• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Automatics

First let me wish everyone season's greetings from the high desert of New Mexico.

For 3 years, I owned a '91 Black/Black automatic.
I lived in NYC then and didn't want to fight the traffic
while shifting with a siatica condition and having coming off spine
surgery for a blown disc.

I knew I wanted an NSX after owning several sportscars
including a '93 RX7 twin-turbo that was so fickle and costly
it almost made me give up on sportscars completely.

I knew an automatic transmission was not the typical
option for the "die-hard" sportscar enthusiast, but it was
auto or no NSX at the time. I finally found one that
needed some work and I enjoyed every minute I owned it.
I shifted the automatic like a stick and the engine responded
beautifully.

I put a Taitec Exhaust in and as I shifted, I could
hear the whine of the VTEC inches behind me.
Best moments wre driving through tunnels or under overpasses as the sound reverberated off the walls. I'd crack the windows in anticipation of that sensual scream.

Since then, I have moved to New Mexico. I sold the '91
a year ago and tried to replace it with a Boxster and '80 Carrera with
whale tail.

Now that I live in an area where shifting is not a burden, but
a privilege and pleasure, I have purchased a '98 6 spd.Targa in Yellow.

Once you've driven an NSX, automatic or stick, it gets into your
blood. Sitting in the cockpit of the NSX looking out onto the road
between the wheel wells is one of the great pleasures any
car (at any price) affords you.

Take off the TCS and shift away with the (older) automatic or stick.

As you know, Ayrton Senna owned and drove NSXs for years and helped
in its development. I want you to go to this NSX Prime site and see
for yourself that one of Senna's NSXs was indeed an automatic.

www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4350

An NSX by any other transmission is still an NSX.

Larry T

legend2nsx said:
Automatic trans problems again. Third gear slipping again any thoughts, had trans rebuilt about 10k miles ago for the same problem.

Just curious is your call all stock or modded? Also how many miles on your NSX? OBTW, is the tranny still under warranty?

1TITENSX said:
Just curious is your call all stock or modded? Also how many miles on your NSX? OBTW, is the tranny still under warranty?

Yeah....you would think there would be a warranty with their repair. :frown:

I've had the modded torque converter in my auto for a couple months now, and IMO it makes a big difference over stock. It feels much stronger.

Compression ratio

nsxpowered said:
the Auto NSX has 9.5 or 9.6 compression.
I’ve never heard of this before. It’s listed as 10.2:1 (same as the MT) in everything I’ve ever read. Where did you get this number?

unless your handicapped why else would you buy an auto NSX? Guys, please think long and hard about your man hood before you say "so my wife can drive it".... Buy her a Miata :biggrin:

I've done 3 or 4 CTSC's on autos and they are stil fine AFAIK. That said, I find the NSX AutoTrans to be a very weak link. Its funny to see this come up today, as I am about to crack one open. Its the fifth or sixth (I try to forget them) I have done. Most have been from cars between 70 and 100k miles, but did a 49k mile one about a year ago. The one I am doing today (and tomorrow and Saturday) was shipped to me without the car from a shop in SoCal and they SAY that car has only 40k miles on it If anybody told me, with what I know and have seen, that they could 'bulletproof' one for 500hp, and stand behind it, I would insist on an escrow company. :eek:

JMO, FWIT,
MB

Lopaka: thank you for the input. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Ojas: I was searching high and low for those redline / mph numbers and stumbled on a site with obviously terrible information. You are correct 10.2 for both.

Back