• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie with emission question- before I buy

I'm looking at a 92 from NJ. I know it will need to go thru emissions when I get it back to Phoenix. My concern is will I have a hard time getting this thru emissions? It has a built motor and supercharger which is why I'm concerned. Any thoughts?

I think as long as it has catalytic converters on it and has been tuned it should be ok. I am by no means an expert, but I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable will chime in.

contact science of speed in Tempe locally. they have a lot more knowledge with this thing than most of the guys here. I personally would not let it be a deal breaker. it is very easy to tune the the car for emissions.

agree with peiserg, shouldn't be a deal breaker...

They have emissions requirements in New Jersey, did it pass there?

Seller is a dealer so I thought they did not have to emission test it. Is that true? I will contact SOS. Thanks.

Depending on which county you move to, you will have different emissions standards. Maricopa CO (Phoenix area) uses CARB (California) emissions standards, but they do not do a visual inspection of the vehicle. However, for OBD1 cars (which the 92 is), they will do a sniffer test.

On the other hand, Comptech makes an exhaust header that is CARB legal. If it doesn't have one on already, you could swap for that one.

24832 miles for a 92? Hmmm.... nice...

Do you think this has been altered? The carfax checks out good. Reasonably well documented car via this forum so I felt it was probably right. Thoughts?

Do you think this has been altered? The carfax checks out good. Reasonably well documented car via this forum so I felt it was probably right. Thoughts?

I guess that's the million dollar question. Are you really paying close to 100k for a 92?
If the low mileage checks out, you have to watch out for PHOEN$X. He is very good at snatching up NSXs, and looking for his fourth one.... :eek:

contact science of speed in Tempe locally. they have a lot more knowledge with this thing than most of the guys here. I personally would not let it be a deal breaker. it is very easy to tune the the car for emissions.

this.

also, what exactly is in the "built engine"?

it's usually not an issue unless the person installed aftermarket cams (very rare for the NSX since it's an arm and a leg for low ROI).

Iguess that's the million dollar question. Are you really paying close to 100kfor a 92?
If the low mileage checks out, you have to watch out for PHOEN$X. He is verygood at snatching up NSXs, and looking for his fourth one....
<v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"> </v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas> <v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"> <o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:path></v:stroke></v:shapetype><v:shape style="width: 12pt; height: 12pt; visibility: visible; mso-wrap-style: square;" id="Picture_x0020_1" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"> <v:imagedata o:title="eek" src="file:///C:\Users\CHRIST~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Well it’s been on ebay for almost 4 months so I'm sure he has seen it.Hopefully I'm not bring it to his attention and he out maneuvers me to it :) Iwas concerned about posting about it for that very reason but thought I mightget some important insight from the local group as this will be by first NSXpurchase and input is always appreciated.

this.

also, what exactly is in the "built engine"?

it's usually not an issue unless the person installed aftermarket cams (veryrare for the NSX since it's an arm and a leg for low ROI).

From this FS post
Engine Fresh rebuild by Comptech Machine $30k in receipts formotor alone with CompTech Hi boost Super Charger running 12 lbs. boost, Scienceof Speed Laminova Air Water inner cooler kit, fresh service including new waterpump, timing belt, accessory belts, spark plugs, all gaskets, rocker arm adjustetc., Billet aluminum and carbon fiber trim, Full top and bottom end build byComptech Machine, Forged JE pistons, Balanced and blueprinted, Titaniumconnecting rods, Ported heads, HI performance camshafts set (Comptech),Adjustable cam gears (Comptech), Hi flow oil pump gear (Comptech), Titaniumvalve spring retainers (Comptech), Hi lift valve springs (Comptech), Balanced,knife edged crankshaft, Stainless headers (Comptech), Carbon fiber Hi Flowinduction box w/ uni filter- CT Engineering, Comptech stainless steel headerset, RFY (gt design gt extreme) gt v1 exhaust, ARC titanium test pipe set, RC750cc injectors, Aem Fic.

<o:p></o:p>

$30k for rebuild and supercharger system? or was it just for the rebuild?

Find out more about the head porting. Was it enlarged by much or just enough to clean up the ports from the casting texture and deburring

I'm not a cam shaft expert, so can say much besides that cam shaft selection can make or break ur ability to pass emissions - hence why i don't touch camshafts on any of my builds.

I don't like titanium valve retainers since all of the engine shops that I've used as well as my own research on 2 engine builds suggest that titanium retainers are not that strong compared to the OEM or a good aftermarket tool grade steel. Ti retainers are great for track use if there is an engine rebuild involved where u need to inspect the parts often. Only benefit is weight savings... however small that is.

Get rid of that AEM FIC. any serious tuner would sell that and get the AEM EMS 2. difference is the FIC is a piggy back with limited features and the EMS is a full ECU replacement. Much more robust for a safer tune.

JE pistons are OK in my book. My research suggest that Wiseco are superior. Diamond pistons are good as well.

Everything else looks good.

Thanks for your input! Good items for me to follow up with. Are you local?

Last edited:

Well it’s been on ebay for almost 4 months so I'm sure he has seen it.Hopefully I'm not bring it to his attention and he out maneuvers me to it :) Iwas concerned about posting about it for that very reason but thought I mightget some important insight from the local group as this will be by first NSXpurchase and input is always appreciated.

<o:p></o

PHOEN$X has actually been MIA for a while, so I don't think he will be paying attention to this opportunity/transaction :smile:

Last edited:
Thats good to hear :) He does not need one for each day of the week.

Thats good to hear :) He does not need one for each day of the week.

That's his goal and he is working on it :biggrin:

This doesn't seem to be Phoen$x's style, anyway. From what I know about him, I can't see him dropping $100K on this car....

That's because he is saving the $100k for the NEW NSX! But you never know what he might do with that extra $100k lying around :eek:

Last edited:
This doesn't seem to be Phoen$x's style, anyway..

I can second that notion.

With the age of the car, if you get collectors insurance you can get exempt from emissions testing (see other thread in this PHX section)
although with a modified engine you may not be able to get collectors insurance (if you are honest..)

Get a REAL GOOD pre-purchase mechanical inspection by one of the known NSX mechanics out there (names escape me at the moment)
Engines ain't cheap...

The list price on that ad is rather insane unless you HAVE to HAVE a wide body sorcery with forced injection and modded engine

I can think of other ways to spend 100K, like buy TWO NSXs :biggrin:

Thanks for the input. I have started a thread in the NE forum to try to find someone to inspect the car.

that's a LOT to pay for an NSX. Granted... you look at the miles/year, and add in the body and paint, motor build, blower, BBK, suspension etc... you're probably well beyond $100k invested... but whoever put this together should know money into a car is money you will never recoup.

Also.. MUCH cheaper to buy a built car than build one yourself. I guess i'm wondering what wuold be your goal if you bought a stock nsx? I've never needed body kits... for me it's all performance oriented... so I could see myself paying $50k for an older nsx with a lot of mods, or $80k for a new one with lots of mods... etc...but $100k is way out there...

FWIW $30k for a build? Check the receipts.. it's possible.. i know comptech is pricey... but that motor better be the fuxking shizzle for that price point... I paid $15k INCLUDING a brand new crank $2500 due to damage to mine... that was turnkey for a built like a brick shithouse 3.2l motor from a highly recommended motor building company.

Back