• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Noise from Back Right Wheel Area

Hey Guys, I am having a noise coming from the back right area of the car. Sounds like brakes, but the pads aren't worn down to the point it should make a scraping sound. The noise happens when I first start the vehicle and drive for about 15-30 miles. When I hit the brakes it sounds like that could be it, but when I take my foot off of the brake it will continue the sound for a second or two then stop. If I hit a bump shortly after releasing my foot off the brake it makes the noise, and when I hit a hard bump in the road.

Does that sound like a brake issue? Like the pads are worn down enough to change them? I drove the damn car all the way to the Acura Dealership in Winston-Salem and I explained to them what was happening. The guy got in the seat and drove it a mile or two and it never made the sound once. then they look at the brakes and claim they still have life on them. They told me to just bring it back if it happens again, SO I DID. The thing again didnt make the sound.

The only thing I can think of is that by driving it the 30 miles to the dealership that whatever it is somehow stops either by warming up due to driving or its all in my head. So can the rotors warm up within 20-30 miles to where the noise from the brake or calliper would stop making the noise, and then the next day due to it being cold start up again?

Hope this shit makes sense. I am all ears. May have to get a hold of Tomkat and see if he can look at it with it up on his lift.

Maybe your CV boot Is shot. People say that the right rear CV boot goes first because it gets the most heat from the engine. Just my .02

Maybe your CV boot Is shot. People say that the right rear CV boot goes first because it gets the most heat from the engine. Just my .02

Yeah not sure, it's just odd how when the car warms up the noise stops. It is almost like a scraping noise coming from the right rear. Wouldn't think a CV would make that noise, but then again I am no mechanic, lol

i had a noise like that, it sounded like a rotational noise wobbling when coming up to speed. i first thought i had a 2 way lsd (which clunks), but it ended up like sarge said the bearing at the cv boot.

From your story, it sounds like the pads. Driving 30 miles probably heats them up.

I usually try to stick with oem pads especially with Japanese vehicle as they like organic material for the noise factor. As far as I know Toyota always use organic pads for the noise reason.

Yeah it isn't a wobble or anything like that. It sounds more like a scraping. The guy at the Acura dealer asked me if a rock could have lodged between the brake and rotor causing the scraping sound, and just fell out from hitting a bump or something Hence why they couldn't hear it! But it made sense at the time, but the next time I cranked it up the noise was back.

The guy at the Acura dealer asked me if a rock could have lodged between the brake and rotor causing the scraping sound, and just fell out from hitting a bump or something

Don't let that moron anywhere near your car. A rock lodging between the pad and rotor? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Put the car on a lift or jackstands and rotate the rear tires by hand and see if you can pinpoint the noise. The CV boot kit is relatively inexpensive and if your brake pads are close to needing replacement, get Carbotech Bobcats on all 4 corners.

A rock..........that's just too damn funny!

I only have one question: What pads are on the car?

LarryB

I know this rock things sounds crazy. I had been trying to find a similar noise in my car for about 6 months. I finally found a rock stuck between the right rear lower A arm and the frame mount. It would make an awful grinding sound under braking and suspension loading. I finally found it after it started driving strange and I thought I had a bad tire.I put it on the lift and noticed the rear alignment marks were different. Thats when I found the rock with aluminum ground into both sides of it. All good now.

It could be a stuck caliper perhaps. Check for uneven pad wear and/or extra heat on that caliper/rotor compared to the other side.

It could be a wheel bearing. But, they tend to be more consistent in their symptoms.

Can you try swerving a little while driving and see if that has any effect?

Racey/sporty pads tend to sound like grinding until they get warm - but the sound should come from all 4 corners, not just one corner.

Hi, i had the exact problem with my 2005, just a couple of months ago. I took it to the dealer twice and it would not make the noise. I finally discovered it would make the noise everytime if I would drive over the lane deflectors on the street. So the dealer replaced the brake pads and the noise went away. Good luck.

Yeah. Thanks for all the help, I was down at the beach this weekend but I am going to try and get to the root of it. Yeah at first I couldn't believe that they would tell me it was a rock but hell I was all ears considering the noise just needs to be fixed.

The brake pads on their now I am not sure what they are. Not sure so much about the CV joint, the car was inspected at the local acura dealership and the only thing they did was replaced the left side lower ball joint assy and replaced the right lower ball joint cover.

I want to say the brakes are OEM with the Brembo Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors. But like I said it doesn't make the sound when I run the car 30 miles are so!

Can you try swerving a little while driving and see if that has any effect?

Racey/sporty pads tend to sound like grinding until they get warm - but the sound should come from all 4 corners, not just one corner.
------------

Swerving doesn't make it any worse or less. Say if I am coming up to a stop sign, I apply the brakes I get the grinding sound. I turn and accelerate hit a bump in the road it makes the sound. Then it goes away! Quiet til next time i hit the brakes, then gets quiet. Then completely quits after 20-30 or so miles.

Don't let that moron anywhere near your car. A rock lodging between the pad and rotor? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dont laugh but Ive had this before, I was driving an M3 and kept hearing this noise...everyone thought I was crazy. I took the wheel off and you could actually see a circular groove that was kinda etched into the rotor:wink:Rare but it happens:frown:

From your story, it sounds like the pads. Driving 30 miles probably heats them up.

this is most likely the correct answer. the symptoms/sounds you are describing sound exactly like an almost entirely worn down pad.

Does that sound like a brake issue? Like the pads are worn down enough to change them? I drove the damn car all the way to the Acura Dealership in Winston-Salem and I explained to them what was happening. The guy got in the seat and drove it a mile or two and it never made the sound once. then they look at the brakes and claim they still have life on them.
On the '91-96 NSX, you can see the top edge of the outer brake pad by looking through the spokes of the wheel, just standing alongside the car, without removing the wheel. For more details on how to do this, click here, or ask a knowledgeable friend to show you how - it's the same as on any other car with disk brakes. Have a flashlight handy. The front brakes come with 11 mm pad thickness when new, the rears 9 mm, and you have to replace them when they get down to 2 mm.

It's not as thorough an inspection as removing the wheel, which enables you to examine the inner pad as well as the entire length of the outer pad, but the pads usually wear evenly enough that it will give you a good idea of how much pad material is left.

Even if you're not a "do it yourselfer", this is easy to learn. Especially since you don't have to do anything to the car to inspect them yourself.

I had a noise coming from the right rear of the car and it was a bad carrier bearing.
I first thought it was brakes too but they were all recently replaced so i suspected it might be something else.

My noise was more noticable in turns than anything else.

What you are describing might be the transmission too. Mine was whining a bit before i changed to the new Honda white cap fluid.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback and tips. I took the NSX out today and wanted to update the thread .

When I crank the car and start to drive, when I apply the brakes i hear the noise from the back right when I stop. After 20 or so miles the noise when braking stops and then I hear it when hitting bumps and sometimes when i get on it.

So now I am confused.

So would it be CV joint?
Brakes?
or something lodged between the Caliper and Rotor?

I will look tommorow at the pads again ( I am sure they are larger than 2mm ) and I will look to see if I see something lodged between the the calliper to rotor area. But I made sure I drove and listened to everything today, just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thx for all the help in advance.,

Back