• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX as a daily driver in the DC metro area?

I'm considering purchasing an NSX. I live in the DC metro area.

Does anyone in the area use their NSX as a daily driver year round?

I'd like to know how well the car will 'behave' during the colder/winter months.

I did do a search and it looks like the car can be driven in the snow (crazy canadian article...) ...I would like to hear advice/experiences from owners in the DC metro area.thanks.

Thanks.

I have a NSX and I live in Alexandria. I don't use it as a daily driver but it is a tame enough car (when you want it to be) to drive on a daily basis. It handles the potholes surprisingly well if you have the stock suspension and has a very usable trunk for normal errands. The problem, as you know, is traffic in DC area SUCKS and most of the drivers are horrible. I constantly see people driving and talking on the phone, eating, reading, putting on makeup all at the same time! It's amazing. Because of these geniuses :rolleyes: I don't feel safe driving my POS Camry around DC area but at least if someone hits me I won't feel so bad about the car being damaged.

So if you are wondering if you can drive it around on a daily basis, sure if you don't mind the added depreciation, constant rock chips from construction dump trucks, and increased cost for normal repairs and maintenance. I recommend just getting a normal Camry, Accord, Civic for daily driving and use the NSX as a treat!

I'm in northern Md and I use my NSX to commute daily. You definitely need another car to use when there is snow, ice, etc.

good luck

The NSX can be driven daily anywhere....you just have to adjust accordingly. ;)

I wouldn't even recommend drive your NSX in DC. Man those roads are terrible :D
This is my first winter own a NSX. I plan to put her in storage until the winter is over. I know for sure even if I look at her I might drive her for the helluva it.

I have to agree with most everyone else. I lived in Alexandria for about a year. I do not own a NSX, but I did own a Prelude (94) and a Civic (89). When I first moved to DC area the only car running was the Civic, after I got the Prelude running I did not bring it to the area. As everyone else mentioned, the traffic is horrible and the drivers up there or crazy. I would be scared to drive my NSX (if I had one) in that area, but what is the point of owning car if you don’t drive it?

While I'm very south of you, I drive my NSX through out the winter.

I just swap the Yokohama's for Michelin All-season tires. And I take it very easy if there is snow on the road.

I drove an MR-2 for ten years all year round. You learn to take it easy. OTOH, I have my wife's Jeep for a ride when it gets really bad.

Daily driver? no problem, it's a Honda remember? I own a 03 Silverstone NSX and drive it daily. In the past year, I've racked up 35k miles on that thing. Alot right? I drive it to AC, NY, OC, around the beltway, downtown DC, movies, groceries, Home Depot, you name it! Keep in mind, the 35k is very misleading, the tach sees 7k more than ten times a day. I figure that I need to get my money's worth out of this car instead of decorating the garage with it.

If you are going to use it as a daily driver in and around DC, keep your stock rims. I have 18/19 on mine and they were almost all bent within 6 months and I only drive it on the weekends. I am thinking of going to a 17/18 combo. It is impossible to remember where all of the potholes are! Also the wider tire combos are lousy in the snow, or even rain.

Nate in DC

Back