• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next NSX with a i-vtec V6!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the 3/26 issue of Best Car Magazine of Japan (page 13)
The next generation NSX will incorporate a i-VTEC V6, somewhere around 3400cc, and produce around 350hp. The interesting bit of information is that the car will be made of aluminum and take advantage of Honda's hybrid technology. According to the article, Honda wanted to take a different route then the 911 and the F360 Modena. Best Car did not specify if the horsepower rating was with the electric motors taken into consideration or not. Since, the Honda Insight is made in the same factory as the NSX, the aluminum body and the hybrid motor was considered. In the past, the next NSX was rumored to be a V-8 or V-10, but current revelation point that the next NSX will be a i-VTEC V6 with electric motors, the weight saving benefit is not clear at this time, but the next Honda will surely be more compact. But the Honda's philosophy that the next NSX will be a F1 on wheels that is comfortable and fun to drive remains intact.

Current estimations

Length - 4300mmWidth -1800mmHeight -1180mmWheelbase 2500mmEngine 3.4L V6 i-VTEC350hp/7500rpm 33Kg/M /5500rpm (~239 lb-ft)6 speed MTprice 8,000,000 yen

IP

Hmmmm....

350 HP from an i-VTEC sounds fine.

I'm not too sure about electric motors and being more compact.

Electric motors, batteries, controls, sounds heavy to me. Being more compact, sounds like the car might lose some of its sleekness.

I think I liked the V-8 rumors better.

Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

the performance specs for a highbrid NSX type vehicle would no doubt be hampered by the tremendous weight, and size of the nickel metal hydride battery pack...which would be located....where? the 144 volt battery pack for the 1.9 liter Insight is about the size/ volume of an igloo cooler.A bigger system requires bigger batteries. How would the engineers intend to maintain the performance improving 50/50 weight distribution? Would they resort to a Corvette C5 type solution by placing the wieght at opposite ends of the structure? Would the new car sacrifice performance for innovation? Why would they do that to a sports car? Considering that a Honda executive admitted that "it would be safe to assume" they were selling the Insight at a financial loss ( Insight Road Test January 2000, Car&Driver, page 111)Why would they implement the technology into the nitch market selling NSX before testing the water with say a limited production run of TL's/ or CL's, or even the new RSX coupe equipped with an IMA-VTEC system? Especially considering that the enthusiast who purchases a high ticket rocket car like an NSX is more performance minded, and less concerned with fuel milage as, say a compact car buyer? Its all too far fetched for me, I'll stand by the Aluminum VTEC V-8 theory.

WizKid,
I drive the Insight before and trust me, the IMA does miracles to the car's performance. The batteries weigh about 50 pounds-which is not alot of weight. because of the IMA system, I can have another adult in the car and not feel a difference. The electric motor compensates greatly for it.

There are rumors that honda is going to come out with a hybrid civic within a few years. They should definately test a hybrid system on their TL and CL. Why not introduce a special edition RSX with IMA and see how well it does? If they do introduce it in the NSX market; this would be WAY too RISKY because the other cars (TL, CL) have a much greater market than the NSX.

What I was thinking about however, was have the NSX take some of the newer technology introduced in the Inisght and S2000. This technology could be electronic power steering(EPS). For me, the EPS is better than hydraulic pwr steering because you don't get that "stiff" feeling when the car is cold (you just started it).
At any rate, I have the IMA in my insight and couldn't live without it.
NSXadmirer

Originally posted by H-carWizKid:
the performance specs for a highbrid NSX type vehicle would no doubt be hampered by the tremendous weight, and size of the nickel metal hydride battery pack...which would be located....where? the 144 volt battery pack for the 1.9 liter Insight is about the size/ volume of an igloo cooler.A bigger system requires bigger batteries. How would the engineers intend to maintain the performance improving 50/50 weight distribution? Would they resort to a Corvette C5 type solution by placing the wieght at opposite ends of the structure? Would the new car sacrifice performance for innovation? Why would they do that to a sports car? Considering that a Honda executive admitted that "it would be safe to assume" they were selling the Insight at a financial loss ( Insight Road Test January 2000, Car&Driver, page 111)Why would they implement the technology into the nitch market selling NSX before testing the water with say a limited production run of TL's/ or CL's, or even the new RSX coupe equipped with an IMA-VTEC system? Especially considering that the enthusiast who purchases a high ticket rocket car like an NSX is more performance minded, and less concerned with fuel milage as, say a compact car buyer? Its all too far fetched for me, I'll stand by the Aluminum VTEC V-8 theory.

EPS has been in the NSX since first model year 91. In fact, it was the first EPS system to be placed in a production system. I believe it was Woodwork (Honda tech) that mentioned the technology developed for the NSX was migrated to other following models such as the S2000.

I personally really like EPS in the NSX.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

whoops, my bad about the EPS then. Well, 91 was a good year- the year the NSX came out and I used to drive a 91 legend.

Well, I was thinking about introducing a hybrid system in an NSX. On the Insight, the electric motor is also the flywheel for the car. Think about it this way, its a flywheel that can give you that extra umph when you need it.
My expierence with driving the insight is that the IMA does miracles for the car but the batteries drain quick. Once the batteries are drained, you are just carrying dead weight around- not something you need at the track.

What about having the batteries removeable. You normally drive the car with the batteries in to acheive better mileage, then you can take them out at the track so you don't have the weight of the IMA system.

just a thought.
admirer

EPS has been in the NSX since first model year 91.

But only on the ones with automatic transmission. They first started putting it on the manual transmission model in the 1995 model year.

NSXAdmirer
I am very familier with the Insight, I went to a factory sponsored ride-and-drive event shortly before I left the Honda dealership I worked at to return to college. I agree that the 3 cylinder Insight has tremendous pep, and very Civic like road manners. I agree that when compared to a Civic the Fuel milage also makes the Insight a bargain,even with its higher sticker. (Money saved on gas equals greater savings over time when you consider the longevity of a Honda). Now that I have agreed with the majority of your views, let me explain my post.

IMA technology really doesn't have a place in exotic sports cars. To be completely honest when we leave from Tulsa to head up to Wisconsin this October, fuel milage will be the furthest thing from my mind.

As for the torque advantage: Sure The IMA system does well to boost the power of the 3 cylinder in the Insight. It provides a boost in power while still allowing it's little engine to take baby sips from the gas tank. However, when fuel milage is not a concern, there are better ways to improve torque. Honda has been constantly experimenting with ways to improve the performance of their standard internal combustion engines.
This leads me to my final point. This whole thread is based upon the misconception that I-VTEC means gas/electric hybrid. Guess what? It doesn't. I-VTEC stands for VTEC with Intellegence. I-VTEC is simply Hondas new nomenclature to describe VTEC heads with the new VTC feature Variable Timing Control. I-VTEC is designed to improve power accross the rev range by allowing for computer controlled alterations to the camshaft timing at any engine speed, along with the traditional lift control we all know and love. Honda's new engines benifit from greater torque, even at low RPM's. For a review on the new RSX, featuring an 2.0 liter I-VTEC 4-cylinder, click
http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/rsx.html

Take it easy y'all (getting my Texas accent ready)
Phil Glorioso
H-carWizKid

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 16 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 16 July 2001).]

It seems that expensive Japanese cars are always less expensive in their domestic market. But of course, I would hope a new supercar from Honda could hit the U.S. market in the mid 60's, to 70K, maybe then a brand new one would be attainable...

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

Back