• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

notchy reverse

ENSSEX

Suspended
My 2003 has what I call an almost impossible to get into reverse...I have the short shifter (already in the car when I bought it) the anodized ball with mesh bag short shifter i assume that is the type R kit..

I changed my fluid at the dealer last week using the Honda MTF fluid...

I would like to go back to the OEM shifter I think if this is the problem...Can any one chime in on this...:confused:

Try putting it into a forward gear (1-5/6), then sliding it into reverse. Sometimes you just gotta line everything up first before it'll go into reverse. I have to do this on occasion in the nsx, and in my ford truck too.

The issue with reverse, as opposed to many other manual transmissions is that the reverse gear HAS a syncro. In order for it to work properly the mainshaft must be spinning, at least a small amount.

Typically what happens is you start the car with the clutch depressed, then try to go into reverse. At that time the transmission shafts are NOT moving, and reverse, or any other gear, can be difficult.

What you want to do is make sure you release the clutch pedal in nuetral for a second or two WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, then depress the clutch and go to reverse. By releasing the clutch pedal you will allow the mainshaft in the transmission to spin at engine speed, and allow the syncro to properly operate.

Try it, you will like it:)

HTH,
LarryB

The issue with reverse, as opposed to many other manual transmissions is that the reverse gear HAS a syncro. In order for it to work properly the mainshaft must be spinning, at least a small amount.

Typically what happens is you start the car with the clutch depressed, then try to go into reverse. At that time the transmission shafts are NOT moving, and reverse, or any other gear, can be difficult.

What you want to do is make sure you release the clutch pedal in nuetral for a second or two WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, then depress the clutch and go to reverse. By releasing the clutch pedal you will allow the mainshaft in the transmission to spin at engine speed, and allow the syncro to properly operate.

HTH,
LarryB
Thank's for that. That drives me nuts.:smile:

HTH,
LarryB

Pure genius!

Back