• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

noise while listening to radio

I noticed after I installed my SC that I hear a little noise while listening to the radio. The noise does not increase with throttle position and gets a little better as the car is warmed up. The same noise was present with the OEM head unit and the new one. While watching a DVD or listening to Pandora or CD everything is perfect. The BOSE speaker units were re-furbished by BOSE 9 years ago.

Any suggestions

I am sure I am not the only one out there.

One of bose amp is bad or going bad mine had a ticking sound. It's time for a rebuild or completely eliminate your bose amp and bypass it by running the wire directly from your head unit to the speaker.

It's called Dubstep; this horrible music kids these days are listening to... Try changing the radio station to something else more palatable.

You need to describe the noise more.

If it's a tick-tick-tick that goes faster and slower with the engine speed, then it's coming from EMI/arcing somewhere in the engine.

If it's a crackle unrelated to the engine speed, then it's more likely in the amps (which after 9 years really don't owe you anything).

But you said it's only with the radio, not other sources, which makes me think it's EMI. The main causes are: coil problems (there's a TSB about this), antenna grounding problems (also a TSB), or wrong spark plugs (I had this problem; the guy who did my 90K put in standard plugs to save a few bucks instead of the OEM resistor plugs).

Here's another clue: does your garage door opener work less reliably since the problem showed up? If so, it's definitely and EMI problem, most likely the plugs.

I will have to double check but when I installed the SC I did change the plugs out. I am pretty sure they are not the same plug # as OEM.

Correct the sound is only present on the radio but sounds perfect on all other modes. So I do not think that it is the amps within the BOSE.

Back