• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New video from MotorTrend

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDLUSqfqxg

I thought it was very well done. You can tell he loves the new car but like many of us, wonder what Honda might have been able to do had they simply updated the original's formula.

He basically had the same reaction as Car and Driver's Aaron Robinson. They both acknowledged that there is time to improve the car with software.

I hope they are committed to updates and improvements and even a third and fourth generation, because this platform has so much potential!!!

The comment's at the end tell it all...with many , many good points

Some love , others despise,hate, loath lol.

These reviewers are being bombarded by so much stuff now they don't know what to think.

He complained at first then put into track mode and it blew him away but like a video game??

It seems to have all the latest tech and the numbers will be there so what's wrong?

Yet again, the biggest complaint is that the state-of-the-art technology has created an almost too precise, too controlled, too predictable car that lacks a certain fun factor. I can see how, on a track, the reduced ability to overcome the technology and break loose might diminish the NSX for some. That said, on the street, I perceive the technology and resulting precision/control an unmitigated positive attribute. Therefore, yet again, I personally am unpersuaded by the negative comments (primarily because they are not negative attributes based on my street driving needs).

On the positive side, he acknowledges that the NSX is very fast and has no perceptible turbo lag (the first time the reviewer has ever driven a turbo car with no perceptible lag).

Thanks for sharing. This has got to be one of the best reviews yet I have seen.
I agree with him on everything except the part where he says a V6 doesn't sound good.
Maybe he hasn't driven a ctsc na1 with a jgtc taitec exhaust.:smile:

It sounds really good in the capture that MT posted.

This was the same complaint about the first gen. Too precise, too clinical. They also did not like the look of the first when it came out and gave many other now-aged cars the timeless moniker, but look where they are at now.

I hope that Acura listen to the reviewers tho and give it proper tires and flexible suspension and engine modes straight from the factory. If not, the aftermarket will correct it I'm sure.

Who want's to drive a supercar everyday?

I certainly do. I don't drive it as much as I would like to, but I still drive my NSX atleast 3 days a week. And that's only because I have multiple cars that need to be driven too. I spent several years with the NSX as my only car and I would never look back otherwise on any other car if I had to do it again. The thing with reviewers is that they don't actually own these cars. They just review them so they wouldn't really understand what it's really like.

- - - Updated - - -

O and you don't want to sit in your old stick Ferrari in traffic because it might wear out the clutch too fast or break it. These new DCTs will allow you to take it to work just fine and in style and still control your shifts when you need it. HASHTAG OLDSCHOOLMENTALITY

I also thought it was a great review.

The good ones seem to universally acknowledge that the shortfalls are easily fixable. I'm praying that Honda/Acura are listening.

Typically V6s don't sound good. I do have to acknowledge that, but I reckon the offbeat 75 degree bank angle combined with a primary decat and akrapovic titanium set up will release the sound.

The comment he made that I hadn't seen before is that relating to the front motors not being able to keep up at high speed and the car becoming progressibly more and more rear wheel drive as the speeds increase.

The idea that the vectoring struggles at track speeds is the first warning light against my proposed plans to take the engine to 800+ bhp.

Great review on what is truly an amazing car, and what a relative "bargain" compared to much more simplistic cars like the new McLaren 570S and similarly complex cars like the "old" Porsche 918. Clearly Honda's goal with the new NSX is to showcase the latest technology and their solutions to a number of complex issues... I'm just not sure if that's the car I need to own, however clearly many will want to!

I suggest if you are in the market for a $175K car....go out and drive some other $175K cars to see what your money buys.

In WA State that number equates to about $192K to include TTL.

Probably not going to be any subvented factory leases for quite a while.

He complained at first then put into track mode and it blew him away but like a video game??

It seems to have all the latest tech and the numbers will be there so what's wrong?

I was thinking the same thing. On one hand he says it is not that fun to drive but then at another point he says: "90 MPH drift? no problem!" That sounds like fun to me!

It's interesting that Chris Harris recently said a very similar thing about the 918 in the P1/918/LaF test that he did .. that it basically defied the laws of physics in the corners (given the cars weight) but was just not as fun to drive. And he did it again with the NSX in his write-up recently (elsewhere on Prime) where he gave it a quite positive overall review (similar to MT) plus the 'defies the laws of physics' comment .. even suggested it was 918-like for a fraction of the price ...but then admitted it wasn't as much fun to drive on track, although probably faster than without the torque vectoring.

Nothing I'm seeing so far has come close to putting me off. If anything I'm more encouraged. I like the fact that the niggles can be software removed. They now have six months to take notice.

why did he say NSX was designed by Pininfarina?
From Wikipedia: "In 1984 Honda commissioned the Italian car designer Pininfarina to design the HP-X (Honda Pininfarina eXperimental),[2] which had a mid-mounted C20A 2.0 L V6 configuration. After Honda committed to the project, management informed the engineers that the new car would have to be as fast as anything coming from Italy and Germany .[3] The HP-X concept car evolved into a prototype called the NS-X, which stood for "New", "Sportscar" and "eXperimental".[4] The NS-X prototype and eventual production model were designed by a team led by Chief Designer Masahito Nakano and Executive Chief Engineer Shigeru Uehara, who subsequently were placed in charge of the S2000 project." Unfortunately, since Pininfarina has gone under, the source link [2] no longer works. However, if you search on Pininfarina HP-X, you'll find stuff like this which makes you shake your head as to why it was even mentioned in the same breath as the NSX. http://oldconceptcars.com/1930-2004/honda-hp-x-1984/

Last edited:
NICE Video - one of the best I've seen on the new NSX so far.

I do have a comment though :)

Yes, perhaps Honda should/could have gone back and make a 'simple' car.
But I think that simply isn't what Honda wanted to do.

I think that in 10-20 years, MOST passenger cars will either be full-electric drive or some kind of hydrogen-electric hybrid cars. Think of a country like Norway, that has spoken out it's intention to have gone full electric by 2030. That's only 14 years ahead.
Technology on this front is rapidly going forward so let's face it.
ANY carmaker still making an all-petrol supercar in the coming 5 years is basically building just another (future) dinosaur.

I thought the review was spot on, so far as what I anticipate the care to be like. In other words, everything he's saying is exactly what I would have expected a reviewer to say about this next gen car.

Like the review, I don't really see this as a proper sequel. More like name dropping, or a spin-off if anything.

- - - Updated - - -

NICE Video - one of the best I've seen on the new NSX so far.

I do have a comment though :)

Yes, perhaps Honda should/could have gone back and make a 'simple' car.
But I think that simply isn't what Honda wanted to do.

I think that in 10-20 years, MOST passenger cars will either be full-electric drive or some kind of hydrogen-electric hybrid cars. Think of a country like Norway, that has spoken out it's intention to have gone full electric by 2030. That's only 14 years ahead.
Technology on this front is rapidly going forward so let's face it.
ANY carmaker still making an all-petrol supercar in the coming 5 years is basically building just another (future) dinosaur.

American performance cars have never really "evolved" with the technology. Sure, there are improvements on old designs/concepts, such as tuned port injection--->multi-port injection --->direct injection, etc. But its all just refinements of the same basic technology. Heck, GM/Chrysler are still building cam-in-block motors and three-pedal cars and they are not losing any sales. Without government intervention, I don't see all-petrol going anywhere anytime soon (not nearly in 10-20 years' time). Anyway, that's just my speculation from this vantage point.

Among the most interesting things I see in almost every review now-a-days is that the driver wishes for a proper manual transmission option. It doesn't seem to be a nostalgia thing, either. The enjoyment of the car seems to be diminished using an automated/paddle system. I have never driven a proper DCT so I can't make any first-hand claims, but the idea of the paddle shifters/automated manual puts me off. In fact, it is probably the single biggest reason why I will "convert" from the being a prospective (new) NSX owner to a prospective Corvette or Porsche owner.

Last edited:
Among the most interesting things I see in almost every review now-a-days is that the driver wishes for a proper manual transmission option. It doesn't seem to be a nostalgia thing, either. The enjoyment of the car seems to be diminished using an automated/paddle system. I have never driven a proper DCT so I can't make any first-hand claims, but the idea of the paddle shifters/automated manual puts me off. In fact, it is probably the single biggest reason why I will "convert" from the being a prospective (new) NSX owner to a prospective Corvette or Porsche owner.

I respectfully disagree. First, to the extent that any NSX reviewers made a passing reference to the lack of an optional manual transmission, that was at most a passing observation, as opposed to a genuine criticism. The vast majority of reviewers (some more reluctantly than others) have come around and accepted DCTs -- many have fully embraced DCTs. Second, I have owned several DCT equipped cars and, IMHO, there is no diminishment in enjoyment or connectivity as compared to a manual. In DCT manual mode, the driver has complete control over all up and down shifts. The only difference is that the driver can exercise that shift control quicker using a steering wheel paddle, as compared to a stick shift. Why is that less enjoyable or less connected? Third, while everyone certainly has the prerogative to embrace antiquated manual transmissions and remain firmly entrenched in the 20th century, it is undeniable that paddle shifting DCTs provide vastly superior performance. Manual transmissions can be fun to drive (without traffic), but I'll take the superior performance provided by a DCT. The fact that paddle shifters are more convenient in traffic is an extra bonus I don't mind.

Want to throw my own opinions to the mix. Recently sold an AUDI R8 in anticipation for the NSX. First off, I think the fact that this car feels like an every day driver yet is a sports car is a huge plus. This is actually one of the major reasons I am considering an NSX. Just tired of driving Ferraris, R8s, and other uncomfortable cars in the north east. The highway systems and roads here suck and it's getting more and more impossible to enjoy these sports cars on the streets because it honestly starts to hurt to drive them. I want a comfy sports car that I can consider an every day driver!

Second, noticed A LOT of people complaining about how much technology and software this car has. The fact of the matter is, this is inevitable. Things are changing with the times. Noticed most people that are expecting it to be bare bones are just unable to adjust to the changing times. The future belongs to technology and software, and this NSX tries to take a good stab at it. Whether it will be successful with that remains to be seen.

Lastly, the one negative I can really see myself here is with the price. I do think price is too high. Sold my R8 to a guy that owns the old NSX and I asked him why he's buying my R8 and not the new NSX. He said "price". And I have to agree with him there. If it were $110k-$120k it'd be a world of a difference.

Lastly, the one negative I can really see myself here is with the price. I do think price is too high. Sold my R8 to a guy that owns the old NSX and I asked him why he's buying my R8 and not the new NSX. He said "price". And I have to agree with him there. If it were $110k-$120k it'd be a world of a difference.

I hear this a fair bit, but it seems that people simply aren't cross shopping:

New NSX: $170-190k
New Audi R8 with decent options: $150-$200k
Nissan GTR Nismo well optioned: $165k
Mercedes AMG GT S well optioned: $150-170k

This is where the price point is for cars of this style.

Pin did the first concept which was not very attractive. The design you see now is not by them.

The design was done by Ken Okuyama who would later be hired by Pininfarina and go on to design the Enzo. There is no doubt though that the final design of the NSX was very inspired by Pininfarina design. If you do have any doubts, park your NSX next to a Ferrari of that era.

Last edited:
Pininfarina_Honda_HP-X_2.jpg

This is the HP-X by Pininfarina.

Influences, before and after, and designs from the 80s are nothing alike the NSX. The C4 Corvette and 180SX had more in common with the NSX than the Ferraris of that time:

cars-ferrari-328-18700.jpg

Ferrari-308-GTS.jpg

ferrari-spider-1373.jpg

Now if you would have said the SW20 MR2 being influenced by Ferrari...

99107d1224995177-hi-current-mid-engine-car-owner-but-not-lotus-yet-crop_medpb130659.jpg

Great review. Explains why I have no desire to own one. I'm keeping mine and getting a GT4 for almost half the price with a manual. I don't need the fastest car I need a car with a great driving experience. This review makes it sound like a GTR that's overpriced

Back