff zones and the lack of length. Laptimes should be around 1:15 or more and I'm pretty sure F1 cars would be faster there.

http://www.gptelmextecate.com/laguna2.asp

"Fastest Lap 9/9/2000 Helio Castroneves 1:07.722 118.969"

If I recall correctly, the factory Ferrari driver could only manage 115mph+ for his best time of the weekend in Schumi's car, thus falling short of breaking the official track record.

Track length should be sufficient, 2.238 miles vs 1.9 for the old layout. Done to satisfy FIA requirements that all F1 Grand Prix bike and car races be a minimum 2.2 mile circuit. Creating extra runoff space could pose a problem though.

Back