• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX ALMOST got slammed into!

My heart was in my throat tonight. Why does it seem like I am so often nearly in car crashes while in the NSX, but not in my Civic?

It was about 12:30 AM, was stopped at a red light and I noticed in the rear-view mirror a Mazda Miata approaching very quickly behind me. I saw it half-way changed/swerved lanes like the driver knew they couldn't stop in time, but then got back in my lane for some reason. I was behind another car, so I couldn't run the light or pull out of the lane. I burned out until I was right friggin' behind the car in front (maybe gained 5 or 6 feet of ground) of me and fortunately the Miata stopped in time. I staled my NSX in the heat of the moment and was sitting in a smelly cloud of tire smoke. It was SO close. I thought he was going to hit. I decided to not express my thoughts on his driving and just went along my way. It was probably a dumb drunkard.

I feel like my close call ratio in the NSX is really high. So many other instances too. Cars love to pull in front of me on highway on-ramps and cruise along in the merge lane at 50 mph, so that I end up tailgating them because a semi-truck is tailgating me as I tried to merge on the highway. It's like the moron in front of me going 50 mph in a 70 mph zone has a death wish that he wants me to be a part of. Minivans, white industrial vans and Prius' are repeated offenders of trying to get me killed on interstate on-ramps.

That's basically the end of my rant. I was just paralyzed with fear as I thought my nearly pristine, red, NSX was going to be victim to it's first crash. Thanks goodness that didn't happen.:redface:

My heart was in my throat tonight. Why does it seem like I am so often nearly in car crashes while in the NSX, but not in my Civic?

It was about 12:30 AM, was stopped at a red light and I noticed in the rear-view mirror a Mazda Miata approaching very quickly behind me. I saw it half-way changed/swerved lanes like the driver knew they couldn't stop in time, but then got back in my lane for some reason. I was behind another car, so I couldn't run the light or pull out of the lane. I burned out until I was right friggin' behind the car in front (maybe gained 5 or 6 feet of ground) of me and fortunately the Miata stopped in time. I staled my NSX in the heat of the moment and was sitting in a smelly cloud of tire smoke. It was SO close. I thought he was going to hit. I decided to not express my thoughts on his driving and just went along my way. It was probably a dumb drunkard.

Yikes! Glad to NOT be reading about you getting hit.

I generally despise Prius drivers and their complete lack of skill or awareness (...and I don't generalize this way very often, have nearly been killed by 3 separate Prius drivers while on my motorcycle... one lost his mirror to my armored glove)

I just avoid trucks and driving at 12:30am altogether... drunks do stupid stuff

Yikes! Glad to NOT be reading about you getting hit.

I generally despise Prius drivers and their complete lack of skill or awareness (...and I don't generalize this way very often, have nearly been killed by 3 separate Prius drivers while on my motorcycle... one lost his mirror to my armored glove)

I just avoid trucks and driving at 12:30am altogether... drunks do stupid stuff

+100

It's them and their "hypermiling." I agree in environmental stewardship and that we should not unnecessarily waste previous nature resources. However, I do not agree in "greenpeace fanaticism." Although the fundamentals of hypermiling are sound, there are those who take it to the extreme at the cost of safety and consideration of others; namely a lot of Prius and other hybrid drivers. Certain action in coasting and saving fuel at the cost of situational awareness and blocking the flow of traffic is just plain stupid, reckless, selfish, dangerous, and ignorant. I especially hate the ones who coast behind you without brakes hoping that the light changes green before they hit you; in order to save gas and maintain enough kinetic energy through momentum. That's what regenerative braking is for!!!

I also find that I get a lot of close calls in the NSX. Sometimes it either feels like the other cars want to be near you because of coolness of the NSX. At other times, it feels like contempt (especially from big trucks and american "pony" cars). I usually try to slow down and leave a few car lengths if I see mini-vans, trucks, rust buckets, "pony" cars, and especially riced-out civics. However, usually there is some mysterious magnet that brings them back close along with a glaring driver.

+100

I also find that I get a lot of close calls in the NSX. Sometimes it either feels like the other cars want to be near you because of coolness of the NSX. At other times, it feels like contempt (especially from big trucks and american "pony" cars). I usually try to slow down and leave a few car lengths if I see mini-vans, trucks, rust buckets, "pony" cars, and especially riced-out civics. However, usually there is some mysterious magnet that brings them back close along with a glaring driver.

At least I'm not the only person who has these kind of experiences. I installed a third brake light flasher after a near-miss with a mini-van driven by a soccer mom. I've just learned to ignore the ricers and Mustangs trying to race me and to give SUVs and pickups a wide margin! I once had a utility truck chase me to over 100mph.

At least I'm not the only person who has these kind of experiences. I installed a third brake light flasher after a near-miss with a mini-van driven by a soccer mom. I've just learned to ignore the ricers and Mustangs trying to race me and to give SUVs and pickups a wide margin! I once had a utility truck chase me to over 100mph.

Haha, and I thought I was in "redneck truck country" where the locals think F-150s are classy and the fastest, meanest, vehicle out on the market. Think Texan meets Alabama but with no social/cultural restraint.

I am convinced that I have "Idiot Magnets" installed in the front and rear bumper of my 91 NSX.

Case in point, last Sunday I'm driving on a six lane parkway (three lanes in either direction with a wide median). I am constantly checking 360 degrees all around me looking, as always, for danger. My favorite is people who try to "sneak up on me" and then cut me off, blow by me in a race I didn't know we were running, or who want to cruise in my blind spot.

I spot a Corvette entering the parkway behind me, and watch in amazement as the driver weaves through traffic as if a police helicopter was after him...to include passing people in the far right thru lane by using the off ramp and then cutting back in front of them when the ramp ran out. The driver screams past in the far left lane (I'm in the far right), cuts across all lanes of traffic to slow down in front of me, then floors it and disappears into the sunset. An absolute idiot...and unfortunately not a cop in sight.

I am convinced that I have "Idiot Magnets" installed in the front and rear bumper of my 91 NSX.

Case in point, last Sunday I'm driving on a six lane parkway (three lanes in either direction with a wide median). I am constantly checking 360 degrees all around me looking, as always, for danger. My favorite is people who try to "sneak up on me" and then cut me off, blow by me in a race I didn't know we were running, or who want to cruise in my blind spot.

I spot a Corvette entering the parkway behind me, and watch in amazement as the driver weaves through traffic as if a police helicopter was after him...to include passing people in the far right thru lane by using the off ramp and then cutting back in front of them when the ramp ran out. The driver screams past in the far left lane (I'm in the far right), cuts across all lanes of traffic to slow down in front of me, then floors it and disappears into the sunset. An absolute idiot...and unfortunately not a cop in sight.
Trust me, if that had been you driving like that, you'd have attracted every cop within a 100 mile radius, and you would have been written up!!!:wink:

Back