• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX as a scalpel

I got a bit of a late start heading out to work today – but I was in the NSX, thank goodness. A few observations about the commute:
On the surface road, waiting in traffic for the red light to turn so I could get on the beltway, I was behind a large truck. As soon as it moved, I was able to get around it, put on a quick burst of speed and was the last one through the green; everyone else got there too late and had to sit through a looong light.
In the daily driver Accord you often have to hang back and work your way over into whatever slot you can get. But this morning I merged into the fast lane without a struggle. In the NSX, you can just pick a line and power into it.
At one point I had a slow person in front of me in the fast lane and a pickup to my right that wouldn’t slow down or speed up. I was boxed. A quick pump on the brakes, a twitch of the wheel, and a stab at the throttle –I was around that rolling obstruction and free of a wolf pack.
Note that none of this is stunting on the highway, it’s simply using the superior characteristics of the car to overcome the mundane things one might encounter on the road.
A couple of miles before my exit, some dude in a beat-up, babysh!t-colored mini-truck moves into my otherwise completely clear lane and proceeds to go slow. He lets this yawning gap open in front of him and all sorts of 18-wheelers and grandma-mobiles start drifting in front of him. I hate rudeness. I don’t do this to others; I get out of the way of faster people, especially in the left lane. But it looks like it’s too much to expect they won’t do the same for me. When I was able to get around him, I let him hear my exhaust in order to wake him up and signal my displeasure.
I carve up traffic in the NSX. In some ways, so-called practical vehicles – such as sedans and SUV’s – are impractical, if you haven’t enough power and maneuverability to avoid the cell-phone talkers, paper-readers, makeup-appliers and gangsta-leaners. I hate to use up the NSX doing the daily grind, but it’s a good weapon to take into battle on the highway – and I mean this metaphorically, not literally, of course.
Anyway, I rolled into work right on time. I estimate I got here 10 minutes faster than I would have in the Accord, simply because of the efficiencies that can be had from the NSX.

Good post.

I agree , using the superior power of the car to avoid rolling roadblocks or getting out into traffic when you normally cannot with a mundane family sedan really makes a difference.

Not flying around wildly or excessively speeding but using the NSX like a scalpel.

Another good application is on the on ramp to the highway when the car or cars in front of you try to merge at 45mph when the traffic is flowing at 65+mph.

A quick flick of the wrist and a spurt of throttle you can swing around the slow poke and MERGE at a reasonable speed instead of 20mph slower than the the traffic flow.

You guys have got it. Stories from the racetrack are always great, but probably 99% of you car’s miles are road miles, and it shines there, too.:smile:

I heard HPD was looking for a lunatic driver in a silver NSX that was running little old ladies off the highway this morning.

Sounds like my daily commute in LA! That's why the NSX is a great daily driver. :cool:

ditto... every day I watch people sit in the fast lane with 30 car lengths in front of them riding the brakes when nothing is there... this drives me nuts! and when I beep at them they have no idea why... :eek::confused:

^ This is the reason we have traffic!

If you're traveling on the 10 west in the mornings, there's a turn right before the 405 and EVERYONE hits their brakes as if they're about to fly off into space due to the sheer inertia going through that turn... When I know this turn was designed to be taken at the speed limit and can easily be taken at almost double that (not that i have tried lol ;))

When I know this turn was designed to be taken at the speed limit and can easily be taken at almost double that

A lot of our interstates are designed for double the speed listed.

This is for high speed military transport in case of act of war. Automobiles would be banned use of the highways in the event of national security event so we could deploy military as quickly as possible. Double the posted speed is VERY doable in that scenario.

How about those who while stopped in the left turn lane and upon engaging the accelerator when the green arrow appears, proceed to hit the brake while turning left doing 5mph. I don't do roadrage. However, I can't help roll my eyes when I see drivers doing silly things like that.

Oh, and one more. The guy who stops 4 car lengths at a light with you behind him. Then, during the next 50 seconds while the light is red, proceeds to creep up foot by foot leaving you 4 car lengths behind him. They're not all female drivers. They are, however, predominately Camry owners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh, and one more. The guy who stops 4 car lengths at a light with you behind him. Then, during the next 50 seconds while the light is red, proceeds to creep up foot by foot leaving you 4 car lengths behind him. They're not all female drivers. They are, however, predominately Camry owners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I tell this to people I meet. The U.S.A, has some of the WORST drivers in the world. Why ? Because EVERYONE here has a license , even if they cannot drive with any proficiency and with knowing there is other drivers on the road or not, they don't care. :mad:

Interesting thread. The title threw me off at first. The one thing I have noticed in watching the videos from Japan are the Japanese drivers tend to move over if they spot a faster car. Granted the guys that post videos on the Wangan are crazy, but at least the people on the road acknowledge the other car is faster and move over. People here don't do that. They either want to race you or think by keeping up or getting ahead of you they are accomplishing something. Most times when I get cut off, they slow down and drive the speed limit again.

Recently, I saw a police pursuit on the freeway where some people simply wouldn't pull over to let the escaping car pass. In fact, some people were actually speeding up because they didn't want the guy to get in front. I've seen people block fire trucks responding to an accident. It made me wonder if getting through the intersection is more important to some people than the injured people bleeding out on the sidewalk. Overall, I think most people simply don't pay attention when they are driving.

Overall, I think most people simply don't pay attention when they are driving.

I think this is the real problem, and its definitely gotten worse! Way too many distractions and possibly cars are just getting too easy. With a hermetically modern econobox, its like you're sitting in your living room :D People feel just fine talking, texting, wathcing movies :eek: Everything except, you know, actually DRIVING. LOL

Here in PA we have what I consider an "interesting pickup truck" problem. It seems every pickup I run into is lifted, modded, capable of running 8s in the quarter mile and driven by a psychopath. LOL. When you combine these guys with the soccer mom set doing 150 while talking into their cell phone (holding it as a speaker) in a Cayenne or MDX, and then add in the aforementioned folks slowly drifting along at 20MPH without a care in the world, it makes for quite an adventure! :D

As has already been stated, "Driving is a full time and potentially dangerous act that requires your full attention and dedicated skills." Anyone that thinks differently has not been inside a 3000+ lb. metal box going 30+ mph and hitting something or being hit. The few times I get the chance to be a passenger while in a car often puts me in the position of being the "lookout!" guy.

"Lookout!"... "Watch out for that guy!"... "You didn't signal!"... "Look over your shoulder before changing lanes." :eek:

LOL. To the OP, I hate the gangsta leaners! The worst is when the lean is so far back that their seat is reclined to allow their head to rest on the back seat. Basically all u see is an arm, in some feat of contortion, actually at the 12 o clock of the wheel. The best part is many times they are in the fast lane doing 90. I guess when you're gangsta it doesn't have to make sense.

It didn't use to be so bad when there were no cell phones. Now everyone is on a cell. Not paying enough attention to keep up!

European drivers are so much better - they're also more educated. When I drove in Europe years ago - on a two lane road with emergency sides if you wanted to pass, you just put on the blinker - and everone just pulled over into the emergency lane and you went right down the middle of the road - it was awesome. You could no more trust folks in this country to do that than you could ask em to give up their cell phones.

How bout if we had speed limits like they do on the autobahn - think we have a bunch of deaths?

The problem is everyone thinks they are too important here in the US. Anything they need to do is important. It could be make up, phone calls, reading the newspaper, breakfast, and heck even listening to music. I think the real problem is everyone has this "my time equals lost money" so F*** everyone else I need to get s**t done. I loathe with a passion when people call while I'm driving. I usually just pick up, tell them I'm driving, and if they know me good enough they get the point that I just want them to shut up and stop bothering me hehe.

I don't know about you guys but when I drive the majority of the time I'm driving around looking in mirrors and checking everything around me so I know where ever god damn driver is around me. I'll admit I probably am one of the faster drivers on the road but at least when I spot someone coming up, usually I noticed them way in advance. I just move over, then continue back on when they or whoever else may be behind them, have completely passed me.

This morning I witnessed a rear-ending in the lane right next to mine. Usually I hear the bang and then turn to see the aftermath, but today I saw the whole thing. Some woman in a big black SUV was putting on her makeup in stop-and-go traffic and rolled right into the back of a little red Nissan truck. It wasn’t a light tap, either.
I had started the thread to highlight how good the NSX was at darting left and right and out of trouble, but you guys honed in on the essence of it. The thread should have been about how (And here I go stating the obvious) drivers these days suck.

Back