• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No new NSX $40k car instead

Where's the article that states this? I don't see anything but them saying that it is so. Too bad if really true.

That sucks!!!

if it is true...Looks like Honda just wants to make $$$ now, instead of making history...They better not call it an NSX if that is the case...Too bad the front end resembles an NSX though...

Hope it is not true and it is still a hand built exotic when all is said and done...Otherwise, don't be in a hurry to sell your current NSX , because if the next one is mass produced $40K type car, then our's should go up in value....

I hope that is not true. I cannot see another 40K car. They already have a S2000 to compete in that class. I guess they could make an ACURA version of it.

Let's hope this is not true.

I don't think this is true. Honda has already said when the HSC was first displayed that it was going to compete with Ferrari. As far as I know, Ferrari doesn't have anything like this. Unless Honda meant that they were going to compete with used Ferraris, but I don't see that happening.

Be happy there will be another NSX

The HSC will come and Honda is working hard to develop a fine successor of the NSX.

I am confident the new car will beat everything in its price range and this includes Ferrari.

Actually Honda is considered as making one of the best F1 engine in 2004.

Better than Mercedes and BMW!

Just saw the F-chat link, haven't been here in weeks.

The news, if it's true (and I believe it is) is nothing that should shock anyone who's followed my posts about the HSC.

I've said many times that the deflation on the Yen, combined with Honda being under attack from all sides thanks to a dominant Toyota and a resurgent Nissan, along with their current overly-conservative management, would spell doom for those hoping for a true supercar replacement from Honda.

I've documented how it costs anywhere from $1B to $3B to develop a true topline sportscar that could exceed the performance parameters of Ferrari's upcoming 430M (360 replacement), Lamborghini's Gallardo, and the Porsche 911TT. I've also broken down the fact that no Japanese manufacturer could sell any vehicle above $85k either in the United States or in Europe due to the ridiculous "no prestige" peer-pressure at that level and achieve the volume that Honda would require to make back their heavy investment in greenlighting a supercar.

Every day Honda finds itself a medium-sized fish in a medium-sized lake, with lots and lots of massive-sized fish threatening it. The GM engine deal should have been a warning shot that Honda's management is nervous about surviving in a world with no dominant partner. They simply couldn't afford the gamble of releasing an expensive car for just "halo" marketing purposes. The facelift for the 2002 NSX alone cost upwards of $250M to achieve, that should give you an idea of the type of committment we're talking about when we face the task of changing a car, let alone introducing an entirely new one.

I personally had held out hope that Honda could adopt some sort of unified platform with the next-gen S2000 project, drop a nice 3.5L V-6 in it that devlops 330 - 350HP, and sell it with an NSX badge in the $55k price range. But even that it appears is not to be.

Good to know that the S2000 will live on with a second generation model, which is what the Automobile writer is referencing when he talks about a new model to tackle the Boxster, and will likely get a boost in power and capability.

It's the closest we'll see to a new Honda sportscar for the forseeable future, meaning the next decade.

For those of you that need to be talked off the roof thanks to this news, my advice would be to start saving your pennies for those used Gallardos that will flood the market in the next five years. They're making 1,600 of those bad boys a year, and there will be plenty available to choose from in the future. Prices will be under $100k for say a four year old one with 30k miles, and that's a LOT of car for the money.

Best to all.

It says American Honda wants a $40,000 car, no big surprize there as they cannot be making a lot of money on the current NSX.
But it will be Japan that decides what they make, and to the Japanese this is a show car, and more important in Japan than in the USA.
I would not count it out yet.
And Mako you never documented what it costs to design and build a car, you did SAY it and told us to go find the unknown books that you could not provide a title for.

I can see 40k new CL or s2k something like 320hp.

Honda has already said hsc will come out so no worries

MAKO said:
The facelift for the 2002 NSX alone cost upwards of $250M to achieve, that should give you an idea of the type of committment we're talking about when we face the task of changing a car, let alone introducing an entirely new one.
$250 million doesn't sound like a credible cost for that redesign. If Honda were selling 1000 a year (which I don't think they are, 2002 and beyond) and the redesigned NSX were on sale for 5 years, then the redesign would have cost $50,000 per car.

For those interested, some excerpts from the article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our sources tell us, however, that after looking again at the design and the business case surrounding a new NSX, Honda has decided to pass, at least for now."

"But with Honda reportedly having had trouble getting the HSC design to gel, the crunch came in April when, at a top-level presentation, principal decision makers from Japan and the United States couldn't agree that the HSC-based coupe had the right stuff to succeed. Honda is turning its attention to a new luxury coupe instead."

"For enthusiasts, it's a worrisome sign. First the CRX disappeared and then the Prelud. There might not be another S2000 and now the NSX has effectively been read its last rites."

I am surprised there is nothing about this on Temple of VTEC. They normally scoop any magazines.

The report says the decision was made in April, yet it is now June. Seems strange to me and why would nobody else know this.

This point is valid to me. "he United States couldn't agree that the HSC-based coupe had the right stuff to succeed."

There was no way it would be successful with only a 300HP v6. I could see maybe that would be OK in japan, but not here in the US.

Do you guys/gals really think that the CEO of Honda would say the following if they weren't absolutely sure of the next Generation NSX's future?

"This type of commitment is also the reason we make vehicles like the Acura NSX and Honda S2000. The production volume is small. But the value is high - both for our customers and for the Honda engineers who develop these vehicles. And that is the thinking behind the HSC concept car that you can see at the Acura stand. This model will serve as the basis for the next generation NSX you will see within a few years. We are committed to achieve the industry best performance - no - rival - exists - for this vehicle."

Of course it doesn't say the next gen NSX will be 50k or 100k dollars, but " best performance - no - rival - exists" is probably a stretch for a 40-50,000 dollar vehicle. It will be interesting, that's for sure. The following sentence is pure Honda:

The production volume is small. But the value is high - both for our customers and for the Honda engineers who develop these vehicles.

Good stuff.

NSXocto said:
For those interested, some excerpts from the article:
end of Peter Nunn's article (page 15, Automobile July 2004)

"Honda likely will continue to produce and evolve the NSX in small numbers as long as there is demand. But for a wholly new edition to kick Ferrari's butt, the moment seems to have passed. Sadly."

#############

"as long as there is demand" is an interesting viewpoint.

I am curious as to how Honda's perception of "demand adequacy" has factored into their "decision" to reportedly shelve all plans for the redesign, which folks are inferring means "no new NSX".

The recent shutdown/transition of the Tochigi Takanezawa facility also may have something to do with this... cost efficiencies probably had something to do with this, particularly for the higher-volume Tochigi cars (S2K, hybrids, FCX, etc).

The margin/volume business economics of mass-production aside, which are certainly non-trivial considerations in an overall constructor's long-term viability, perhaps the question to be asked is: for Honda/Acura's long-term future, and perpetuation of Soichiro's vision/dream, are "halo cars" like the NSX still a key component ?? If the answer is "yes", then I am confident that Honda will not disappoint us...

Even with a lot of sadness, I would have to agree with Honda if they would decide not to produce a car that would cost more than 60k$.

:(

If they decide to go the 60k$ / <350ps route it would be wise not to offer a 2005 NSX and wait end 2006 to present the new car to the world. This would avoid pissing off 2003/2004 NSX buyers...

HSC

Read the article and it is true the HSC is nixed but maybe now when they re-do it will look a lot better it looked horrible to much like a vette first vette copies nsx then vice versa.

I'd be perfectly happy if it looked the same. Perhaps a little updating... but the sillhouette of the car... the spoiler, the side scoops... it's all just so perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

Worry not Honda faithful, Acura PR made an official response to the Automobile article:

"While it is still too early to provide details on the next NSX, we can say that we are committed to the model and will ultimately offer a replacement. The HSC shown in Detroit and Tokyo was a concept of the direction the next NSX could take."

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=242677

Back