• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Bumper Removal Instructions (1991-2001)

I had to remove my front bumper to fix and issue (and probably get it re-sprayed). I didn't see any video DYI's so I documented the process to support the "team". The video complete so you will not need the service manual or the NSXPrime Wiki.

I hope this helps. PM me with any questions or if I have said anything incorrectly.

Bumper Removal (UPDATED 4/23/2019 WITH BETTER DOCUMENTATION INCLUDING HOW TO REMOVE WITHOUT REMOVING THE BUMPER BAR)

https://youtu.be/SdRmuUtekOo

Bumper Disassembly (Split the bumper halves)

https://youtu.be/C5kVbwonOP8

Bumper Re-Assembly (putting the bumper halves back together)

https://youtu.be/uWaG3YdQntQ

Bumper Installation back on the car

https://youtu.be/NLNAGvmGAa0

Last edited:
NOTE: Updated my Bumper Removal Video after learning a few things after taking it on and off a few times after repainting and getting Paint Protection Film Applied. I was updated on 4/23/2019 (as noted in the edits).

Whoa. Respect given. My front bumper is a bit loose in the same way you describe in your second video. I’d be interested in how you approached it if you video’ed it.

Thanks for those videos!

Whoa. Respect given. My front bumper is a bit loose in the same way you describe in your second video. I’d be interested in how you approached it if you video’ed it.

Thanks for those videos!

...sadly, I had to buy a new upper bumper. I kept the old one to maybe repair one day. Apparently that type plastics doesn’t bond well with glue. You get into a situation of melting metal mesh into the plastic so it will hold (maybe). I bit the bullet and got a bumper before there aren’t any left... I have one more group of video clips to add. Will do so in the next week or so. This whole full time job thing is always getting in the way...

Mike: Thanks for the update. I contacted you earlier about repairing the bumper on my 2000. Mine cracked by the passenger headlight. A local body shop said they could fix the split via plastic welding process. I have my doubts. I sent my car out for a few months for a new clutch, timing belt and a rebuilding of the steering rack.It's back and I am now ready to tackle the front bumper. In your experience, is it better to paint the bumper off the car or install it and have a shop paint it? I found a new bumper in south Florida for about $950. Is that inline on what you paid? I am having the roof painted as well. Thanks. Jerry

I would love to know if the plastic welding process would work. I may buy a kit and try in on my original bumper. I did work with Joe from Vince's Autobody a long time ago (NY). He stated that he had an adhesive that has held for the bumper split situation (different from yours issue) . He did that one mine but for whatever reason it didn't hold (maybe I hit something). I recall he said it was like $50 a tube also. You being in the passenger headlight area may be more challenging. I suspect the cracked area is in a visible location. Now you need the surface to blend properly (although you can use bondo so I guess that's ok). The benefit of the split area I have is you really can't see it. It simply needs to hold.

Painting: They really need to remove the bumper to paint it properly. For all the money you just spent on clutch, belt, rack, you really want to do it right. Most shops will need you to bring the car with the bumper on because they need to be able to blend the paint. They really shouldn't paint on the car. You can share the video to help them remove (may save time figuring it out). I find many times people don't put the parts back on right. I took mine back off and aligned ( I got extra screws back although full disclosure, the guy that did mine was doing it on the side AND I did tell him don't be concerned about the details of the bumper install because I was removing it for paint protection film).

That bumper price is right about what I paid and mine was also from Florida. Naples Acura comes to mine. I think it was like $1200 shipped.

Added the 3rd Video. I have a 4th that I finish at some point for putting the bumper back on and getting it aligned.

Bumper install

Mike: Thanks for the update. I see you installed the bumper bar. Do you have to remove the bar in order to remove and reinstall the upper and lower bumper? Great video. Jerry

Mike: Thanks for the update. I see you installed the bumper bar. Do you have to remove the bar in order to remove and reinstall the upper and lower bumper? Great video. Jerry

Hey Jerry. You do NOT need to remove the bumper bar. I updated my disassembly video stating this. You will just need to release the metal "springs" that are attached to the bumper bar (this is very easy, the just bend out of the way).

If there is a video on installing the back bumper (I have an 02+ version) I'd like to see it. I had a little paint work done on my rear valence and the shop removed the complete bumper assembly and when reinstalled, it didn't completely line up. I took it back once and they improved the alignment, but still not as good as original. At this point, I just want to try and get the alignment perfect by DIY. I may be a little too picky...

If there is a video on installing the back bumper (I have an 02+ version) I'd like to see it. I had a little paint work done on my rear valence and the shop removed the complete bumper assembly and when reinstalled, it didn't completely line up. I took it back once and they improved the alignment, but still not as good as original. At this point, I just want to try and get the alignment perfect by DIY. I may be a little too picky...

If I ever take the rear off I will document. Haven’t done that yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back