• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX..daily driver? price?

Hello All, New to the forum..had a few questions..

I have always loved the NSX..put simply its gorgeous. I was wondering how are they as daily drivers and what is the best year to get with a budget off around 30k-35k. I plan on buying a new car in about a year and its come down between a NSX, 90-94 911 Carrera 2/4 or possible an Audi S4.
I really want something that I can drive every day, exotic, and fast. The 951 might become a lil too modded to be a daily driver in the next year or so and Im keeping a look out for a future daily driver.
Any help appreciated! Thanks!

------------------
Best Regards,
Sam Grant
86 951 many mods..soon SDS engine management, APEXiAVCR, 18psi.

nsx is the way to go. i checked out my options in the thirty something range and liked the nsx best. ive only had it three months and now im mad my daily driver is an escalade.

ive driven it around for work, and besides a lack of cupholders, limited space, and the fact you have to shift while on the cell phone, I LOVE IT!!! ps. i run around calling on clients so i live in my vehicles...

i own a black/black 91, had 16,500 miles, paid 36500$

and oh yeah, i think id sell my wife before the nsx(and my wife's pretty cool)

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like the NSX is exactly what Im looking for when I get out in the real world..

-Whats insurance like on them? <the 951 is no treat
smile.gif
>
-are 18's too much for a daily driver? and whats with some people putting 17s on the front and 18s on the back? is that a preference thing or the way some of them came?
-Are the parts typical Honda or are they more expensive since it is an exotic?
TIA!

------------------
Best Regards,
Sam Grant

Insurance varies, call around to get the best prices.

18" all around should work out fine as long as the wheels clear the calipers and don't stick out of the fender(unless you like that look). You need to make sure it doesn't activate TCS as well. The NSX came with a staggered wheel/tire combos. The '91-'93 came with 15/16", the '94-'01 came with 16/17", and the new '02 come with 17/17".

Maintenance isn't that bad, but you can run into some expensive fixes.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

-Whats insurance like on them? <the 951 is no treat
smile.gif
>

As Richard mentioned, call around. You can get insurance quotes from your insurance agent/company BEFORE you buy the car. Do it now.

There are also Internet sites like http://www.insweb.com where you can get quotes on-line.

-are 18's too much for a daily driver? and whats with some people putting 17s on the front and 18s on the back? is that a preference thing or the way some of them came?

It's strictly a preference thing and it's entirely for aesthetics; if you're happy with the looks of the stock wheels, keep them and save your money. I would NOT recommend 18's in front because tire selections are very few. You also risk damaging your wheels easily on potholes with such a short sidewall. And, of course, with the stock wheel sizes you can still use those sticky, great-handling OEM tires. (See the Tire Tech section of the FAQ for more info on the OEM tires.)

-Are the parts typical Honda or are they more expensive since it is an exotic?

Many of the parts are similar in price to more mundane cars. Some of the parts - particularly major assemblies like clutch, etc - are more expensive because they're engineered with more exotic materials and to higher tolerances.

Don't forget to spend some time browsing through the FAQ. There's lots of great information there. The table of contents is at http://www.nsxprime.com/toc.htm You can also find answers to lots of questions by doing a "search" on these forums. Lots of great info contributed by lots of great NSXprime members over the years.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 February 2002).]

Originally posted by SamGrant951:

I have always loved the NSX..put simply its gorgeous. I was wondering how are they as daily drivers and what is the best year to get with a budget off around 30k-35k.

...Im keeping a look out for a future daily driver.

My NSX is sort of a daily driver. I drive it about 3 times a week to work. It depends on the weather. It's as comfortable as any car I have ever driven. Compared to the '88 Trans Am I used to drive, it's like a luxury car.

I have had mine since June of last year and have put about 4000 miles on it. One thing to consider is that if you use the OEM tires, be prepared to replace the rears every 5K-8K miles.

As for insurance, I am 33, married, with a very clean driving record and pay $115 per month. Of course there are so many variables to insurance, it's impossible to gauge your situation compared to mine. I went from a 2001 Acura CL-S to a 2000 NSX-T and my insurance increased from $75 per month to $115 for the same coverage.

I noticed your signature says Muncie/Evansville. Are you from Evansville? Just wondering since Muncie is pretty far from here (I live in Evansville). Not many NSX's in this area. I see more Ferraris than NSX's.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
10,500 miles
No Mods

Im from Evansville, but attend college in Muncie. I finish up in a about 8 months or so.
You are right..not many NSXs in Evansville at all. Many more Porsches/Ferraris. My mechanic used to service a black twin turbo nsx..thats when i fell in love!
No acura dealership=no acuras i guess!

------------------
Best Regards,
Sam Grant

Originally posted by SamGrant951:

I was wondering how are they as daily drivers... I really want something that I can drive every day, exotic, and fast.

My NSX is a daily driver and I have no problems using it as a daily driver except for when it snows. For an exotic & for practicality, it's got an incredible amount of trunk space. It even fits 8 bags of groceries(paper) in the trunk. Other than the tire wear which can be remedied with different brand tires and alignment changes(for a sacrifice in performance), you can't go wrong. Heck, I pay $40 for an oil change. If that's not practical, what is?

My NSX is my daily driver.... and I mean DAILY. Every day for the past 3 years. I work every day so it's mostly just to work and back. I don't leave it in any parking lots so I don't use it to go shopping or something like that. I will use it to go out though only if there is a valet where I'm going. They just move the cones up front when the see me coming and I park it right there. Never fear it as a daily driver at all. Most reliable, problem free car I've ever owned and I've had over 25 cars. Good luck.

Back