• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

News Release in Japan 3 AM Today

Not trying to get your hopes up but this was translated from a Japan web site:

With HONDA “NSX” and HV to revival with Riemann shock development discontinuance
2010.12.16 02:59
 HONDA on the 15th, reopened the development of the succession car of high-class sport car and “NSX” the hybrid car (HV) made that it enters into examination with the direction which throws the model clear. Development was discontinued with influence of recession after the Riemann shock of the fall of the year before last, but it judged that the brand traction (traction) the sport car which is done is indispensable attendant upon achievement improvement.
 As for NSX at 2005 end of year end production. HONDA presently has not produced the high-class sport car. “(You call environmental concern) adding age characteristic, we would like to make”, carbon dioxide (CO2) control of the discharge quantity we had decided high travelling efficiency to start the development of the HV model which is compatible (Ito filial piety 紳 the president) as.
 HV “CR of the sport type which sells in February - it is the pattern which boosts also the favorable sale result of Z”. NSX of HV is taking the Japanese-American both markets into consideration with the prospect that it sells 3 - 4 years later.
 The same company presently, the HV model of the leading small car “fitting” which is sold in October and HV private car “in sight” and so on being domestic, sells 5 models. Next spring with the goal of the wagon type which designates fitting as the base, throwing also mini- van type to next fall, it is the posture which assumes offensive posture.

woodwork

thanks for sticking around!

Zero_Wing_Base.png

If it's got a hybrid powertrain, just make it perform well. Very well.

This is not official Honda info from me. This was from the internet. No inside information (except my associate was reading a Japan website and told me).

woodwork

Hi Mr. WoodWork,

Its been a while since we seen each other. I can't believe you missed my event and Uehara-San @ Campus in Sept.

Lets Grab some coffee on Campus 3rd/4th week of jan.

You know how to reach me. :wink:

Mike

Last edited:
Ahh Mike says nothing other than hello. I'm starting to pay attention to what Mike does and doesn't say.

Mr Woodwork could you by chance share the internet link with us if not I understand and thanks for letting us know.

This may be a Japanese pickup of the Motor Trend story. Same details:

NSX discontinued due to age and economy
Honda now focused on hybrid green cars
CR-Z is first of the new line
NSX to use hybrid powertrain and be released in 3-4 years

This may be a Japanese pickup of the Motor Trend story. Same details:

NSX discontinued due to age and economy
Honda now focused on hybrid green cars
CR-Z is first of the new line
NSX to use hybrid powertrain and be released in 3-4 years

Hey chief!

Doesn't it sound like Honda is looking into two cars from the article? The "high class sportscar and NSX the HV car"

That translation, the first of the thread, though appreciated, is at the very least or, very best, ambiguous.

It's going be a long wait, and I fear I will be very,....very old before I see a sport car from Honda that will be meant to continue the NSX tradition, whatever the fuel will be.

Last edited:
In the late 1980s the dow was at 2500. Sooo let's just say the economists in japan new something big was gona happen. They needed that bubble. Between 1990 and 2000 the dow quadrupled. can you c the trend. Boys and girls its all simple economics. We are in a double dip recession. Japans a lot smarter than you think.

Hey chief!

Doesn't it sound like Honda is looking into two cars from the article? The "high class sportscar and NSX the HV car"

Hey Perry, yes it does appear that way. I think Honda got burned on its 2002-2009 development concept of high-power RWD/AWD models for the Acura line. If you recall, at that time Honda was going for "Tier 1" luxury and poured a lot of money into the new platform, of which the HSV was going to be the first production vehicle. We'll never know, but I'm sure the R&D on that entire line of vehicles was in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars over the years. Then the economy hit, the market soured and they had to throw it all away. Plus, they had the public embarrassment of having to ask Super GT for a special rule to race a car they were no longer going to produce for consumers. Japanese companies are conservative to begin with, so this chain of events must have been an epic disaster for them.

Which brings us to this new concept. Rather than push in all their chips like they did for the "Tier 1" concept, Honda is approaching the new platform much more conservatively. I suspect they intend to have this new hybrid drivetrain replace their entire line of K and J series vehicles. But, they are testing the market with smaller, cheaper concepts like the CR-Z before going all-in this time. It's almost the reverse of the Tier 1 process. There, they went with the most expensive product- the HSV- as the intro. They're not going to make that mistake again.

If the CR-Z succeeds, we'll probably see a Civic and Accord (and TSX/TL) using the new chassis as a next step. The CR-Z is selling well, which bodes well for the entire hybrid platform concept. But mark my words, until Honda becomes absolutely sure that this platform will succeed as their new direction, all we will ever hear from them officially is that "there are no plans for a new NSX."

Hey Perry, yes it does appear that way. I think Honda got burned on its 2002-2009 development concept of high-power RWD/AWD models for the Acura line. If you recall, at that time Honda was going for "Tier 1" luxury and poured a lot of money into the new platform, of which the HSV was going to be the first production vehicle. We'll never know, but I'm sure the R&D on that entire line of vehicles was in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars over the years. Then the economy hit, the market soured and they had to throw it all away. Plus, they had the public embarrassment of having to ask Super GT for a special rule to race a car they were no longer going to produce for consumers. Japanese companies are conservative to begin with, so this chain of events must have been an epic disaster for them.

Which brings us to this new concept. Rather than push in all their chips like they did for the "Tier 1" concept, Honda is approaching the new platform much more conservatively. I suspect they intend to have this new hybrid drivetrain replace their entire line of K and J series vehicles. But, they are testing the market with smaller, cheaper concepts like the CR-Z before going all-in this time. It's almost the reverse of the Tier 1 process. There, they went with the most expensive product- the HSV- as the intro. They're not going to make that mistake again.

If the CR-Z succeeds, we'll probably see a Civic and Accord (and TSX/TL) using the new chassis as a next step. The CR-Z is selling well, which bodes well for the entire hybrid platform concept. But mark my words, until Honda becomes absolutely sure that this platform will succeed as their new direction, all we will ever hear from them officially is that "there are no plans for a new NSX."

Insightful as always counselor.

Two vehicles would make the most sense as the HSV is a completely different type of vehicle and shouldn't just be put to pasture as it's doing so well race wise. A MR HV would be a perfect NSX replacement and meet a market that isn't being reached currently at least not until a hybrid Cayman or R8 comes out either way Honda could compete well when those two do come to market.

I thought the CRZ wasn't a selling as planned but there seems to be dispute over that. If it's a precursor then we can forget it since that car has been mostly if not completely panned in America by media. From what I'm hearing a gas version is being readied which pretty much kills whatever point was to be had with the car.

Back