• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No AM Radio or CD player

Both technologies are obsolete and have no place on a car like the NSX. Furthermore, the lack of a CD player should have been obvious since there is no slot visible in the interior.

LoL most phones will play AM radio. Aux or bluetooth link the phone. CDs, well, mp3s have been around for 2 decades now.

I listen to AM from time to time but that only because I am too lazy to set up an alternative. CDs on the other hand, I cant even remember the last time I used one or even owned one for that matter. Even setting up new PCs involves installing from USB3, no reason to install an optical drive.

Both technologies are obsolete and have no place on a car like the NSX. Furthermore, the lack of a CD player should have been obvious since there is no slot visible in the interior.

Porsche seems to disagree.....in their all new systems for 2017 → w/Apple Car Play . What do they know that you don't? ↓↓↓

"For your personal music collection, the CD/DVD drive is supplemented by an internal hard drive (‘jukebox’) and two SD card readers.
Once you have inserted a card containing your audio files, you can play them using the music player in PCM."

Last edited:
Haven't listened to an AM station nor played a CD in my 91 NSX for 10 years.
I installed a Grom adapter and use the Bluetooth with my iPhone for phone calls and play my tunes off the phone or a USB memory stick.
The new NSX set-up is perfect.

FYI, on the BMW i3, the AM radio is disabled via software "flag" that can be changed (activated) via "coding." The explanation given (or maybe rumored) was that AM radio is susceptible to noise/interference from all the EV systems and they decided it was better to disable to feature versus face complaints of noisy radio (and versus designing an AM radio system that controlled for all that noise).

Does Tesla have AM radio?

I agree that no AM is annoying, but also that most content is readility available via apps.

Deleting the CD is a no brainer.

AM radio? What's AM radio? What's a CD? Those are both questions my 10-year old has asked since I've never used either in his lifetime. :) I don't even remember the last time I played a CD for music.

The CD changer in my current NSX is unplugged in favor of the Willman's conversion.

In short, who needs AM? Just get the XM option and listen to sports to your content. :)

Is the XM receiver in the upcoming NSX standard or $ ?

As far as CD's go, the DTS 5.1 version of Steely Dan "Gaucho" through Burmester is fantastic!
Have a quite a few others in the DTS format and wonderful sound quality.

Up to at least '14 or '15 (Wife's MDX anyway) XM & DTS CD was standard in all of Acura's ELS systems.

Last edited:
To add XM, it was $500, then you have the service fee and the roof is contaminated with a tumor.

Not thanks to all 3.

Satellite radio is a joke. Your cellphone, not even needed to be a smartphone these days can stream more music than any other car service could provide along with the best GPS from Google...

Satellite radio is a joke. Your cellphone, not even needed to be a smartphone these days can stream more music than any other car service could provide along with the best GPS from Google...

True, but Sirius XM is actually pretty good. Plus the data that the carriers charge these days you'll likely pay equivalent for Sirius XM subscription. It's great for long trips where you're in the middle of nowhere with little or no reception on your cell phone as it works just about everywhere.

True, but Sirius XM is actually pretty good. Plus the data that the carriers charge these days you'll likely pay equivalent for Sirius XM subscription. It's great for long trips where you're in the middle of nowhere with little or no reception on your cell phone as it works just about everywhere.

An unlimited data throttled but fast enough for gps and music with 1-2 gb 4g plan is only about $30-$40 per month prepaid for most if not all carriers - this includes unlimited calls and texts which saves on data for picture/video messaging. I haven't been in a cellular contract since 2006 or so... Totally off topic, but the reality of carrier charges if you enter the edge plans or contracts.

Back