• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No head unit. Complete!

After getting some good advice from some of the Prime members I set out to eliminate my head unit. The goal is to run my aftermarket stereo through my smartphone. The bi-product is a clean center console.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...d thread/da6f1bd62ae645580e39a637cbe98717.jpg

I went with the Kicker 50.2. Handy device.

9619a225d510f8a3c770b31f1515d33d.jpg

First I removed the DDIN

01dbc648ea7ddda8af8eabeba2af1297.jpg

Wired the unit into my existing aftermarket system

38e426e117d70336d7c1ac2bb95d7a7f.jpg

external control

7711aff281784f8e353cd4362c2b7cf4.jpg

buttoned up the project and it all sounds really good. The unit provides a USB port to run a charging cable and aux in. This is for a headphone jack if you prefer to hardwire as opposed to bluetooth. I ran these into the armrest.

I like the look of the clean console. I'm probably going to add an inline EQ which will allow for manual control of bass and treble settings. Maybe I'm a control freak. The native settings sound great I just want a little more flexibility. The whole setup cost me less than $275.00

Special thanks to all the PRIME members who helped out with advice and ideas!

Last edited:
Looks great, are you running aftermarket speakers or OEM?, I like how the volume control fits in that little space that is usually wasted space in my case.

Yeah the controller fits perfect in that space. All of the OEM stereo is gone. Focal mids with separate tweets, alpine 4 channel amp and aftermarket 10" sub in the factory location. It sounds good.

Thanks! Giving up my backup camera is the one thing this setup cannot replicate. That's why the SOS pod and screen are next. I left the alpine wiring and video controller. It should be a simple install. I wouldn't mind a rear view mirror with LCD built in. I just haven't found one that looks good yet.

This is what I've been looking for all along after the FiiO amp that phryxis posted about got discontinued.

thanks for sharing the info!

for a DSP, you can go with the JBL MS-2 as recommended by Turbo2Go several times. Very small in size and easy to configure, which goes along with your theme of light weight and simple.

Back